What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

@ziaulislam @araz (you shut me down last time) @Trailer23 @Quwa

We know that JF-17 with RD-93 is under powered and this effect will be more high lighted if as per reports the both payload and fuel storage is increased in BLK-3. Weight of additional equipments can be countered with use of composites. So one can say that there is need of another engine with more thrust.

1. As per info available we bought 150. We have produced 50 BLK-1s, 59 BLK-2s, 12(afaik) for Mayanmar, 3 for Nigeria, 8 Bs, 6 prototypes, 1(confirmed)+1(alleged) BLK-3 prototypes. This equals to 140 aircrafts meaning we have only 10 RD-93s left.
2. As per reports we will be having 4 Bs and 2 BLK-3s in 2020.
3. As per reports WS-10 is now in serial production and is being installed on J-10s. Also Chinese reports say that WS-13 is ready to be mass produced.
4. WS-13 is almost same in size with RD-93. It is enhanced RE version of RD-93.
5. There is no info available in public whether Pakistan has placed order for more RD-93s or not.

Your comments.

We know that JF-17 with RD-93 is under powered and this effect will be more high lighted if as per reports the both payload and fuel storage is increased in BLK-3. Weight of additional equipments can be countered with use of composites. So one can say that there is need of another engine with more thrust.

1. As per info available we bought 150. We have produced 50 BLK-1s, 59 BLK-2s, 12(afaik) for Mayanmar, 3 for Nigeria, 8 Bs, 6 prototypes, 1(confirmed)+1(alleged) BLK-3 prototypes. This equals to 140 aircrafts meaning we have only 10 RD-93s left.
3. As per reports WS-10 is now in serial production and is being installed on J-10s. Also Chinese reports say that WS-13 is ready to be mass produced.
5. There is no info available in public whether Pakistan has placed order for more RD-93s or not.

Your comments.
O bhai, mujhay kyu beech may lay kar arahay ho?

I'm the non-Technical guy here. You should've tagged @Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Your comments.
Mairay Chotay bhai.
No one should be made to shut up. If you found my post annoying I apologize. People are constantly saying that JFT is underpowered. However PAF keeps saying it remains satisfied with the RD93. @messiach is the most knowledgeable member here on engine issues. She is also on record saying that PAF will continue to work with RD93 series and making it better. Where that help is coming from was not indicated but it seems either we have ancinside line with the Russians or some other entity is busy providing improvements. PAF has set up overhaul facilities for RD93 so it has shown to all the world it is committed in the long term with the RD series. So why are all the armvhair Generals hell bent on changing engines?
The Chinese havecan angle in that they want return on their investment in the WS13. Therefore they have an interest in furthering the cause of the WS13 series. I have no inside source, but I will go out on a limb and say PAF will stick with the RD series till................. ( I have a hunch what we are waiting for but too early to say with any assurance).
The Chinese engines are too risky a proposition at the moment and they would have to have a 10 year run with these engines before anyone will consider them. Obviously I express an opinion which is mine and not meant to hurt anyone's national pride.
This is my take on the matter based on what I understand of aviation which is very little.PAF has never changed ships mid sea and is not about to do so now. We simply do not have any reason. The whole business of "RD is underpowered " is unsubstantiated and needs to be proven. You cant just throw an engine which has given you 15-18 years of service without any accident attributable to it( onecase of wing shear off and one CFIT) Stick with what works and do not try to reinvent the wheel.
A

Last edited:

Your comments.
It's certainly a possibility, but the PAF was on the record saying it's satisfied with the RD-93 and that it's investing (in MRO etc) to keep it. Moreover, we probably wouldn't hear about RD-93 purchases from Russia, even if they were happening, because of the risk of CAATSA sanctions from the US.

It's certainly a possibility, but the PAF was on the record saying it's satisfied with the RD-93 and that it's investing (in MRO etc) to keep it. Moreover, we probably wouldn't hear about RD-93 purchases from Russia, even if they were happening, because of the risk of CAATSA sanctions from the US.
Werent the Chinese responsible for engine supplies and it maybe that they will continue to do so. There was talk of PAF doing business directly with Rosoboron Export but have not heard too much about it. One thing that did come out in the press and then disappeared was that PAF had acquired some RD33MK from Ukraine. The excuse given at the time was that we needed them for spares. But not much has been heard about it since.
A

We know that JF-17 with RD-93 is under powered
dear Haris how could we term RD-93 an underpowered engine when it gives thrust to weight ratio of 1:09, plz don't believe every other argument by every other person online
jf-17-specifications-jpg.624496

https://www.pac.org.pk/jf-17

This is fucked up. They have written that payload is 3400 lbs!!!
Exactly its marketing Fuckup .....

If interested try to find that when was the last time PAC website updated specially the specifications of JF-17 in its section .... we can not quote PAC website further you can check the archive version of PAC website and you will find exact same specifications for blk-I as well

the display banner which I attached in my post is from last year If I am not wrong ....

Exactly its marketing Fuckup .....

If interested try to find that when was the last time PAC website updated specially the specifications of JF-17 in its section .... so we can not quote PAC further you can check the archive version of PAF and you will exact same specifications for blk-I as well

the display banner which I attached in my post is from last year If I am not wrong ....
On wiki TWR is 0.95 but 1.10 with WS-13.
Screenshot_20200423-003349.png

Well, that (highlighted in red) is a bold statement and stated as an established fact. Are you a recognized authority to state that as a fact, or is that a common theme among the fanboys who just dream of seeing something change every other day?

Your comments.

Back
Top Bottom