What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Respected brother, I think there are no big surprises about systems but rather about speed of induction and operationalization. A photo will not show an AESA or its quality. What it will show is that PAF has x number of aircraft in operational use. That would allow the Indians to plan accordingly.

This is important as the Block III is the only aircraft that will be able to use the PL-15 to its full advantage. Basically, a PAF vs. IAF clash will turn into a turkey shoot.

In terms of OSINT, I would be able to predict how many the PAF has in service if I see the picture of even a single Block III - As PAC Kamra produces aircraft in batches, a single aircraft would indicate an entire batch being operational. That is 16-25 aircraft.
Hi couple of Q my friend if possible to answer
1 is it possible for block 2 to fire Pl15 even if they are not using AESA
2 can blk3 take on rest of the flight envelope of Pl15 from blk2 after they have emptied their missile slots for further guidance to the target
3 initially 8 to 10 AESA operated fighters will be sufficient to tackle between India & Pakistan
I think we have to consider the space in between these two countries also not enough ground or air space to cover
Your input will be appreciated
Thank you

2 can blk3 take on rest of the flight envelope of Pl15 from blk2 after they have emptied their missile slots for further guidance to the target
3 initially 8 to 10 AESA operated fighters will be sufficient to tackle between India & Pakistan
I think we have to consider the space in between these two countries also not enough ground or air space to cover
Thank you

Yes it is possible, but perhaps within certain range limits (operationally probably around 150 km ball park).
2. Yes in theory. not only block 3 but also AWACS can guide them through. In theory.
3. If you've ever been to Kamra (I had the privilege in the 1990s), production takes place in a batch process. That means, x number of aircraft are being manufactured simultaneously. When I visited, my guess was about 12 or so (the batch size). Not sure what the current batch size is. But when one finishes, all of them are complete. So there is no initial period issue here I think.

Wrong thread ... nit related to Block 3, already discussed so often and IMO a misinterpretation of these pods. See my reply at Twitter.
Dino Dear this time you are wrong .... plz have a look

Now You See Me.jpg
Gentleman sitting in the cockpit is Maj Gen (Pilot) Hamad Eqail Al-Nabet, Commander Qatar Emiri Air Force (QEAF) who was visiting PAC Kamra on 02 September, 2019 getting briefing from PAF JF-17B test pilot.

Plz concentrate the patch PAF pilot is wearing .... below is the clear pic
JF-17 POD[ec].jpg

Yes it is possible, but perhaps within certain range limits (operationally probably around 150 km ball park).
2. Yes in theory. not only block 3 but also AWACS can guide them through. In theory.
3. If you've ever been to Kamra (I had the privilege in the 1990s), production takes place in a batch process. That means, x number of aircraft are being manufactured simultaneously. When I visited, my guess was about 12 or so (the batch size). Not sure what the current batch size is. But when one finishes, all of them are complete. So there is no initial period issue here I think.

JF-17 wasn't being manufactured in the 1990s.

There won't be any production version Block-IIIs any time soon considering the prototype first flew only a few months ago. There still needs to validation and development work done on avionics, EW, weapons , and FCS. At most, we could see a few early small batch airframes produced in Kamra to speed up development, but production airframes won't be manufactured until towards the end of this year or early next year, although that's subject to any potential delays due to COVID-19.

View attachment 631313Gentleman sitting in the cockpit is Maj Gen (Pilot) Hamad Eqail Al-Nabet, Commander Qatar Emiri Air Force (QEAF) who was visiting PAC Kamra on 02 September, 2019 getting briefing from PAF JF-17B test pilot.

View attachment 631316

In fact I would be glad to be wrong and even more to get a clear image of that pod.

Anyway I'm still not convinced and even if I don't deny the existence of such a pod I'm quite sure that those pods in that certain image are the same camera pods as we know on the JF-17 before and other Chinese types.

Best and thanks for your kind reply.

Thank you

Hi,

You mean to say thru data link capability the missile can be triggered at a target from a different aircraft---.

I do not see any reason that it could not be---.

View attachment 631313Gentleman sitting in the cockpit is Maj Gen (Pilot) Hamad Eqail Al-Nabet, Commander Qatar Emiri Air Force (QEAF) who was visiting PAC Kamra on 02 September, 2019 getting briefing from PAF JF-17B test pilot.

View attachment 631316

Hi,

I would say that we leave it at that---. I had heard a similar news.

Hi,

You mean to say thru data link capability the missile can be triggered at a target from a different aircraft---.

I do not see any reason that it could not be---.

Hi,

I would say that we leave it at that---. I had heard a similar news.
Hi Mk thx for replying against my post so what about number of AESA borne fighters can PAF restrained IAF with mix of AESA & non AEsA in the squadron coz I think it’s not possible to change over into a AESA for every jf17
Thank you

Hi Mk thx for replying against my post so what about number of AESA borne fighters can PAF restrained IAF with mix of AESA & non AEsA in the squadron coz I think it’s not possible to change over into a AESA for every jf17
Thank you

Hi,

At the end of the day---all the fighter / strike aircraft would be aesa equipped---. But if the information in the osint is correct than thru data link one aircraft would be able to control the weapons of other aircrafts in the group and launch their weapons thru its primary computer system that has the target in acquisition and locked---.

An example that I listen to stated that an F35 could fly in within 15 miles of its target at night lock the target and launch the stand off weapons of aircrafts carrying those weapons from way behind it---and the enemy would not know from where the weapons came from---.

Thank you

From the outset, the JF-17 was designed so that earlier block aircraft can be relatively easily upgraded to later block specifications. Assuming financing allows for it, all block I and block II aircraft should be upgraded to block III specification, probably at the time of overhaul or an MLU type process.

JF-17 wasn't being manufactured in the 1990s.

There won't be any production version Block-IIIs any time soon considering the prototype first flew only a few months ago. There still needs to validation and development work done on avionics, EW, weapons , and FCS. At most, we could see a few early small batch air frames produced in Kamra to speed up development, but production air frames won't be manufactured until towards the end of this year or early next year, although that's subject to any potential delays due to COVID-19.

Production already reported to start in next year however considering the Chinese support Kamra can produce sufficient numbers in short span of time if needed, one should remember the recent JF17b production and induction.

From the outset, the JF-17 was designed so that earlier block aircraft can be relatively easily upgraded to later block specifications. Assuming financing allows for it, all block I and block II aircraft should be upgraded to block III specification, probably at the time of overhaul or an MLU type process.
I doubt whether block 1 and 2 would be upgradeable to block 3. You may have an upgrade on block 2 but perhaps not upto block 3. There are far too many differences for block 2 to be upgraded to block 3.
A

I doubt whether block 1 and 2 would be upgradeable to block 3. You may have an upgrade on block 2 but perhaps not upto block 3. There are far too many differences for block 2 to be upgraded to block 3.
A
Hi what can be those upgrades which isn’t possible for blk2 up to the standard of blk3
If it’s possible for you to mention those please
Thank you

Hi what can be those upgrades which isn’t possible for blk2 up to the standard of blk3
If it’s possible for you to mention those please
Thank you
A lot of internal plumbing was redone to accomodate the AESA. Additionally the block 3 will have 3 axis FBW and you cannot change that in block 1and 2. Those are a few of the changes which I remember. Even if an AESA is chosen for block 1and2 it will have to be air cooled one due to space limitation.
A

Last edited:
I want to see a formation flying of

JF17 Block III flanked by 2 x JF17B in August flypast and both twin seaters need to have IFR installed

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom