What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Sir, I could give you names and areas being worked on today. There is some crazy advanced research going on in Pakistan with Chinese help. Alhamdulillah.
I’m sure things have changed a lot since 2013 when I was last in sync with Pakistani Defense R&D or R&D in general.
As long as the millennial and gen Z guys can stand up to the meritless idiots that dot this landscape who come up with mediocrity under the excuse of “India hasn’t done it, so we won’t either”.. Pakistan R&D will improve by bounds.

I’m sure things have changed a lot since 2013 when I was last in sync with Pakistani Defense R&D or R&D in general.
As long as the millennial and gen Z guys can stand up to the meritless idiots that dot this landscape who come up with mediocrity under the excuse of “India hasn’t done it, so we won’t either”.. Pakistan R&D will improve by bounds.
I think the news about the PAF getting Pakistani and Chinese companies to work on an HMD/S is interesting, and a potential indication of that shift in thinking.

Check the differences

Blk 2

View attachment 724416

Blk 3
View attachment 724418

Notice cables, a telltale sign of single integrated display.
the differences i noticed

the guy has sullen face in first picture
in second picture the guy is smiling with 2 thumbs up

the colors of 2 planes are different

the picture frame on top of the VCR in first picture is broken

it was Monday in first picture
it was Friday afternoon in second (long weekend ahead).

the sofa in second picture is missing the head cushion.

that pretty much sums up my aviation know how

Last edited:
It will be done by highly fit and trained professionals. There is a reason the Rafale can pull 11 Gs.
Not true.

This is the area of my present thesis research work. The possibilities of retinal damage is very significant. Many pilots start to have retina fovea damage with such manouvers as what is termed as exudates start to occur e.g. the thickness of each vessel can take only so much pressure; after that it can either burst or leak. Many leaks resolve over a period of time up to 3-6 months but a sustained barrage of such manouvers starts to distrupt RPE mechanism. One simple test which we are testing with right now is amsler grid to see the impact on vision. One pilot i know was testing a yak piston plane and went on a high G acrobatic turn, he sustained severe vision loss but it was recovered over the period of 4-5 weeks.

We are trying to identify using fundus photos taken and running thru an engine the extent of damage and build a repository showing the changes over a period of time.

just for interest for those folks wanting to learn about the challenges associated with such manouvers.

This was also one of the reasons back in the 60's in SAAF which prompted the development of HMS on the Mirage 3s.

Not true.

This is the area of my present thesis research work. The possibilities of retinal damage is very significant. Many pilots start to have retina fovea damage with such manouvers as what is termed as exudates start to occur e.g. the thickness of each vessel can take only so much pressure; after that it can either burst or leak. Many leaks resolve over a period of time up to 3-6 months but a sustained barrage of such manouvers starts to distrupt RPE mechanism. One simple test which we are testing with right now is amsler grid to see the impact on vision. One pilot i know was testing a yak piston plane and went on a high G acrobatic turn, he sustained severe vision loss but it was recovered over the period of 4-5 weeks.

We are trying to identify using fundus photos taken and running thru an engine the extent of damage and build a repository showing the changes over a period of time.

just for interest for those folks wanting to learn about the challenges associated with such manouvers.

This was also one of the reasons back in the 60's in SAAF which prompted the development of HMS on the Mirage 3s.

The F-22 oxygen supply system for many years caused life threatening problem, but fighter pilots kept flying. The shock from landing on aircraft carriers due to the arrestor hook can cause spine troubles, but pilots keep flying. The very best professionals don't care about their own self. Flying is a passion that some take to their grave. Not everyone can understand this.

JF17- Block III has slowed down a bit , the momentum we had for Block I is not there yet with Block III
The Long Endurance flight capabilities and Block II B was great however to not get Block III has been puzzling

Block I , Roll Out , initially slow but it was Satisfactory , speed picked up year to year

Block 2 , Roll Out took extra year but it was done with Excellent year to year objectives

Block 2B , was really a Bonus Plane configuration so it was A+ Surprise

Block 1 <MLU> Excellent Turn around

Block 3 , has been a grade C+ in term of Production / Completion lot of delays

I expected us to have 16-24 Block III by 2021

Last edited:
JF17- Block III has slowed down a bit , the momentum we had for Block I is not there yet with Block III
The Long Endurance flight capabilities and Block II B was great however to not get Block III has been puzzling

I think you maybe underestimating the jump here between Block I/II and Block III

From what I gather, in terms of avionics, EW, Radar, Block III is a totally different plane. Block II had only incremental improvements over Block I. Even engine maybe slightly different

This is like going from F-16A to F-16C, so naturally there will be more testing and integration. Like you I am impatient for news, but considering we have the might of the Chinese aviation and defence machinery I am pretty confident we will have good news soon

Block I , Roll Out , initially slow but it was Satisfactory , speed picked up year to year

Block 2 , Roll Out took extra year but it was done with Excellent year to year objectives

Block 2B , was really a Bonus Plane configuration so it was A+ Surprise

Block 1 <MLU> Excellent Turn around

Block 3 , has been a grade C+ in term of Production / Completion lot of delays

I expected us to have 16-24 Block III by 2021
1. Going by this rate we will field firat squadron in mid or late 2022. So going by your timeline we'll just be an year late.
2. Then there's difference in technology, radars, equipment HMD still not finalised etc etc.
3. Also there was in the beginning no program to make a dual seater so adding development of a dual seater pushed block 3 further away.

Back
Top Bottom