What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Hi,

People who hardly ever post---should have no concern how the place is run---.

Learn to read. Then learn to comprehend what you read. Many forums put restrictions on who can start a thread. It doesn't mean people are not allowed to post in those threads, they can post all they want.

Moderating a forum where scores of comments are posted every hour is a task that borders on the impossible. But I suspect you haven't been around for too long to know that.
I think it is you who failed to comprehend what you read. It was your suggestion about restriction on starting new threads that I replied to. I didn't need to specify that as I was already quoting your post. I honestly don't know which part of my post confused you.

Also I am sure I know a lot more about moderating busy forums than you but that's a different matter.

Pakistan Air Force (PAF)’s JF-17 Block 3’s first flight has been planned for the end of 2019, BulgarianMilitary.com reported from Islamabad.

The PAF expects to fly the fighter operationally in 2020, the report said attributing the information to the PAF Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Chief Marshal (ACM) Mujahid Anwar Khan. He also said that the PAF will also procure 26 twin-seat JF-17Bs alongside the 50 Block 3s.

The report did not say where, when and in what context the Air Chief Marshal made the comment.

However sources in Pakistan Aeronautics Complex (PAC) which assembles the aircraft with Chinese components, said during the recent Paris Airshow that there was no timeframe yet for the Block -3’s first flight.

They said the PAF is still finalizing the radar, electronics, and air-to-air and air-to-surface weapons package of the Block 3. In addition, sources in the Aviation Industries Corporation of China (AVIC) which partners the PAC in the JF-17 project, too were non-committal about the development schedule of the JF-17 Block-3.

The Block-3 will be the most advanced version of the JF-17 with its armaments, radar and communications systems on par or close to the US’s F-16 Block-70.

The PAC has already announced an end to the JF-17 Block-2 aircraft production in 2019 which could mean that the Block-3 is indeed in an advanced stage of development.

In addition to the PAF, the JF-17 Block-3 has elicited interest from potential customers in Asia, the Middle East and Africa.

Pakistan Air Force (PAF)’s JF-17 Block 3’s first flight has been planned for the end of 2019, BulgarianMilitary.com reported from Islamabad.

The PAF expects to fly the fighter operationally in 2020, the report said attributing the information to the PAF Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Chief Marshal (ACM) Mujahid Anwar Khan. He also said that the PAF will also procure 26 twin-seat JF-17Bs alongside the 50 Block 3s.

The report did not say where, when and in what context the Air Chief Marshal made the comment.

However sources in Pakistan Aeronautics Complex (PAC) which assembles the aircraft with Chinese components, said during the recent Paris Airshow that there was no timeframe yet for the Block -3’s first flight.

They said the PAF is still finalizing the radar, electronics, and air-to-air and air-to-surface weapons package of the Block 3. In addition, sources in the Aviation Industries Corporation of China (AVIC) which partners the PAC in the JF-17 project, too were non-committal about the development schedule of the JF-17 Block-3.

The Block-3 will be the most advanced version of the JF-17 with its armaments, radar and communications systems on par or close to the US’s F-16 Block-70.

The PAC has already announced an end to the JF-17 Block-2 aircraft production in 2019 which could mean that the Block-3 is indeed in an advanced stage of development.

In addition to the PAF, the JF-17 Block-3 has elicited interest from potential customers in Asia, the Middle East and Africa.

Thank you for posting this.

I am surprised that for a plane so close to its maiden test flight we havent seen any spy shots of its development to date.

Makes me question the validity of the claim that it is expected to fly some time end of 2019...

i think timely completion of project is what we need and I hope it will have many new capabilities

I think we should keep an eye on Chinese side. We would probably get spy shots from a chinese member.

It will be appreciated to keep information at one place hence, we have a dedicated sticky thread. There is no need to start separate conversation on similar subject under discussion.

Regards,

He also said that the PAF will also procure 26 twin-seat JF-17Bs alongside the 50 Block 3s.

Multiple posters have said that JF-17 Block-3 will be based on JF-17 B air frame. I think the quoted portion above is a very strong indication of that being the most probable case.

The elimination of the second seat would mean additional electronics, fuel, but lower rear visibility. It also suggests a bit more powerful engine.

Multiple posters have said that JF-17 Block-3 will be based on JF-17 B air frame. I think the quoted portion above is a very strong indication of that being the most probable case.

The elimination of the second seat would mean additional electronics, fuel, but lower rear visibility. It also suggests a bit more powerful engine.

Sorry to contradict!
Most reliable sources say this indeed, but they also say it is unlikely to base a Block 3 single seater on the twin-seaters front and tail. From all I know and understand, it will structurally be based on the trainer, but still will look like a regular single seater including the front/cockpit section and tail ... and also there are no indications - at least not to be derived from the trainer - that a more powerful or even completely different engine would be used.

The-Diplomat-Logo.jpg

Pakistan’s JF-17 Block III Fighter Jet to Make Maiden Flight by the End of 2019
11 July, 2019

The Pakistan Air Force plans to operationally deploy the latest variant of the JF-17 fighter jet in 2020.

The Pakistan Aeronautical Complex/Chengdu Aerospace Corporation (PAC/CAC) JF-17 “Thunder” Block III multirole fighter aircraft will have its first flight before the end of 2019, according to local media reports.

The aircraft is set to operationally deploy with the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) in 2020 and induct all 50 planned JF-17 Block IIIs by 2024, according to the PAF Chief of Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Mujahid Anwar Khan.

The JF-17 Block III has already entered production at the Aircraft Manufacturing Factory (AMF) final assembly line at PAC Kamra.

“Production of subassemblies has already started for the first two 50 Block 3 aircraft, to be assembled next year, and will be followed by another 12 in 2021, 2022, 2023, and 2024,” PAC chairman Air Marshall Ahmer Shahzad was quoted as saying by AINonline. We will assemble eight dual-seaters this year, followed by 14 in 2020, and the remaining four in 2021.”

PAC has reportedly been producing 58 percent of the JF-17s airframe and subsystems — the wings, horizontal tail, vertical tail, and forward fuselage — while CAC produces 42 percent of it including the mid- and rear- fuselages. The aircraft parts arrive from China in kit form for local assembly. PAC has an annual production capability of about 25 JF-17 aircraft.

The PAF has currently 85 JF-17 Block I and II operationally deployed, although, according to recent reporting by Flight Global, the PAF has 98 in-service JF-17s. That number that is slated to eventually expand to 112. The first PAF JF-17 squadron, consisting of 14 JF-17 Block I fighter aircraft, was established in 2010. The PAF currently has six operational squadrons.

The JF-17 war principally designed to replace the PAF’s aging fleet of Chengdu F-7 and Dassault Mirage III/5 fighter jets.

JF-17 Block I and II variants are powered by a Chinese license-built Klimov RD-93MA turbogan engine. Block III aircraft are expected to be receive the RD-93MA or Chinese WS-13 engine. As I explained elsewhere:

F-17 Block III fighters will apparently receive a new electronic warfare system, upgraded avionics including a three-axis fly-by-wire digital flight control system, a helmet-mounted display and sight system, and Pakistan’s first Chinese-made active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar system. Two such radar systems are currently under evaluation, according to the PAF Air Chief: the Nanjing Research Institute of Electronics Technology’s KLJ-7A radar and the Leihua Electronic Technology Research Institute’s (LETRI) LKF601E.

According to reporting by Alan Warnes, Leonardo’s Grifo-E AESA radar system is also“still on the table.

The PAF also plans to field a two-seat trainer variant of the JF-17 aircraft, dubbed JF-17B. Next to the 50 JF-17 Block III aircraft, the service is expected to procure up to 26 of the two-seat version of the fighter jet.

The JF-17 also made its second appearance at this year’s Paris Air Show.

-by Franz-Stefan Gady

https://thediplomat.com/2019/07/pak...jet-to-make-maiden-flight-by-the-end-of-2019/

Last edited:
I think it is you who failed to comprehend what you read. It was your suggestion about restriction on starting new threads that I replied to. I didn't need to specify that as I was already quoting your post. I honestly don't know which part of my post confused you.

Also I am sure I know a lot more about moderating busy forums than you but that's a different matter.

Okay let me write in simpler language for you. If other forums that only give mods the permissions to create new threads manage to survive on the internet, what makes you think that this forum will die off with such a setup? Do you think the posters of this forum are a special type like yourself who would get offended and leave if they cant create 4 or 5 threads every day?

Is this clearer now?

And based on your four months of stay in this forum, I wouldn't dare to laugh at your claim that you know 'a lot more about moderating busy forums'.

Hi,

People who hardly ever post---should have no concern how the place is run---.

why? Do you think people who have an opinion on everything actually know better than everybody else? I happen to believe that more people read the forum than post on it. And this issue affects everyone who reads the forum regardless of how often they post.

But i have digressed enough.

If they dont re-design the airframe on the Block 3, as people have hinted at consistently, then it is almost certainly going to be based on the dual seater. Meaning the tail, wing and the internal layout of the dual seater will be carried over.

The engine is a big mystery, and the rumor about the larger intakes makes things very interesting. I can't imagine that, provided it is offered, the PAF would turn down a chinese engine that offers 100-110kN thrust, TVC and can super cruise. But we should bear in mind the WS-19 is still 4-5 years away from induction.

The interesting questions are regarding its sensor and munition:
1. Which HMD will be used?
2. PL-10 is likely, but what about other SRAAMs like the Turkish Gokdogan or the Denel A-Darter or Mechtron MAA-1b?
3. PL-15 and the MAR_1 is likely, but what about other BVRAAM and ARM missiles.
4. Will it integrate a quad-packed Chinese 250lb class SDB type weapon or the Turkish SDB.
5. Will it have an internal IRST? or will it make do with a FLIR pod being used as IRST?
6. What type of internal EW suite will it have?
7. Will it incorporate any towed IR/Radar decoys? Will it have expendable decoys?

Last edited:
Okay let me write in simpler language for you. If other forums that only give mods the permissions to create new threads manage to survive on the internet, what makes you think that this forum will die off with such a setup? Do you think the posters of this forum are a special type like yourself who would get offended and leave if they cant create 4 or 5 threads every day?
That may be your opinion but I think you are wrong. Not every forum is the same and what I said is also from experience. The moderators of this forum are welcome to try what you suggest and see the results.
And based on your four months of stay in this forum, I wouldn't dare to laugh at your claim that you know 'a lot more about moderating busy forums'.

Well, 2 questions friend. 1st, how did you count 4 months? 2nd, is this the only forum in the world? :-)

Sorry to contradict!
Most reliable sources say this indeed, but they also say it is unlikely to base a Block 3 single seater on the twin-seaters front and tail. From all I know and understand, it will structurally be based on the trainer, but still will look like a regular single seater including the front/cockpit section and tail ... and also there are no indications - at least not to be derived from the trainer - that a more powerful or even completely different engine would be used.

I am no expert in aircraft manufacturing, but I think that two different models being manufactured on the same assembly line means that they must share structural commonalities. Now it is anybody's guess what happens to appendages like nose, canopy, etc...

Also, given that JF-17B is slightly bigger, and presumably more draggy, an uprated/different engine is a distinct possibility. We know that WS-13 has been tested on a testbed FC-1 over the last many years. Therefore, if it provides a marginal improvement over RD-93 I would reckon that it might be chosen for JF-17 Block-3.

I purposely stay away from PAC folks so that I may not inadvertently disclose any classified information. These are just my guesses and I may well be wrong.

Sorry to contradict!
I believe the emphasis is that it would use a similar airframe layout and not that it would be a Mig-29K with the rear seat just covered by an extended canopy to make a single seater.

There will be significant but not drastic changes versus the B and the block-III.

Back
Top Bottom