What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

However, UEC sources told that the engine upgrade work is under a contract from a Chinese company for which over 100 such engines is to be manufactured and deliver to a Chinese company.

So potential block 3 ??

However, UEC sources told that the engine upgrade work is under a contract from a Chinese company for which over 100 such engines is to be manufactured and deliver to a Chinese company.

So potential block 3 ??
Interesting time lines as well. Is it possible delay is because of engines or is it for the second lot. Will it require changes to the plane or the current models are already flying with SBP 93MAs.
Interesting times indeed.
A

the protypes may have not come to Pakistan yet, so it hard to say anything with certainty. it is all speculations going around.
wait and hope is what we are witnessing.

So you need at least 3
Engines per airframe life ? May be more of its get extension

Something is not right

So this is weak

Specific fuel rate at full afterburning mode

Most Morden western engines are in the ranges of 1.6-1.8 vs this engine 2 plus , 2.05 kg/kg

Let lbs see if MA improves it along with more thrust

Last edited:
Chinese only engineered it. Idea came from PAF, may be i'm mixing up but ACM SL mentioned in one of his interviews, about how he used to demand changes along side it's development.
Best would be someone ask him, if some one have access to him.
I'd say the idea came from Lockheed Martin and it's testing of DSI on the F-16 for the JSF program

the protypes may have not come to Pakistan yet, so it hard to say anything with certainty. it is all speculations going around.
wait and hope is what we are witnessing.
I think your information is not up to date. Kher credible sources say they are here

any expert can share the significance of RD93 MA, and contrast it with other engines or same category ?

I'd say the idea came from Lockheed Martin and it's testing of DSI on the F-16 for the JSF program
Of course.. the DSI came to general notice from JSF but the knowledge about effect of supersonic air in turbine engine was known from earlier days.
I can say in JF17 they had to keep the weight low, while the other solutions for airintake like cone, plate and ramp add weight, which can be avoided with a DSI solution.... so most probably it was this challenges which lead PAF to ponder and eventually adopt DSI.

Last edited:
Tell me who designed, integrated and qualified DSI intakes in thunder?

Dr.Jehanzeb Masud
upload_2020-8-19_15-17-27.png
Education: PhD in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering from Case Western Reserve University, USA
Research: Computational Fluid Dynamics
Important Work: Helped integration of JF-17's DSI intakes, works on weapons integration/certification onto JF-17. Worked on A2A refueling integration among other things.
Trivia: An avid memer and generally funny person
Currently at: Air University
Not trying to discredit anyone, I deal with resume a lot so here is my take: "Helped integration of JF-17's DSI intakes" means he was involved in the integration work, that's all we can get from this piece of info.
We don't know whether he do the integration work alone (highly unlikely given the scale of the work) nor we know whether he leaded this effort.

In the contrast of what you tried to convince us, Dr.Jehanzeb Masud helped integration of JF-17's DSI intakes proves that DSI subsystem's design and actual R&D was done outside of JF-17 project by some other people and team. That's why integration work was needed to bring DSI to JF-17.

If you know something we don't know, please enlighten us, after all we all want to know who exactly designed DSI.

BTW, I don't know how does your arguments above justifies some African's non-stop despise again Chinese tech? If you don't mind, please enlighten me as well.

Last but not least, happy Eid Mubarak for all the friends who celebrate this holiday.

Not trying to discredit anyone, I deal with resume a lot so here is my take: "Helped integration of JF-17's DSI intakes" means he was involved in the integration work, that's all we can get from this piece of info.
We don't know whether he do the integration work alone (highly unlikely given the scale of the work) nor we know whether he leaded this effort.

In the contrast of what you tried to convince us, Dr.Jehanzeb Masud helped integration of JF-17's DSI intakes proves that DSI subsystem's design and actual R&D was done outside of JF-17 project by some other people and team. That's why integration work was needed to bring DSI to JF-17.

If you know something we don't know, please enlighten us, after all we all want to know who exactly designed DSI.

BTW, I don't know how does your arguments above justifies some African's non-stop despise again Chinese tech? If you don't mind, please enlighten me as well.

Last but not least, happy Eid Mubarak for all the friends who celebrate this holiday.
No you don't. You've nitpicked a post to create an argument out of nothing. You guys couldn't write a software for a HUD unit for F7P back in the 80s. PAF engineers wrote it.

Create another thread on things you learned from us. It'll be interesting.

No you don't. You've nitpicked a post to create an argument out of nothing. You guys couldn't write a software for a HUD unit for F7P back in the 80s. PAF engineers wrote it.

Create another thread on things you learned from us. It'll be interesting.
We need to stop living in past and drop the delusion that we will get respect for what we were/ did.

Fact is, in the now, China makes multiple vaccines, we none; China makes multiple FCS for 4th, 5th gen planes, we none; China makes turbines (wind, thermal, engine), we none etc etc etc ^ etc

Back
Top Bottom