What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Switched on will increase. But if it's an AESA then much less so I believe as it is an LPI radar.
Not all AESA are LPI. are you sure that KLJ-A is an LPI AESA Radar ?
Is RBE2 AA Radar of Rafale LPI or not ?

I have mentioned characteristics which point towards LPI Radar.
If China is really making LPIRs, they are on a whole new league over most of the radar makers. Currently, USA only uses LPI radars and the radar of F-35 isn’t LPIR

Not all AESA are LPI. are you sure that KLJ-A is an LPI AESA Radar ?
Is RBE2 AA Radar of Rafale LPI or not ?
I am a layman on the subject ... but from what I could gather from the internet ... RBE2 AA Radar of Rafale is LPI. And I assume that after almost 5 years of it's announcement, the version selected by the PAF must be that.

Not all AESA are LPI
Could kindly explain this?

As per your assertion, these characteristics are not standard on an AESA? If not, then can you kindly provide an example of such an AESA radar which is not LPI?
My analysis is a bit different.

If AESA is an LPI and if LPI uses FMCW (Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave). But FMCW radar DSP (Digital Signal Processing) is unable to distinguish between the real radar echo signal and a jamming signal with identical modulation when it detects enemy aircraft and enemy aircraft is using jammer to jam radar (meaning the AESA or LPI is getting jammed). In such case, the jamming signal receives the radar processing gain, which allows it to penetrate LPI radar DSP and alter the detection result. This makes FMCW radar vulnerable to repeater jamming. This process is done through "Repeater jamming technique" which requires the victim radar (AESA or LPI) parameters be available in the system database through ELINT (say in peacetime). Then not only LPI gets detected but also jammed. so is still an LPI Radar or will it be an AESA and not an LPI ?

The one on indian Jaguars
That project ended in failure. 6 two sitters were to be converted and it turned out that the engine that was supposed to be upgraded and support the Elta el/m 2052 AESA radar was coming at too high a price ... hence the project was cancelled. Elta El/M 2052 is an excellent AESA radar.

My analysis is a bit different.

If AESA is an LPI and if LPI uses FMCW (Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave). But FMCW radar DSP (Digital Signal Processing) is unable to distinguish between the real radar echo signal and a jamming signal with identical modulation when it detects enemy aircraft and enemy aircraft is using jammer to jam radar (meaning the AESA or LPI is getting jammed). In such case, the jamming signal receives the radar processing gain, which allows it to penetrate LPI radar DSP and alter the detection result. This makes FMCW radar vulnerable to repeater jamming. This process is done through "Repeater jamming technique" which requires the victim radar (AESA or LPI) parameters be available in the system database through ELINT (say in peacetime). Then not only LPI gets detected but also jammed. so is still an LPI Radar or will it be an AESA and not an LPI ?
From what you are saying ... if I could understand correctly ... is that you presented a scenario where AESA/LPI gets defeated and is jammed. That may happen I guess. From what I understand LPI means difficult to jam but may not be impossible to jam.

That project ended in failure. 6 two sitters were to be converted and it turned out that the engine that was supposed to be upgraded and support the Elta el/m 2052 AESA radar was coming at too high a price ... hence the project was cancelled. Elta El/M 2052 is an excellent AESA radar.
No I think they have recently upgraded some units.
@Water Car Engineer @KapitaanAli @Zapper

From what you are saying ... if I could understand correctly ... is that you presented a scenario where AESA/LPI gets defeated and is jammed. That may happen I guess. From what I understand LPI means difficult to jam but may not be impossible to jam.
Yes. But tell me can PESA be an LPI radar too ?

Back
Top Bottom