What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

There is a competition between CETC and AVIC.
Sometimes i think that Blk3 picture and info, we are being fed is old and maybe when everything was finalised and LRIP was going to commence they on purpose leaked those old photos.

Last edited:
@Tempest II @airomerix @Windjammer @HRK
Physically is it possible to make space for Chinese EOTS-86 (J-20’s EOTS) on Current Thunder airframes ?

3001 is not that far as well, might already be flying or in final assembly i guess
You can always make space at the expense of something. They might have to accept that there will be a unsightly bulge somewhere. They may have to relocate something else and make space for it. They maybe relocate processors for the EOTS and radar away from the nose, maybe make on fuel tank smaller. it is never strictly impossible, but a compromise. Does the added device solve more problems that it creates? Does it solve more important problems than it creates?

Best IRST for JF-17 bk-03
220px-RAF_Typhoon_Prepares_for_Takeoff_from_Italy_on_Libyan_Mission_MOD_45152843.jpg

PIRATE (Passive InfraRed Airborne Track Equipment) is the FLIR/IRST for Eurofighter Typhoon. Developed by the Airborne and Space Systems Division-led consortium, Eurofirst, PIRATE is a complex system that operates radar-like modes in a wide field of regard. PIRATE is capable of operating against several heavily cluttered scenarios in each one of the following IRST modes: Multiple Target Tracking, Single Target Tracking and Slaved Acquisition.

Best IRST for JF-17 bk-03
220px-RAF_Typhoon_Prepares_for_Takeoff_from_Italy_on_Libyan_Mission_MOD_45152843.jpg

PIRATE (Passive InfraRed Airborne Track Equipment) is the FLIR/IRST for Eurofighter Typhoon. Developed by the Airborne and Space Systems Division-led consortium, Eurofirst, PIRATE is a complex system that operates radar-like modes in a wide field of regard. PIRATE is capable of operating against several heavily cluttered scenarios in each one of the following IRST modes: Multiple Target Tracking, Single Target Tracking and Slaved Acquisition.
No thanks. Nothing western on Jft otherwise you are killing the basic idea of THUNDER!

Last edited:
Even if that makes the JF-17 more potent ? and nothing that is available comes very close to it ?
Questions about the availability of space and the actual IRST/FLIR are a fair ask aren't they? It does appear that PAF has not been too convinced about the utility of the IRST on JFT and therefore not much emphasis hs been placed on its acquisition. I would love to hear your perspective on it.

A

Last edited:
Even if that makes the JF-17 more potent ? and nothing that is available comes very close to it ?
nopes. We ard not getting it so stop the day dreaming man. jf is already a potent fighter with block 3, it will reach new heights.

Questions about the avaioability of space and the actual IRST/FLIR are a fair ask arent they? It does appear that PAF has not been too convinced about the utility of the IRST on JFT and therefore not much emphasis hs been placed on its acquisition.
A
Also FLIR/IRST, being based on IR wavelength i.e. heat signature, are affected by weather conditions. Their utility requires good weather conditions to a very great extent. Mist, fog and rain etc would degrade their performance.

Also FLIR/IRST, being based on IR wavelength i.e. heat signature, are affected by weather conditions. Their utility requires good weather conditions to a very great extent. Mist, fog and rain etc would degrade their performance.
IRST is not a reliable tech and soon will become outdated. Their short range and application on WVR limits their usage during these BVR times.

IRST is not a reliable tech and soon will become outdated. Their short range and application on WVR limits their usage during these BVR times.
It can be useful as a pod for certain special scenarios. One such scenario that comes to mind is if it is utilized for a bombing mission. A fighter jet configured in ground role can fly low to avoid radar detection...and instead of using its radar can use the pod(like the sniper pod) for target identification and weapons' guidance to said target. Not using the jet's own radar, maintaining radio silence, and flying low...all of this can help lower the chances of aircraft being detected by enemy ground radars...all the while the aircraft is able to carry out its mission.

It can be useful as a pod for certain special scenarios. One such scenario that comes to mind is if it is utilized for a bombing mission. A fighter jet configured in ground role can fly low to avoid radar detection...and instead of using its radar can use the pod(like the sniper pod) for target identification and weapons' guidance to said target. Not using the jet's own radar, maintaining radio silence, and flying low...all of this can help lower the chances of aircraft being detected by enemy ground radars...all the while the aircraft is able to carry out its mission.
I didn’t neglect the usefulness of IRST, and like i said and you further told the same thing, IRST has applications for close range only... (Not counting Air To
Ground ops)

Back
Top Bottom