What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Is it equivalent to or better than MICA IR?

Hey Deino, i @'ed you on twitter regarding the block-3s rwr, did you manage to figure anything out? I spoke to some others and they could not.

Thanks,

for reference

If you're referring to the new fairings on the side of the ECM housing at the top of the fin, those are the new IR-based MAWS units. The previous UV-based MAWS units were housed at the base of the fin, near the drag chute housing. I can only presume that the new IR-based MAWS were relocated to the top of the fin to reduce IR interference from the engine exhaust and provide a cleaner sensor image.

If you're referring to the new fairings on the side of the ECM housing at the top of the fin, those are the new IR-based MAWS units. The previous UV-based MAWS units were housed at the base of the fin, near the drag chute housing. I can only presume that the new IR-based MAWS were relocated to the top of the fin to reduce IR interference from the engine exhaust and provide a cleaner sensor image.

Thanks, i am wondering about the actual antennae on the end of the tip of the tail. The earlier block use dual antenna ALR-400 but that one looks different.

would you know advantage and disadvantage of IR vs UV based? The J-10Cs seem to have completely gotten ridden of MAWS altogether.

@Deino

would you know advantage and disadvantage of IR vs UV based? The J-10Cs seem to have completely gotten ridden of MAWS altogether.

@Deino

The main advantage of IR based MAW sensors is greater range, however, identification of missile exhaust plumes against background IR clutter has been a problem with developing IR based MAWS. UV based MAWS don't have that problem, but they suffer from very short range (a few km) and interference from solar derived UV radiation, depending on the aspect angle of the missile engagement. Recent advances in software and IR sensors has allowed the development of IR based MAWS. Early production versions of the J-10C did not have the IR based MAW system, presumably because it was still under development, but later production models include both forward and rear aspect IR MAWS. The same system has been integrated on the JF-17 Block III.

The IR MAWS are seen in this later production J-10C, located at the top of the fin ECM fairing and air intake, in a similar manner as those on the Block-III

1599560636174.png

The research paper in the link below describes some background on IR vs UV based MAWS.

https://publications.tno.nl/publication/34618678/TP7xRE/neele-2005-two.pdf

The main advantage of IR based MAW sensors is greater range, however, identification of missile exhaust plumes against background IR clutter has been a problem with developing IR based MAWS. UV based MAWS don't have that problem, but they suffer from very short range (a few km) and interference from solar derived UV radiation, depending on the aspect angle of the missile engagement. Recent advances in software and IR sensors has allowed the development of IR based MAWS. Early production versions of the J-10C did not have the IR based MAW system, presumably because it was still under development, but later production models include both forward and rear aspect IR MAWS. The same system has been integrated on the JF-17 Block III.

The IR MAWS are seen in this later production J-10C, located at the top of the fin ECM fairing and air intake, in a similar manner as those on the Block-III

View attachment 667991

The research paper in the link below describes some background on IR vs UV based MAWS.

https://publications.tno.nl/publication/34618678/TP7xRE/neele-2005-two.pdf
Thank you very much for your answer. A good summary plus a citation for more details. I hope more interactions on pdf are of this type.

Back
Top Bottom