What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

the other site quotes:

As a fighter aircraft jointly developed by China and Pakistan, Nine Dragons have carried the great expectations placed by the Pakistan Air Force since its birth. Now that the new year is approaching, the first flight of AVIC ’s latest Dragon aircraft is a success, which is undoubtedly a precious New Year gift for Pakistan.

The first flight of the Dragon is the prototype of the Dragon 3 Block that has never been seen. Compared with the previous Dragons, the Dragon 3 has a large number of AVIC products, including the J-20 fighter. It uses a wide-angle diffractive holographic display, integrated cockpit display, advanced missile warning device, and plans to install more advanced avionics systems and active phased array radar.

http://www.axtoutiao.com/v881435

Here by 14 it is meant China Electric Power Division 14 plans to install it's liquid cooled radar
While 607 means AVIC Thunder and Lightening Institute ... which plans to install it's air cooled radar

Kindly read it again and understand.

sir check my post again, other sites (In Chinese) are quoting same sentence of 14 planes.....but again ...we should wait for more details

I think something is lost in google translation there. I suspect by 14, it means the CEP Division 14 company and not the number 14.
From looks of it, two different companies suggesting two different radars

AVIC (607) : KLJA-7A - bigger, powerful, liquid cooled, more matured BUT needs bigger nose
CEPD 14 : not named?, smaller, less powered but also less power consuming, air-cooled, relatively new or modified?, can fit in current nose size
Correction:
I got the name swapped.
Its CEPD 14 with liquid cooled KLJA-7A &
AVIC(607) with the other air cooled one..

I think everyone needs to relax a bit. Anyone who was so sure there would be major structural changes needs a reality check. This is (while far more technically advanced than previous blocks) still supposed to be a cost effective fighter. What that should mean is giving 4.5gen capability for a fraction of the cost of other options. If the AESA delivers on capabilities and the PL-10E and PL-15 are solid and it has a good EW suite it will be a solid performer. PAC will not have to competeIy retool and production costs should be relatively similar to blk 1 and 2. It the most well designed fighter... No, nor is it a slug... Its just solidly average in its design. But it is an agile dogfighter and if the electronics and weapons hold up, it will be a handful to face in the air and it is completely in PAF hands, so its infinitely better than other options where you are dependent on someone else.

The major thing i was disappointed in was the lack of an optical target. Now there is a possibility of E/O sensors like on the chin of J-31 and J-20 but more likely there will be a pod. The other part i found interesting is that while the Vertical stabilizer is the same as other single seat jets it didnt make use of composites like "B" model. I found that interesting, maybe it was a cost issue, but it would have significantly lightened up the plane further. Beyond that i still like the overall look of the aorcraft but as i mentioned its success will depend on its electronics and weapons, not its external changes. It is a fighter for PAF, so even exoorts are not the measure of its success. Its how it performs in PAFs hands. Dont get me wrong, i would love to see an export number in triple digits ut its not going to determine if this aircraft was successful, guarding Pakistan against IAF will. If it does this it is successful.

JF fanboy hurts... why would anyone share its state of the art aurora and other top-notch components into low partnership 3.5 gen aircraft before integration with its own 4.5/5 Gen fighters? No one shares its top of the line tech.... there is secrecy, confidentiality... The aircraft is still without expected AESA....So far good for defending skies but not for the int market, there is nothing new in this aircraft with respect to the global audience. The BLK III is an upgraded version of previous versions as simple as that. Nothing special about it except a few enhancements which are great because we've never experienced that before esp within our own initiated project...

Last edited:
the other site quotes:

As a fighter aircraft jointly developed by China and Pakistan, Nine Dragons have carried the great expectations placed by the Pakistan Air Force since its birth. Now that the new year is approaching, the first flight of AVIC ’s latest Dragon aircraft is a success, which is undoubtedly a precious New Year gift for Pakistan.

The first flight of the Dragon is the prototype of the Dragon 3 Block that has never been seen. Compared with the previous Dragons, the Dragon 3 has a large number of AVIC products, including the J-20 fighter. It uses a wide-angle diffractive holographic display, integrated cockpit display, advanced missile warning device, and plans to install more advanced avionics systems and active phased array radar.

http://www.axtoutiao.com/v881435

sir check my post again, other sites (In Chinese) are quoting same sentence of 14 planes.....but again ...we should wait for more details
I will leave it to your comprehension.

JF fanboy hurts... why would anyone share its state of the art aurora and other top-notch components into low partnership 3.5 gen aircraft before integration with its own 4.5/5 Gen fighters? its pure BS. No one shares its top of the line tech.... there is secrecy, confidentiality... The aircraft is still without expected AESA....So far good for defending skies but not for the int market, there is nothing new in this aircraft with respect to the global audience. The BLK III is an upgraded version of previous versions as simple as that. Nothing special about it except a few enhancements.
Not again sir, major upgrades on block-3 is internal, no one saying that China will transfer J-20 tech to Pakistan but few are base on technology that develop for J-20, J-10 is long known to have technology from J-20 for testing purpose most block-3 technology came from J-10B/C, you wanna see block-3 just like F-22/F-35 sir:hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

JF fanboy hurts... why would anyone share its state of the art aurora and other top-notch components into low partnership 3.5 gen aircraft before integration with its own 4.5/5 Gen fighters? its pure BS. No one shares its top of the line tech.... there is secrecy, confidentiality... The aircraft is still without expected AESA....So far good for defending skies but not for the int market, there is nothing new in this aircraft with respect to the global audience. The BLK III is an upgraded version of previous versions as simple as that. Nothing special about it except a few enhancements.

We dont knownif it has a radar or no radar selection. What we do know is when operationalized it will have a radar which will be an AESA. Again,whether it takes 2021 export market by storm or only sells to PAF it has a function that no 4. 5 gen fighter can do, that is defend Pakistani skies without the threat of sanctions on a cost PAF can afford. All other issues aside, no other fighter can do that for PAF, so at this point it it what it is. Your sulking about it or these fanboys fighting you about what is or is not or what could have been, all of that should be channeled into Azm because the thunder is already materialized and there is little anyone can do to make huge structural changes currently.

Tests flights are usually done without radar. .

I m sure final product will have a radar in it

49296604633_c0fc0bc3ae_k.jpg

well, design does not look stealthy.
Anyways, welcome Block-3 with with new features and extra punch.

stealth is for super uber rich militaries... this fighter will do well in Ind-Pak scenario.
If it can fire 100 km BVRs do some precision strikes its more than sufficient although I have apprehensions for single Russian jet engine... a euro engine or in future a matured chinese engine will be better as chinese r investing sh!t load of money in jet engine tech. All in all good incremental progress.
If IAF was not a choosy arse b!tch Tejas could have been in same spot.

JF fanboy hurts... why would anyone share its state of the art aurora and other top-notch components into low partnership 3.5 gen aircraft before integration with its own 4.5/5 Gen fighters? No one shares its top of the line tech.... there is secrecy, confidentiality... The aircraft is still without expected AESA....So far good for defending skies but not for the int market, there is nothing new in this aircraft with respect to the global audience. The BLK III is an upgraded version of previous versions as simple as that. Nothing special about it except a few enhancements which are great because we've never experienced that before esp within our own initiated project...

JF-17 export will be no less than a miracle. Cause nowadays defence procurements are more political. An example will be France and India. India is buying weapons from France and in return France is supporting them both economically and politically. Most of the resolutions like FATF against Pakistan was spearheaded by France. Pakistan cannot provide such support.

IMO for this prototype, they're probably starting out with testing the new flight control system and engine tune-ups (as per info of changes via @airomerix), and they'll start adding the other subsystems in the subsequent months.

True.

HMD/pods/weapons are supplementary systems which can be integrated later. However, the main challenge with Block 3 was additional thrust and 3 axis FBW which required reevaluation of the aerodynamics from the ground up.

Everything else will come along eventually.

@aliyusuf yes you are right.... in an English site it says:

CEPD 14 plans to install a liquid-cooled KLJ-7A while AVIC 607 plans to install a new type of air-cooled phased array radar, both of which were displayed at the Zhuhai Air Show.

Thank for the correction.

JF-17 export will be no less than a miracle. Cause nowadays defence procurements are more political. An example will be France and India. India is buying weapons from France and in return France is supporting them both economically and politically. Most of the resolutions like FATF against Pakistan was spearheaded by France. Pakistan cannot provide such support.

If that's the only reason (heard from every single) stop pushing it into the market. Surprised which idiot who has the option to get fully loaded state of the art capable aircraft in such price, intentionally ignore just because of "International Politics". That's what I understand from your post. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Bro, does Block 4 intend to go medium category similar to Gripen NG Route ?

Block 3 is intended to match the Gripen NG. You will see in the coming years how block 3 is modified with additional goodies.

Block 4 is still on the drawing board. And if anyone tells you what block 4 is envisioned with is lying. The information shared on Block 4 is strictly on need to know basis.

Back
Top Bottom