What's new

JF-17 Block III's proposed AESA Radar KLJ-7A

So, if anybody had any serious doubts about JF-17 going toe-to-toe with any 4.5 Gen fighters, they ought to be dispelled. This baby is gonna kick many butts.

Rest assured, JF-17 Block III would have enough engine power to power any of these radars.
If Pak-China cooperation can milk even such bulls, what'll happen when they have real cows??????

@Bratva @Bilal Khan (Quwa) the above is in line with what @messiach said earlier. Block 3 will see mission specific aircrafts optimized for their own role.
If the LETRI LKF601E (air-cooled AESA radar) is the baseline of what's available, then the JF-17 Block-III will have pretty good sensor capabilities for conventional CAS missions. I hope the PAF makes the most out of it, ideally by retrofitting the Block-I and Block-IIs with the LKF601E and, in turn, arming them with a radar-guided A2G missile such as the YJ-9E. Not sure how much further they can optimize operating costs, but if doable, then we could have a Jaguar DARIN-like CAS asset for supporting armour and infantry (attack helicopters up close, JF-17s up high).

We're just missing something analogous the CBU-105, but I'd be shocked if China wasn't already working on a similar solution. It's a matter of time. IMO it's time to really double-down on the JF-17.

If the LETRI LKF601E (air-cooled AESA radar) is the baseline of what's available, then the JF-17 Block-III will have pretty good sensor capabilities for conventional CAS missions. I hope the PAF makes the most out of it, ideally by retrofitting the Block-I and Block-IIs with the LKF601E and, in turn, arming them with a radar-guided A2G missile such as the YJ-9E. Not sure how much further they can optimize operating costs, but if doable, then we could have a Jaguar DARIN-like CAS asset for supporting armour and infantry (attack helicopters up close, JF-17s up high).

We're just missing something analogous the CBU-105, but I'd be shocked if China wasn't already working on a similar solution. It's a matter of time. IMO it's time to really double-down on the JF-17.

In the short term, relying on CAS is a crutch. As more power becomes available in drones, the future of CAS will lie in drones.

But even then, air to ground will remain relevant for surgical strikes and to establish air dominance by eliminating airfields etc.

With a better AESA radar plus network centric warfare, a group of upgraded Block 2s would be a formidable BVR platform. Air to ground has two elements: stand off and tactical. Any radar would be of limited value against a ground target sitting hundreds of miles away. In the tactical role, SAR would be invaluable in identifying SAM threats. The efficacy would depend on the extent of multi-sensor fusion. We have a good electro-magnetic sensor. We need a good IRST, and then we need sensor fusion. Integration with Aselpod is key.

Block 3 should be a beast. That said, aircraft capabilities are employed in a graded manner. Hypothetically speaking, against the likes of F-22 and J-30, Block 3 would maintain radar silence and rely on AEWACS. Against Flankers it will utilize full spectrum but accompanied by an EW platform. And against Jaguars and Bisons there would be a bloodbath. Block 3 will need to excel in both BVR and WVR. So while radar plays an important role, HMDS is equally important.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Hakikat ve Hikmet @CriticalThought

See the Update to Post #628. What do you guys think? 80 EW Variant aircraft divided among the GCC as wartime reserve: Saudi 28, UAE 14, Qatar 14, Kuwait 10, Oman 8, Bahrain 6

It would effectively increase the PAF wartime force from 26 squadrans @442 fighters to 522; nearing the fighter strength of the IAF, and the qualitative ability to effectively go toe to toe with them.

Another consideration comes to mind with all the upgrades: weight and power demands will require a more powerful engine. Should the JF-17 be scaled up for the Block 3 with the WS-10 TVC engine should at this years Zhuhai Air Show for now and eventually the WS-15? the RD-93 has a diameter of 1.04 meters and a length of 4.23 meters while the WS-15 is planned to have a diameter of 1.02 and a length of 5.05 meters. The Thrust of the WS-15 will be more than double the Rd-93. The WS-15 will be nearly 200 KN or 44,000lb and have super cruise. This would also appeal to the GCC and PAF. Just a thought.

Also the Chinese have an equivalent to the CB-105 called TSA
https://www.army-technology.com/new...al-sensing-ammunition-production-moves-ahead/
http://i.imgur.com/iodqz.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a video showing the usefulness of the 60km range "Spear III" and what is possible if the Chinese are asked to match it for a Saudi JF-17 Block III Order.

The First 6 Minutes are about the Spear III but this channel has some interesting products; like the Full Motion Flight Simulator for Only 500,000 Euros (From 13:00 to 14:33) that China could also Match (beating it on price but enhancing it per customer requests) and offer for Sale as a cost Effective Flight Simulator for Fighter Training. Pakistan Should Also look at using simulator like this to test new recruits and keep up the skills of fighter pilots.

Here is a video showing the usefulness of the 60km range "Spear III" and what is possible if the Chinese are asked to match it for a Saudi JF-17 Block III Order.

The First 6 Minutes are about the Spear III but this channel has some interesting products; like the Full Motion Flight Simulator for Only 500,000 Euros (From 13:00 to 14:33) that China could also Match (beating it on price but enhancing it per customer requests) and offer for Sale as a cost Effective Flight Simulator for Fighter Training. Pakistan Should Also look at using simulator like this to test new recruits and keep up the skills of fighter pilots.

Pakistan has something very similar through the H-2 & H-4 precision strike weapons. https://quwa.org/2017/03/16/profile-denel-dynamics-raptor-stand-off-weapon/

Pakistan has something very similar through the H-2 & H-4 precision strike weapons. https://quwa.org/2017/03/16/profile-denel-dynamics-raptor-stand-off-weapon/

600kg warhead on the Current Pakistani Munitions, while the Spear III has a 100kg warhead, and you can fit so many more on one pylon for engaging multiple targets like Iranian speed boats (similar to the video) in the case of a proposed Saudi JF-17. Or in the case of the PAF; Engaging Multiple Indian Tanks or SAM radars/batteries. Resistance to jamming and a three mode seeker also help desern out the right target.

@amardeep mishra

2xAESA radar for JF-17
hi @farhan_9909
There is no doubt Chinese are doing some really good research in Aerospace Engineering. It can be gauged from their work in areas spanning all the allied fields of Aerospace. Metallurgy is perhaps their Achilles heels for now. However I wonder what practical utility will an air cooled AESA have on a platform such as JF-17 where space is a premium. I feel, PAF will eventually select the liquid cooled AESA from China as it can dissipate heat much more effectively etc.
Also, I have moved away from radars and my research interests lie in flight dynamics and optimal learning based controls. To that effect, I have papers at AIAA and IEEE.

yes,base on the interview even the cheaper one has a +- 100° degree vision.

Basically 200 degree ie more than 180 which covers complete frontal coverage so it goes beyond it by 10 degree on each side

Or it supports launch and moving away from target and still providing update to its launched missile

But not sure if three plates goes more than 200 degrees ?? Or pretty much Same with benefit of no mechanical parts and associated additional weight penalty

Links plz
hi @farhan_9909
There is no doubt Chinese are doing some really good research in Aerospace Engineering. It can be gauged from their work in areas spanning all the allied fields of Aerospace. Metallurgy is perhaps their Achilles heels for now. However I wonder what practical utility will an air cooled AESA have on a platform such as JF-17 where space is a premium. I feel, PAF will eventually select the liquid cooled AESA from China as it can dissipate heat much more effectively etc.
Also, I have moved away from radars and my research interests lie in flight dynamics and optimal learning based controls. To that effect, I have papers at AIAA and IEEE.

Back
Top Bottom