What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Since you are opting C series out, i don’t think we have much else to offer except as CM RAAD.
Are there any long range ARMs in the world?
AGM-88, KH-58

By navy, the recent videos
Which Naval air asset ?

I have been asking for A2G missile for JFT. If you are telling me that this pic was about C-802 fired from ship, then thats not the info i am after.

Air to ground Missile, not Surface to Surface.

JF-17 carries the A to Sea version of the same missile hence it can be used for ground attacks
AGM-88, KH-58

Which Naval air asset ?

I have been asking for A2G missile for JFT. If you are telling me that this pic was about C-802 fired from ship, then thats not the info i am after.

JF-17 carries the A to Sea version of the same missile hence it can be used for ground attacks
So C-802 has the guidance system which can differ ground clutter from the sea clutter. Land attack is usually guided by GPS/TERCOM. C-802 is basically Radar guided which can be interchanged with IR guidance or TV Guidance. Multiple types of guidance available for a missile.

AGM-88, KH-58

Which Naval air asset ?

Ohh, I wasn’t specific then,
C-802A (Air launched), I don’t remember watching any video of C-802A against land target but this video of Mar 2018, PAF test fired it against a ship, but C-802A is claimed to hit land targets as well.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/official-video-of-c-802-missile-test-by-pn-paf.547779/

But your concern is genuine, what options do we have ?

However, i do know that you know all this more than us, don’t understand the context yet.

So C-802 has the guidance system which can differ ground clutter from the sea clutter. Land attack is usually guided by GPS/TERCOM. C-802 is basically Radar guided which can be interchanged with IR guidance or TV Guidance. Multiple types of guidance available for a missile.
Iran has modified it’s Noor (C-802) to a LACM version but that is quite long and I don’t think Thunders can launch it or carry it.

Ohh, I wasn’t specific then,
C-802A (Air launched), I don’t remember watching any video of C-802A against land target but this video of Mar 2018, PAF test fired it against a ship, but C-802A is claimed to hit land targets as well.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/official-video-of-c-802-missile-test-by-pn-paf.547779/

But your concern is genuine, what options do we have ?

However, i do know that you know all this more than us, don’t understand the context yet.

Iran has modified it’s Noor (C-802) to a LACM version but that is quite long and I don’t think Thunders can launch it or carry it.
Sometimes its necessary to see a real life example, many things can be explained in theory through logic and understanding the systems. Making up scenarios, inputting deployment of weapons etc is different. If an air launched weapon is fired on a ground target, the first question is if the target is stationary or moving. This is important as guidance system may vary. E.g. a GPS guided weapon is effective and cheap for a stationary target, where as TV guided weapon could be suitable for a moving target. However, if target is to be changed mid flight, like the attack on 27th Feb 2019, then what kind of guidance will be suitable.

Variants of weapons can be made, but have they been tested. If a variant of C-802 is used for ground attack, then were their no other options available ? This is a long range missile. MAR-1 is a DEAD missile. Is there a ground attack missile that JF-17 can carry for a short range attack, like AGM-65 on F-16. Does PAF think that short range attacks should be carried out by bombs only ?

So there are many variables to play with starting from aircraft to the weapons it carries to the sensors that both aircraft and the weapon carry. That is just one part of the story.

No, the bold part is not true. I am learning from others like yourself.

Last edited:
What about A2G Missiles of JF-17, there are none AFAIK.

Will JFT Block-III carry a long range Air to surface missile ? and im not talking about DEAD (MAR-1) or AShM (C- series). A SOM to fire on enemy ground infrastructure. Any Turkish/Chinese options ?

SOM will make BLK III truly lethal. A stealthy and smart cruise missile originally designed for the F-35 will give PAF much needed offensive punch against S-400s and similar systems.

We might witness top notch Turkish gadgets showing the capability through Thunders. Just a matter of time. I was however thinking that why most of the times, we somehow hear or read that there is a tailor made solution or tailor made weapon out of existing platform, can be due to our own "Data Link". Yes, a weapon has to operate in network solution as well if needed and that is the area that most leading/advance/professional Air Forces are working to contain the rival. Therefore, things may take time but as the one says "It (Thunder) will be (In'Sha"ALLAH) not just showcase capability & power but also, will shock the enemy.

We might witness top notch Turkish gadgets showing the capability through Thunders. Just a matter of time. I was however thinking that why most of the times, we somehow hear or read that there is a tailor made solution or tailor made weapon out of existing platform, can be due to our own "Data Link". Yes, a weapon has to operate in network solution as well if needed and that is the area that most leading/advance/professional Air Forces are working to contain the rival. Therefore, things may take time but as the one says "It (Thunder) will be (In'Sha"ALLAH) not just showcase capability & power but also, will shock the enemy.
Is there any chance of UAE showing interest in Block 3 o_Oo_O ?
I don’t see any requirements or anywhere it can fit in UAEAF

SOM Integration on F-16 is questionable, however JF-17 could be a suitable candidate.
I am not sure why we should field SOM when we have demonstrated our capability to design, develop and manufacture ALCM for years now.

We should make our own conventional ALCM suited for JFT is what I would hope for.

EQNVTX7X0AAq2N9

EQNVTX5WAAEjM9d

Actually it is 120km, but for 1m² RCS target.
Damn that's really good. I assume it's far longer range for a fighter jet as huge(with no stealth features) as Su30 MKI. If as per Khafee Pak does get F16V upgrades(along with new ones)...it would effectively neutralize the hundreds of Su30 MKIs in IAF fleet(at least on paper).

Back
Top Bottom