What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

20191230083926824.png

20191230083934318.png

20191230091518936.png

20191230100310804.jpg

Its is open secret now....
https://www.guancha.cn/military-affairs/2019_12_30_529936.shtml
the source you quote says "This may mean that JF-17 Block 3's active phased array radar is still in the bidding process and has not been finalized. At present, two domestic companies are bidding for the radar project of JF-17 Block 3, one is AVIC Thunder and Lightning Institute (607), and the other is China Electric Power Division 14."

So no AESA type confirmed

Yep. True. I last 5, 10 pages that i have gone through, the only criticism i have seen is about V-Stabilizer.

And the only problem is that there was no such example before this, where 2 different models of same jet have 2 different kind of stablizer. So this is a sh1t plane as we can't find any example of a jet with different stablizers in different models.

Good radar, not useful becoz of the V-S
Good avionics, missile system, 3 FBW, everything thrown out of the window becoz there is not any example of a jet having different stablizers in different models.

Sorry. no offence to anyone but i just don't buy this logic. But then i am a nobody.
Blind having an argument over color of the sky :partay:

90% of the posters here do not possess the requisite knowledge, training, education to participate in an informed discussion regarding planes let alone fighter planes. A simple question regarding fluid dynamics will have them stumped. Hence I do not participate in the circle jerk being exhibited on this thread since the first pics of the BLK 3 came out. I'm glad there are other folks out there who hold the same opinion as I do.

It is however fun to see the mental breakdown of the fan boys who were expecting Blk 3 be twin of F-22 :partay:

JF-17 Blk3 is a good plane, and definitely will form the backbone of our airforce, but it is no 4.5+ Gen monster.

also note that first 14 JFTs will be equipped with KLJ-7As while remaining will have other model....

By 14 they meant ... China Electric Power Division 14

It clearly states that issue of deciding the AESA radar is still not decided.

in comments section it is mentioned :

It is best to use the liquid cooling of 14 units on block 3, and the air cooling of 607 is used to directly upgrade block 2, so that the Pakistani army has hundreds of AESA fighters

also note that first 14 JFTs will be equipped with KLJ-7As while remaining will have other model....
I think something is lost in google translation there. I suspect by 14, it means the CEP Division 14 company and not the number 14.
From looks of it, two different companies suggesting two different radars

CEPD 14 : KLJA-7A - bigger, powerful, liquid cooled, more matured BUT needs bigger nose
AVIC (607) : not named?, smaller, less powered but also less power consuming, air-cooled, relatively new or modified?, can fit in current nose size

Last edited:
well, design does not look stealthy.
Anyways, welcome Block-3 with with new features and extra punch.

let me check again

here it is :

According to the pictures released on the scene, this JF-17 Block 3 prototype uses a large number of AVIC's shelf products, and some technologies have been applied to our military's own J-10C and J-20 fighters. From the figure, the most obvious improvement of the JF-17 Block 3 is the replacement of a larger polygon full-frame diffraction head-up display (HUD) and an integrated cockpit display, similar to the J-20 fighter screen display. In addition, the Nine Dragons Block 3 is also equipped with an advanced omnidirectional infrared missile warning system. At present, three new fighter aircrafts of the J-10C, J-16 and J-20 are equipped with this advanced infrared warning system.

According to previous reports from AVIC, the Nine Dragons Block 3 will install Active Phased Array Radar (AESA) according to Pakistan ’s requirements. However, the prototype 3000 did not have a radar, only an aluminum metal cover and counterweight, and a nose radar. The size of the hood did not change significantly.

This may mean that JF-17 Block 3's active phased array radar is still in the bidding process and has not been finalized. At present, two domestic companies are bidding for the radar project of JF-17 Block 3, one is AVIC Thunder and Lightning Institute (607), and the other is China Electric Power Division 14.

14 plans to install a liquid-cooled KLJ-7A active phased array radar for Nine Dragons, while 607 plans to install a new type of air-cooled phased array radar, both of which were displayed at the Zhuhai Air Show. KLJ-7A radar has large power and relatively mature technology, but it needs to redesign the head space; 607 air-cooled phased array radars have low power but low power consumption, and have successfully solved that the equipped PD radar fighter cannot be directly replaced in place. Problems with active phased array radar.

I think everyone needs to relax a bit. Anyone who was so sure there would be major structural changes needs a reality check. This is (while far more technically advanced than previous blocks) still supposed to be a cost effective fighter. What that should mean is giving 4.5gen capability for a fraction of the cost of other options. If the AESA delivers on capabilities and the PL-10E and PL-15 are solid and it has a good EW suite it will be a solid performer. PAC will not have to competeIy retool and production costs should be relatively similar to blk 1 and 2. It the most well designed fighter... No, nor is it a slug... Its just solidly average in its design. But it is an agile dogfighter and if the electronics and weapons hold up, it will be a handful to face in the air and it is completely in PAF hands, so its infinitely better than other options where you are dependent on someone else.

The major thing i was disappointed in was the lack of an optical target. Now there is a possibility of E/O sensors like on the chin of J-31 and J-20 but more likely there will be a pod. The other part i found interesting is that while the Vertical stabilizer is the same as other single seat jets it didnt make use of composites like "B" model. I found that interesting, maybe it was a cost issue, but it would have significantly lightened up the plane further. Beyond that i still like the overall look of the aorcraft but as i mentioned its success will depend on its electronics and weapons, not its external changes. It is a fighter for PAF, so even exoorts are not the measure of its success. Its how it performs in PAFs hands. Dont get me wrong, i would love to see an export number in triple digits ut its not going to determine if this aircraft was successful, guarding Pakistan against IAF will. If it does this it is successful.

let me check again

This may mean that JF-17 Block 3's active phased array radar is still in the bidding process and has not been finalized. At present, two domestic companies are bidding for the radar project of JF-17 Block 3, one is AVIC Thunder and Lightning Institute (607), and the other is China Electric Power Division 14.

14 plans to install a liquid-cooled KLJ-7A active phased array radar for Nine Dragons, while 607 plans to install a new type of air-cooled phased array radar, both of which were displayed at the Zhuhai Air Show. KLJ-7A radar has large power and relatively mature technology, but it needs to redesign the head space; 607 air-cooled phased array radars have low power but low power consumption, and have successfully solved that the equipped PD radar fighter cannot be directly replaced in place. Problems with active phased array radar.
Here by 14 it is meant China Electric Power Division 14 plans to install it's liquid cooled radar
While 607 means AVIC Thunder and Lightening Institute ... which plans to install it's air cooled radar

Kindly read it again and understand.

Back
Top Bottom