What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

So there's an order of 400 new and improved engines for JF-17?
That's interesting.
If you look at it this way,
Many prospect customers wouldn’t prefer Chinese powerplant and current RD-93 isn’t attractive to them.

MA could really boost up orders if happens

So probably Pakistan will be replacig the old RD93 in block 1 and 2 and replacing them with MA. Which would give the required power to equip them with aesa radar and otger goodies?
Replacing would be a waste of Investment on current engines.

RD-93MA is not only about engine. Pakistan will get their hands on RD-93MA directly from Russia. RD-93MA is designed and built with a view of single engine powered aircraft. Russia doesn't operate single engine aircraft. Pakistan operates single engine powered aircraft. RD-93MA is for PAF JF-17.
RD-93MA will outperform MiG-29UPG engines in terms of high altitude flights.

I see this is a diplomatic victory by Pakistan knowing that India is the biggest buyer of Russian arms. Indian Prime Minister and Defense Minister urged Russia million times to stop supplying engine to Pakistan, but Russia desperately needs cash.

Well done!

Russia could directly supply RD-93MA engine to Pakistan for JF-17 Block III: https://www.globaldefensecorp.com/2...-93ma-engine-to-pakistan-for-jf-17-block-iii/

➲ New engine .....; The Russian RD-93 engine used in the previous version will be replaced with more thrust capable engine. Chinese and Italian engines have been verified for this. However, it was not known which one was selected.
Credit.
W. Tafhim Tahsin

So, The Time proves above claim as False.
@Deino & @airomerix Vindicated.
@MastanKhan What would you say.

RD-93MA is not only about engine. Pakistan will get their hands on RD-93MA directly from Russia. RD-93MA is designed and built with a view of single engine powered aircraft. Russia doesn't operate single engine aircraft. Pakistan operates single engine powered aircraft. RD-93MA is for PAF JF-17.
RD-93MA will outperform MiG-29UPG engines in terms of high altitude flights.

I see this is a diplomatic victory by Pakistan knowing that India is the biggest buyer of Russian arms. Indian Prime Minister and Defense Minister urged Russia million times to stop supplying engine to Pakistan, but Russia desperately needs cash.

Well done!

Russia could directly supply RD-93MA engine to Pakistan for JF-17 Block III: https://www.globaldefensecorp.com/2...-93ma-engine-to-pakistan-for-jf-17-block-iii/
While it is good, I think PAC must start putting gentle pressure for local assembly and repair with some offsets. This would give us the satart of industry for =engines in pakistan and we can then look at how to improve things further.
A

While it is good, I think PAC must start putting gentle pressure for local assembly and repair with some offsets. This would give us the satart of industry for =engines in pakistan and we can then look at how to improve things further.
A

Sir, I'm afraid its not Correct. Its just a typical news "heading"..... to lure Viewership...
The same article in the end states otherwise.
"Engine upgrade work is under contract from a Chinese Company..."

Sir, I'm afraid its not Correct. Its just a typical news "heading"..... to lure Viewership...
The same article in the end states otherwise.
"Engine upgrade work is under contract from a Chinese Company..."
So you think the news is not correct? The MA version was due to come out in 2018. It got delayed. @messiach pointed out that the developemtns in the RD93 have reached the level of the MA version.
I am unclear what you are trying to say . Are you saying that the news is not correct or the development is for a Chinese company who will then sell these on? Please advise.
A

So you think the news is not correct? The MA version was due to come out in 2018. It got delayed. @messiach pointed out that the developemtns in the RD93 have reached the level of the MA version.
I am unclear what you are trying to say . Are you saying that the news is not correct or the development is for a Chinese company who will then sell these on? Please advise.
A

My Objection on these Claims made in @polanski post...

Pakistan will get their hands on RD-93MA directly from Russia. I see this is a diplomatic victory by Pakistan.
Well done!

My Objection on these Claims made in @polanski post...
The original article made that claim. Whether this is borne out or not remains to be seen. Currently I had read PAC is procuring RD93s directly from Russia.Either case PAFwill not be too bothered barring a small overcharge for the Chinese company in exchange for security of continued provision and spares.
A

If Pakistan "paid" Russia to develop this variant, then I hope the contract has a clause that this engine and its derivatives cannot be sold to India.. I would hate Pakistani money to be invested in increasing Indian Mig29 performance ( i suspect that PAF did not have the common sense to ask for this ... ).

It would be interesting to see how much 'tax' China adds on top from engines sourced from Russia and then sold to Pakistan for the JF17..

If Russia did this out of its own pocket then Pakistan has no say over the matter.

If Pakistan "paid" Russia to develop this variant, then I hope the contract has a clause that this engine and its derivatives cannot be sold to India.. I would hate Pakistani money to be invested in increasing Indian Mig29 performance ( i suspect that PAF did not have the common sense to ask for this ... ).

It would be interesting to see how much 'tax' China adds on top from engines sourced from Russia and then sold to Pakistan for the JF17..

If Russia did this out of its own pocket then Pakistan has no say over the matter.
I think most of the RD-93's improvements are already in the RD-33MK, which powers the IN's MiG-29s.

I think most of the RD-93's improvements are already in the RD-33MK, which powers the IN's MiG-29s.

As stated two engines having relatively similar capabilities i.e WS-10 from China and Russian RD-93 MA are in competition however in future we may see block 3 being equipped with two different engines one for export and one for domestic use.

Further one should hope that Block-3 may have enough capabilities to challenge Rafael.

As stated two engines having relatively similar capabilities i.e WS-10 from China and Russian RD-93 MA are in competition however in future we may see block 3 being equipped with two different engines one for export and one for domestic use.

Further one should hope that Block-3 may have enough capabilities to challenge Rafael.
IMO ... the Block-III isn't getting an engine change. But I do think it's possible if there is a Block-IV, Block-V, etc. Be it FC-31 or otherwise, the FGFA is still some ways away, and there'll be snags and delays (even if China does all of the work).

However, the JF-17 already has a lot of key weapons integrated to it (with Ra'ad now likely) and the PAF is familiar with how to operate and deploy it.

There's no harm in building more of those. The Block-Is will reach 20 years of age in the 2030s; one option is replacing them with a Block-IV with RD-93MA.

I agree . We are following the developemtn cycle of the RD33 rahter than the other way around.
A

Bhai. The sizes are different. It is like putting a Corona engine into a Yaris.Unless you meant WS13 which is the right size
A

IMO ... the Block-III isn't getting an engine change. But I do think it's possible if there is a Block-IV, Block-V, etc. Be it FC-31 or otherwise, the FGFA is still some ways away, and there'll be snags and delays (even if China does all of the work).

However, the JF-17 already has a lot of key weapons integrated to it (with Ra'ad now likely) and the PAF is familiar with how to operate and deploy it.

There's no harm in building more of those. The Block-Is will reach 20 years of age in the 2030s; one option is replacing them with a Block-IV with RD-93MA.

by looking at the bright side..yes Block 3 induction is delayed to 2021-22 but it will resolve engine power issue and a working air cooled AESA Radar which we will be able to produce..since we have funded it..

one thing that lots of posters are puttin spin on it was "how many engines?" PAF originaly ordered via PRC 500 RD93 units since we have 130 Thunders powered by RD93 operational plus replacement RD93 engines in inventory PAF has taken delivery of 250 RD93 Engines including for exports. so RD93MA are 200 that are remaining to be delivered.

So..what Now...PAF for next three years will operate what we have or will induct a stop gap?

One more thing i see as posters are giving impression that these engines (RD93MA) are for New Version or new aircraft per say...which is just not possible...

New aircraft will have in 2021-22 WS-19

The RD-93MA engine will be sold directly to Pakistan. However, according to sources, the upgrade of the engine was carried out in accordance with a contract of a Chinese company. According to the contract, the Russian side will manufacture more than 100 RD-93MA engines.

The engine is expected to enter combat test mode at the end of the year, which means that the JF-17 "Fierce Dragon" Block III will enter the flight test of the RD-93MA engine as early as 2021-2022.

CHINESE NEWS
https://mil.news.sina.com.cn/zhengming/2020-07-10/doc-iirczymm1627992.shtml

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom