What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Stop undermining your abilities. There's much we are doing locally. Just because it doesn't make headlines every other day doesn't mean nothing is happening.
Sure celebrate them, encourage them and promote them, in local newspapers, at schools, exhibitions to encourage our ppl, but no benefit in quoting it to foreigners (esp from 1st world) hoping to get respect in return.

Sure celebrate them, encourage them and promote them, in local newspapers, at schools, exhibitions to encourage our ppl, but no benefit in quoting it to foreigners (esp from 1st world) hoping to get respect in return.

Don't give a damn.

The leading edge slats in earlier blocks and B are not green, is this what you are refering to @khanasifm . If the geen means fuel tanks, thats the first time I am seeing fuel in such places (not to mention the cockpit and LERX which first became green with the B model IIRC).
Why does Green mean fuel. Could be composites

No you don't. You've nitpicked a post to create an argument out of nothing. You guys couldn't write a software for a HUD unit for F7P back in the 80s. PAF engineers wrote it.

Create another thread on things you learned from us. It'll be interesting.
anyway, doesn't matter what was in 1980s, Pakistan per capita was higher then china back then or even korea/vtaiwan/vietnam/bengladesh and had far more exposure of course to western equipment

what matters is today, Chinese R&D is second to probably only USA

Just a Random thought in mind, as PAF given 30 order for block 3 to PAC, is it possible that there some other major change is due, that will take 2 year more like engine change or some other important change so after that enhancement in block 3 we may see incremental block like 3I , 3.5 or even 4 block etc
Follow up order belong to that incremental block

Just a Random thought in mind, as PAF given 30 order for block 3 to PAC, is it possible that there some other major change is due, that will take 2 year more like engine change or some other important change so after that enhancement in block 3 we may see incremental block like 3I , 3.5 or even 4 block etc

Block 3 is nearly a new design. Apart from possible financial constraints (hence 30 instead of 50 on order for this block), comprehensive testing has to be done due to the new engine, FBW, air frame changes, AESA radar, avionics, and new weapons. IMHO, COVID also probably slowed down not only the work but financing was probably moved on an emergency basis to save the economy.

Let’s hope what has been stated as the Block III is at least ready by the end of the year

Block 3 is nearly a new design. Apart from possible financial constraints (hence 30 instead of 50 on order for this block), comprehensive testing has to be done due to the new engine, FBW, air frame changes, AESA radar, avionics, and new weapons. IMHO, COVID also probably slowed down not only the work but financing was probably moved on an emergency basis to save the economy.

Let’s hope what has been stated as the Block III is at least ready by the end of the year
We are not sure about new engine RD93MA integration till date with thander block 3, so cant conclude that it will have new engine or old RD93 engine will continue

If case Old RD93 engine continues means. Either PAF need more time to test it or its not ready yet. even case unlikely case can be that PAF not going for RD93MA and they want to go for Chinese engine in remaining block 3 aircraft and so on

We are not sure about new engine RD93MA integration till date with thander block 3, so cant conclude that it will have new engine or old RD93 engine will continue

If case Old RD93 engine continues means. Either PAF need more time to test it or its not ready yet. even case unlikely case can be that PAF not going for RD93MA and they want to go for Chinese engine in remaining block 3 aircraft and so on

Let’s suppose it’s the same engine. There are still a lot of other upgrades that need to be worked out.

No you don't. You've nitpicked a post to create an argument out of nothing. You guys couldn't write a software for a HUD unit for F7P back in the 80s. PAF engineers wrote it.

Create another thread on things you learned from us. It'll be interesting.
I don't deny China's R&D was weak and has big gaps compared to western world back to 80s/90s.
I don't even deny there are still some gaps in many areas.
I also won't be surprised if PAF helped/taught Chinese team about computer back to 80s.

But that's another story, isn't it? Could you enlighten me that how do you draw the conclusion that Dr.Jehanzeb Masud designed DSI subsystem? While the info you posted suggested something else.

If rest of your narratives about to share are created in the way like this DSI "true story", well sure you'll get a lot of endorsement here, I will spend my time elsewhere.

Last edited:
Stop undermining your abilities. There's much we are doing locally. Just because it doesn't make headlines every other day doesn't mean nothing is happening.
There is a lot more we are not doing locally. Hopefully, we will. In our situation, I suspect it is better to count the glass half-empty, or eight-tenths empty, than half-full.

Dr.Jehanzeb Masud
upload_2020-8-19_15-17-27.png
Education: PhD in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering from Case Western Reserve University, USA
Research: Computational Fluid Dynamics
Important Work: Helped integration of JF-17's DSI intakes, works on weapons integration/certification onto JF-17. Worked on A2A refueling integration among other things.
Trivia: An avid memer and generally funny person
Currently at: Air University
He was HoD of Mechanical Engineering department in IAA some period back. Now it has been rotated to someone else.
He was also associated with NASA previously.

The questions from this member @Scorpiooo sounds like probing for information on Pakistani defence capabilities. I noticed similar questions from him in Al-Khalid & VT-4 threads.

How does PDF handles such probing members which might be here for Intel gathering purpose? @PDF

Why does Green mean fuel. Could be composites
Because it was stated by PAF engineer on camera, but that specific green was the one on wings.

As far as what it shows, I think its some sort of material to help manage fuel dynamics (maybe temperature, or chemical reaction, dont remember for sure).

But as we have been discussing, some of the green is definately not fuel tanks, like on leading edge of wings and horizontal stabilizer in blk 3.

Let’s suppose it’s the same engine. There are still a lot of other upgrades that need to be worked out.
My Random thought is based on that other changes and optional engine change in next 2 years will being next iteration sub block of this block 3 (can be labeled any i e block 3.I or 3.5) for next block 3 thandars

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom