What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Again ... IMO there is TOO much noise and hype around. Images of J-10C at CAC are immediately rated as proof for "they are for Pakistan"

Those J-10Cs are (with the research I have done) most likely meant for something else, not Pakistan.

Given the history between the two countries, any platform procured, is almost always customized to Pakistan Military's requirements. So the J-10Cs will most certainly be in line with that, and this means that it would take time.

I know I'm rated the typical ugly, arrogant German, the one who ruins every party, who must always know the source and cannot simply hope and have faith in such reports. But hey, YES I cannot, I admit this ... and so far it was not the worst way to go to be cautious and sceptical in regard to any such bombastic claims.

Healthy scepticism is always welcome, otherwise ignorance would run rampant.

As for the J-10Cs and Block-3 Thunders, as is always my policy ... wait and observe!!

Program rate has been slow should have completed in 2015

• 2009-2015 , 250 planes , Block 1 50 Units , Block 2 100 Units , Block 3 100 Units
  • 2015-2020 , should have been Modifications and enhancements

5 year Too Slow

• Enemy is already loading up with Next Generation Crafts

Who was going to pay $6.2 billion for 250 aircraft costing $25 million each?

If you used a little of bit common sense, do you think Pakistan/China could produce 250 modern fighter aircraft in just 6 years and have at least 250 pilots trained to fly them?

How much do you think the infrastructure, production lines and wages for all the engineers would come to? What about the cost of the maintenance and the armament?

Don't you think if Pakistan had $6.2 billion as spare change in 2009 (one after the world-wide financial crises), PAF would've bought additional F-16s?

IAF's moral and image in the world would have been tarnished.
But would have been followed by missle strikes on pakistan bases ...pretty sure on that..
What we had done next..either jump in war or escalate down either way not feasible

Had u had strong economy decent reserves of oil and dollars then ofcourse yeah..but u r in IMF program and people cant do without imported cheese (see govt employees these days) and you think war would have worked

This over confidence led to 1971 debacle

You need to calculate every move
Who was going to pay $6.2 billion for 250 aircraft costing $25 million each?

If you used a little of bit common sense, do you think Pakistan/China could produce 250 modern fighter aircraft in just 6 years and have at least 250 pilots trained to fly them?

How much do you think the infrastructure, production lines and wages for all the engineers would come to? What about the cost of the maintenance and the armament?

Don't you think if Pakistan had $6.2 billion as spare change in 2009 (one after the world-wide financial crises), PAF would've bought additional F-16s?
Goal should be decrease the military land size, decrease paramilitary and improve police(especially SINDH).
thus diverting man power to airforce

Also the cost would be much lower with greater numbers and local production

We probably should go for 250-300 thunders rather then procuring something else

We should at least try to integrate the Turkish BVR and High off bore sight WVR missiles onto our F-16s. If it can exceed the capabilities of the Aim-120C5 and Aim-9 we operate, we should starting buying a few hundred and create an option that allows us to purchase hundreds more from Turkish stocks in the event of heighten tensions or war.

Integration of Turkish weapons into our F-16s needs to be a sticking point when military to military discussions happen between Pakistan and the US. If not we should find a way to put a datalink pod on our F-16s and fly them alongside AESA equipped fighters, so they can carry the Turkish Missiles. It’s not a substitute, but it still allows the F-16s some growth potential if they can’t be upgraded the standard way.
Forget F-16; you cannot do anything on those; you need to focus in blk3's/ b.

I expect PAF to purchase a minimum of 120 B3s. We will also have to upgrade the current 120 Thunders to B3 standards. I more than likely also expect a B3+ variant of the thunder, to include 3D thrust vectoring engine, CFT tanks, HMD within the next few years.

PAF full focus will be on the JF-17 followed by Project AZM (J31/J22?). A few squadrons of J10C will be acquired until Project AZM matures. This is the PAFs policy for the next decade.

Shahid Lateef has-already tweeted about JFT launching-Raad.
A

Yes it was bound to happen. The Raad has been refined and made more compact/stealthy in order to fit on the THunder. Apparently 1 can be fitted under each wing for a total of 2. Max range is still 350km.

This is great new and an immense force multiplier for the PAF in itself.

I expect PAF to purchase a minimum of 120 B3s. We will also have to upgrade the current 120 Thunders to B3 standards. I more than likely also expect a B3+ variant of the thunder, to include 3D thrust vectoring engine, CFT tanks, HMD within the next few years.

PAF full focus will be on the JF-17 followed by Project AZM (J31/J22?). A few squadrons of J10C will be acquired until Project AZM matures. This is the PAFs policy for the next decade.
Blocks 2s can not be upgraded to block 3 standard due to structural changes. IMO Better option would be to sell the block 1s and 2s to countries like myanmar, srilanka, Nigeria etc and replace them with block 3s.

Blocks 2s can not be upgraded to block 3 standard due to structural changes. IMO Better option would be to sell the block 1s and 2s to countries like myanmar, srilanka, Nigeria etc and replace them with block 3s.
Agreed. they are only "slightly used". We can stager the sale with take in blk 3s as we give the blk1s and blk2s.

Nigeria has a better economy than Pakistan by a healthy margin. Just because it doesn’t prioritize defense spending, doesn’t mean it’s waiting in line to buy out of date and used equipment.

You need to humble yourself before suggesting that your leftovers be sold to others, presumably because you imagine they can’t afford better.

Nigeria has a better economy than Pakistan by a healthy margin. Just because it doesn’t prioritize defense spending, doesn’t mean it’s waiting in line to buy out of date and used equipment.

You need to humble yourself before suggesting that your leftovers be sold to others, presumably because you imagine they can’t afford better.
blk 1s and blk 2s are not out dated fighters, they are true 4th generation fighters, blk 3 being 4.5 generation.

Pardon me if i sounded arrogant but that was not what i meant. Nigeria will receive the jets in sometime and myanmar is using so the might be interested in buying more and they'll be alot cheaper to buy and maintain. If the PAF thinks block2s will server them well so they should keep it who am i to aruge but if block 3 is really the machine which PAF wanted in the first place so why not sell the older jets and build new? Those jets aren't leftovers, they can buy the jets if they want or decline. We wont be providing them for free. We will charge our share. Nobody is doing a favor.
Edit: The conclusion i want to add is every country looks only for her self interest, and if selling block 2s is in our interest than we should do it. If we can get more capable jets than it'll be better for us and not for any other. They enemy have better jets so we should too.

Block I/II can be upgraded to Block III standard, this has always been PAF's plan.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom