What's new

JF-17 Block III's proposed AESA Radar KLJ-7A

The link doesn't say anything that I didn't already say....the proprietary Radar, EW, Communications and Defensive applications are always built in ADA, Small Talk, etc. It tells you there is ADA. The rest, the flight controls, etc, they can be written in anything that your processor can quickly translate, C++ is for sure cheaper to maintain and abundant labor supply so it makes perfect sense. By the way, just for future reference, sites like Wiki and SourceForge or StackOverflow, are never credible for top secret projects like the JSF. In fact, people, per their visual demo can be writing their hearts out about how whatever demo they saw, actually "works", but its never the case. There is a reason its called top secret. Thanks

ADA or C++ does not hold any superiority in terms of programming ability over each other. They both are good high level OOP languages. IMO, Americans just choose ADA and then stick with it to utilize the pool of engineers and reuse resources they have developed over the years in their earlier projects. Pakistanis choose C++ because of readily available C++ experts in Pakistan (and abroad) and immense resources (libraries etc.) now available in C++.

Does anybody knows that the AESA Radar for JF17 will have STAP (Space Time Adaptive Processing) or not?

Last edited:
Just had my chinese friend sit with me and look at the original picture. LOLs even she couldn't understand everything :D because there is so many technical terms in it. She had to google for 'Active Electronically Scanned Array translation to Chinese' to find it out... but yep, the title after KLJ-17 says AESA :D

486INrp.jpg

When you say JFT's "software", the entire jet runs on software. Are you referring to the Radar / Avionics related to the Radar, TR/Modulation, etc? The military applications like these and for communication are made in ADA and Small Talk, etc. Not in C++. The HUD, the Flight Control tech is made in C++ in some countries to use COTS (Common Off the Shelf) products like the C++ and other commercially available tools and techniques. I'd like to find out what the JFT's radar modulation software is written in too.
thanks for reply. i mean radar and weapon control(for example see target and fire missile). because if this aesa radar selected then there ill be some new weapons also integrated. so this means software changes or up gradation will b necessary.

170KM maximum detection range against 3m^2 targets, which is about the same RCS as a clean configuration F-15SE. I don't know if that's narrow beam scan or wide angle scan though. It's slightly less powerful than the AESA being developed for J-10D/J-16, which is in turn less advanced than the one planned for J-20.

Last edited:
Will the JF-17 have the same or equivalent IRST of the J-10 mounted with this AESA Radar on the nose?

Will the JF-17 have the same or equivalent IRST of the J-10 mounted with this AESA Radar on the nose?
It certainly could, but that would drive up the cost further. Upgrades such as AESA, WS-13 engine and ECM suite don't come cheap.

can you plz share some link .... thnx in advance
It was an interview with the chief designer for the radar. It's actually posted in this thread in one of the Chinese articles. In general Chinese radars are testing against 3m^2 targets as opposed to 5m^2.

Hi,

IRST is a minimum must----as is aesa---.
Wrong, money is a minimum must. Without money none of this is possible. The biggest challenge PAF is facing isn't lack of available options, but Pakistan's state of economy and government finances.

It certainly could, but that would drive up the cost further. Upgrades such as AESA, WS-13 engine and ECM suite don't come cheap.
It is staged to be part of the JF-17 block3 anyways.. if the price is spread on Block 1, 2 and 3 it isn't that expensive.. and remember these JF-17s are needed against SU-30s, Rafales and other upcomong make in India jets, so the price isn't really expensive for such a role.. viewed within this perspective, when compared to the price of the fighters it will be able to fight against.. maybe 30 million $ max, it is a pretty good deal..

Last edited:
It was an interview with the chief designer for the radar. It's actually posted in this thread in one of the Chinese articles. In general Chinese radars are testing against 3m^2 targets as opposed to 5m^2.

Wrong, money is a minimum must. Without money none of this is possible. The biggest challenge PAF is facing isn't lack of available options, but Pakistan's state of economy and government finances.

AESA,IRST are confirmed by PAF..

Back
Top Bottom