What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

My Random thought is based on that other changes and optional engine change in next 2 years will being next iteration sub block of this block 3 (can be labeled any i e block 3.I or 3.5) for next block 3 thandars

It’s always possible the PAF will see the need to add or modify the Block III once they start using it, but IMHO they have probably figured out what capabilities they need and have worked it into the Block III once it’s inducted. Generally, unless it’s a major upgrade down the line like the potential AESA upgrades to the Block I and II, we don’t really see any changes once inducted. It wouldn’t be cost effective to be constantly upgrading. It indicates possibly poor planning or lack of foresight.

Be that as it may, even if the Block III gets an upgrade in a few years (like a dedicated nose mounted IRST, retractable inflight refueling probe, onboard oxygen generator, EW suite upgrade) I don’t expect it to be called anything other than a “fully realized” Block III

Last edited:
It’s always possible the PAF will see the need to add or modify the Block III once they start using it, but IMHO they have probably figured out what capabilities they need and have worked it into the Block III once it’s inducted. Generally, unless it’s a major upgrade down the line like the potential AESA upgrades to the Block I and II, we don’t really see any changes once indicated. It would be cost effective to be constantly upgrading. It indicates possibly poor planning or lack of foresight.

Be that as it may, even if the Block III gets an upgrade in a few years (like a dedicated nose mounted IRST, retractable inflight refueling probe, onboard oxygen generator, EW suite upgrade) I don’t expect it to be called anything other than a “fully realized” Block III
Agree sir, Sure they can call any thing or even block 3 as well, point is that limitations to 30 order may not depend on financial instead block 3 may be need see orther addition so they limited order for initial batch of block 3, once it is Available followup order will seen

It seems that serial production of JF-17 B-III aircraft will commence from 2022, so meanwhile some more block-IIs or B-versions should be manufactured/produced at PAC in 2021.

It seems that serial production of JF-17 B-III aircraft will commence from 2022, so meanwhile some more block-IIs or B-versions should be manufactured/produced at PAC in 2021.
Production of thanders is slowly started already.
Block 2 production for PAF is over

The questions from this member @Scorpiooo sounds like probing for information on Pakistani defence capabilities. I noticed similar questions from him in Al-Khalid & VT-4 threads.

How does PDF handles such probing members which might be here for Intel gathering purpose? @PDF
Folks on this forum only deal with accessible and/or out-of-date information.

No one here is truly in the know of secrets.

We either speak to what's available from Alan Warnes, PAF statements, etc OR "leaks" by members based on what they say they've heard from someone in the PAF. The "leaks" are either something the PAF is OK with people knowing (e.g., TPS-77 MRR rumours), or are simply false (e.g., J-47 rumours).

Basically, there are no secrets in play, so there's nothing to gain from probing (except for annoying other members by only asking and not contributing).

Production of thanders is slowly started already.
Block 2 production for PAF is over
How many total units of all variant up to the end of Block 2 production currently in service?

Last edited:
Why am I getting the feeling as paf is getting half baked blk3
The PAF was pretty clear in 2018-2019 about where and how the Block-3 would improve over the Block-2, e.g., AESA radar, 3-axis fly-by-wire, and new LRAAMs.

Other stuff, like HMD/S, was unclear (but it's in the pipeline for later).

For everything else, we had overblown expectations.

How many total units of all variant up to the end of Block 2 production currently in service?
JF-17A Block 1 (50)
JF-17A Block 2 (62)
JF-17B Block 2 (26)
Why am I getting the feeling as paf is getting half baked blk3
We should not take block 3 as half baked. Thunder development was in incremental block wise from start of program, why we think current block 3 is end of thanders evolution..

As from start minimum numbers planned were 250 plus were each block to be limited 50 unit each, taking this will give us 5 block of thanders.

After this will our project AZMs 5th gen sealth PF-X fighter

Last edited:
JF-17A Block 1 (50)
JF-17A Block 2 (62)
JF-17B Block 2 (26)

We should not take block 3 as half baked. Thunder development was in incremental block wise from start of program, why we think current block 3 is end of thanders evolution..

As from start minimum numbers planned were 250 plus were each block to be limited 50 unit each, taking this will give us 5 block of thanders.

After this will our project AZMs 5th gen sealth PF-X fighter

Your right, there is room to grow for JF-17 design especially if a higher powered engine is made available. If one day the WS-19 engine is allowed to be exported (max thrust 25,000 lb or approx. 110kn) it would be in the same thrust range as our Block 15 F-16s. It give room for the design to change somewhat similar to the evolution between the Gripen C/D and Gripen E/F. It also expands the capabilities of the JF-17, not just in maneuverability, rate of climb, etc. but also in the weight of the weapons it could carry I presume.

Your right, there is room to grow for JF-17 design especially if a higher powered engine is made available. If one day the WS-19 engine is allowed to be exported (max thrust 25,000 lb or approx. 110kn) it would be in the same thrust range as our Block 15 F-16s. It give room for the design to change somewhat similar to the evolution between the Gripen C/D and Gripen E/F. It also expands the capabilities of the JF-17, not just in maneuverability, rate of climb, etc. but also in the weight of the weapons it could carry I presume.

isnt RD 93MA of 100KN category ?

Because half baked people think half baked
man why reply to others in aggressive manner ....

He raised a question, as it is due, due to the hype created for JF-17 blk-III but now when the real upgrades about blk-III get reported through official or semi official sources then some people[most of the fan boys] feel in the same way this member felt ....

Not everyone is following JF-17 rigorously, so my friend rather to reply them aggressively its better we explain them briefly and at least try to promote comradeship among Pakistani posters.

isnt RD 93MA of 100KN category ?

Almost, I think it’s 98kn max thrust. But we have to consider even more the dry thrust and making the JF-17 have a greater than 1.0 TWR in a combat load out; 4/6 BVR and 2/4 WVR, and redesign that increases internal fuel, so we don’t have the issue of the additional drag caused by the drop tanks, all in max dry thrust.

Last edited:
A higher thrust will open doors to improvements like CFTs
With current engine or even rd93ma that wouldnt be a feasible option
Almost, I think it’s 98kn max thrust. But we have to consider even more the dry thrust and making the JF-17 have a greater than 1.0 TWR in a combat load out; 4 BVR and 2 WVR, and redesign that increases internal fuel, so we don’t have the issue of the additional drag caused by the drop tanks, all in max dry thrust.
Dry thrust is around 57about 15% higher then baseline model
While wet is around 94

More important is increase fuel effiency and life

Back
Top Bottom