What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

I don't think block 1 or 2 can be upgradeable to BLK3 standard, because it has complete different body structure
@araz @HRK
I think blk 1 and 2 will make use of Blk 3 radars via data link. They'll be flown in conjunction with older blocks.

I think 1&2 will upgrade to 3 with AESA and PL15
I doubt it

I think PAF will not update them atleast till they are 20 years old and require a full remanfacturing/overhaul. Then they might decide to either rebuild with block3 specs or simply retire them and add more block3

Reason
Paf needs numbers, net centric war fare and cost

Its confirmed that PAF started BLK3 production today.... Secondly those sources
also confirmed that PAF might induct J-10C near future...
Thank you. The credit for breaking this news with immaculate timing goes to you. Please keep up the good-work maintaining credibility and respect for secrecy re armed forces acquisitions.
Kind regards
A

this is nothing short of a mircale for a country like ours!

thanka to Allah our engineers China for all the support! may we rip fear into hearts of pegan yindoos and destroy their arrogance!

Ameen! good luck to the brave pilots happy hunting may Allah be with you!;

I don't think block 1 or 2 can be upgradeable to BLK3 standard, because it has complete different body structure
@araz @HRK
to keep blk-i and blk-ii relevant in future air warfare they would certainly get upgrades in future but expecting blk-i and blk-ii to be upgraded at par with blk-iii seems a litle bit far fetched idea.

The most we should expect is the integration of air cool AESA radar with blk-i & ii either LKF-601 or some other AESA radar
LKF601E(ec).jpg

Last edited:
@Riz @The Eagle

If the production of previous blocks including B is complete, does that mean Block-I stays Block-I and they are not upgraded to Block-II as it was previously thought?

We had learned that Block-II will be the baseline fighters for JF-17A and JF-17B models. What's your understanding?

As far as I understand, Block-I is already at par with Block-II standards now (upgraded) so technologically, there's no Block-I. Eventually, there is a side plan to upgrade Block-II airframe to the Block-III standards in future which will make a majority Block-III flying fleet. I am not claiming but would suggest to keep an eye in this area. Most of the flying Thunder will be In'Sha'ALLAH in Block-III Mod. These are plans that I assume by looking at several developments.

to keep blk-i and blk-ii relevant in future air warfare they would certainly get upgrades in future but expecting blk-i and blk-ii to be upgraded at par with blk-iii seems a litle bit far fetched idea.

The most we should expect is the integration of air cool AESA radar with blk-i & ii either LKF-601 or some other AESA radarView attachment 701809
LKF-601 will be best under transfer of technology.

As far as I understand, Block-I is already at par with Block-II standards now (upgraded) so technologically, there's no Block-I. Eventually, there is a side plan to upgrade Block-II airframe to the Block-III standards in future which will make a majority Block-III flying fleet. I am not claiming but would suggest to keep an eye in this area. Most of the flying Thunder will be In'Sha'ALLAH in Block-III Mod. These are plans that I assume by looking at several developments.

Thanks for sharing.

Since block-3 is a structural evolution and has additional fuel and avionics space, everything which block-3 can house in its new airframe may not be retrospectively fit-able in earlier blocks. The physical airframe of block-I and block-IIs is exactly the same, thus all block-Is can be upgraded to block-IIs, but when it comes to upgrading block-II to block-III, they may only be able to upgrade on some aspects and end up becoming block-2.5

The term block-2.5 doesn't exist. I've just coined it to mean a "partial upgrade" of block-IIs to block-IIIs.
I think 1&2 will upgrade to 3 with AESA and PL15

That may be a partial upgrade, so Block-II may end up becoming block-2.5.

Last edited:
Since block-3 is a structural evolution and has additional fuel and avionics space, everything which block-3 can house in its new airframe may not be retrospectively fit-able in earlier blocks. The physical airframe of block-I and block-IIs is exactly the same, thus all block-Is can be upgraded to block-IIs, but when it comes to upgrading block-II to block-III, they may only be able to upgrade on some aspects and end up becoming block-2.5

The term block-2.5 doesn't exist. I've just coined it to mean a "partial upgrade" of block-IIs to block-IIIs.

[/QUOTE]
Is it possible to rebuild block 2 aircraft to block 3 standard during overhaul? Since the main structure is same, internal structure can be strengthened during overhaul and avionics added?

Thanks for sharing.

We will have to treat such an upgrade in different manners. One cannot call it an upgrade for everything that Block-III. Indeed, we will be looking at upgraded Block-III from Block-II in quality area and especially in the areas of Radar & weapons to the most of extent. Since, airframes are different, therefore, the then older Block-II will not be a 100% Block-III but one can count on the same level in the ring once all hell broke lose. Remember, Thunder design was frozen year(s) ago but it had the quality of adaptation from day one hence, we saw an upgrade of Block-I to Block-II. I hope you got my point that I wish I could express more openly but not at the moment.

The Airframe has the flexibility, therefore, you may have noticed that how Thunder's development & evolution has been coined in the same terms of F-16 fighting falcon baseline & then even we expect a viper upgrade despite the airframe being the older one. Conclusively & for a layman like me, as I am still learning certain things, most of aspects & criteria are never told nor shared to the world at all.

Similarly, we can expect an air-cooled LKF-601E (AESA) for older blocks given the limitation due to size of nosecone but on the same time it doesn't limits the aircraft to perform lesser than the newly built Block-III with KLJ7A AESA Radar. On one point you have a shortcoming in specific bird but on other hand, you have an alternate solution to compensate the shortcoming and in this scenario, putting it simply, remember the netcentric capability. For this point alone, at-least I am very sure that Pakistan is far ahead than the adversary and despite being a rich spending, IAF needs years to catch-up with PAF that already excelling more.

In couple of years or plus 1/2, we will see a totally different structure of Pakistan Armed Forces and especially in Electronics related area. I can imagine a flying castle. In'Sha'ALLAH.

IF AN UPGRADE IS DONE, I don't see it ending up in short like that. Though, it may have a different gadget beneath the skin with differently told specs etc but still, in the end with a different game plan, tactics & deployment; the end result will be a totally upgraded Block-III fleet. That mark will always remain there as the airframe will be quoted as an older block but capability wise, nothing different or short of punch.

any timeline when we can see first JF-17 BLK3 handed over to PAF...
pakistani posters have created too much hype ... so very curious..

any timeline when we can see first JF-17 BLK3 handed over to PAF...
pakistani posters have created too much hype ... so very curious..

I don't see any hype except that everyone is calculating the best possible timeframe which can be based upon the production strength. Since you are asking for a timeline, I had to reply which may not sound very clear.

It depends how PAF planned to induct Block-III. Like, PAC may produce couple of birds and hand them over to PAF ASAP for all the validation....or.... if PAF has already done the homework given the reason as we don't have any news in public domain; we might see a total time frame of 2 years starting from now for almost an active squadron. You can make a best guess by looking at induction of Block-B as well as when the First B variant was handed over. It all depends now how PAC & PAF has planned to strengthen the fleet and raise new SQN. For me, we have two years time frame set to see operational Block-III.

Back
Top Bottom