JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

It maybe the HUD on the plane
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Correct; as i noted in prior post to another; the priority has diminished with the newer blk 3; you are in the driver seat as a buyer as you have a better alternative in many respects.
We are short of jets.

Soon hypersonic missiles on JF 17 could be a reality. 3 institutes are working on those in china.
CM 400AKG is not Hypersonic?

Radar's range is only 170km. Thats very small

Come on man, Block 3 is in a league that no fighter in iaf or paf currently is !!!

I am not at all disappointed at this MightyDragon !!!

It will come above expectations in time

Externally:
I expected upgrades in the design so it be on a close level to Gripen NG, bigger wing area for maneuverability, more composites etc. We had Jf17 since 2007 and I had expectation paf will make it a truly 4.5th generation light weight fighter jet. Remember we will be having 250 to 300 jf17s to defend our skies against Rafael, su30mkis and Miraj2000. The plane which will be the heart of our defence had to be top quality. It took us 7 years since the flight on block 2s and we just came out with a similar design. The block 1 and 2 design is 1980s design.

Internally
I would say its alot better as it has 4.5th generation technology. Am happy with what am seeing and reading.

The engine Improvement was expected because the previous engine was giving smoke away and quality was not great comparing to other engines.
Aesa radar is a must so I expected it, Hobs, Hud, better jamming, missile system is a must. All these can be added on block 1 and 2s and we can expect future upgrades to have these.

Hmd? I hope so but it doesn't look like it will have it.

Last edited:
It has decent range of 3000 km and as for IRST we install podded IRST if customer ask

Just no senior and professional members claims that block-3 will have first flight in 2016-17 and will mass produced in 2019-20 i am reading this forum since 2011 and regularly reading various sticky threads of JF-17 never heard this news before

Here are few things i found. I am sure if i spend another 20 minutes i can find more stuff. JF-17 block 3 is three years late and still doesn't match the capabilities of Saab JAS 39 Gripen NG.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/3867-paf-to-induct-jf17-thunder-block-iii-in-2016
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/paf-to-induct-jf17-thunder-block-iii-in-2016.381282/

Thunder Remains Silent on Export Order | Paris Air Show 2015 content from Aviation Week

Jun 16, 2015
Mahmood confirms that early work is being undertaken on a Block III configuration, probably to include enhancements to radar, avionics and weapons in conjunction with “chin” stations for sensor- or targeting pods. He was unable to confirm any connection between this program and the JF-17 weapons integration testbed (numbered 0213) which was built in China late last year.

Thunder Remains Silent on Export Order | Paris Air Show 2015 content from Aviation Week

Nov 22, 2013
Reuben F Johnson, Dubai - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
At this year's Dubai Airshow officials from the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) in Kamra discussed their plans for a future Block 3 variant of the Chengdu JF-17/FC-1 fighter now that the Block 2 model has a mature configuration. The aircraft is produced jointly by the PAC and Chengdu Aerospace Corporation in China.

"The Block 3 aircraft now exists in the form of a conceptual design and a list of mission requirements," said one of the senior Pakistan Air Force (PAF) officers assigned to the programme, "but no concrete decisions have been made about the choice and configuration of the onboard systems for the aircraft."

Dubai Airshow 2013: Pakistan looks to Block 3 variant of JF-17 - IHS Jane's 360

https://quwa.org/2015/08/30/jf-17-iii-jf-17-block-3/

JF-17 block 2 delayed due to slow production of block 1
Based on the information available in the media and shared by PAF in varies airshows, JF-17 block 3 was supposed to be ready by 2016 - 2017 but for some reason it was delayed. Maybe PAF wanted to wait for IAF to decide which fighter jet they were going to acquire or whatever other reasons.

Last edited:
Just letting everyone know, @Stealth is a designer with a very good sense of aesthetics and balance. His disapproval towards JF-17 may be coming from it being visually bulky and displeasing.
But fighter are not designed on aesthetic/beaut designed based on their indented missions

It depends on which block of F-16s are you comparing JF-17 with. F-16 block 60 will be better than JF-17 block 3.
its mentioned in the video. JF17 is compared with PAF current block 52 fighters

Wrong, F-16 is proven platform. Even F-16 block 60 can beat JF-7 block 2 and 3.

Proven means it can also defeat the unproven f35 ?
technology matters most. now a days relatively newer fighters may give very hard time or even defeat f16 if they are put in head on engagement.

Please do check F18, F16 A/B and let me know are you sure about the logic which you’ve provided?
This is not my logic this some senior member logic, and only 4th 4.5 gen jet with canted 2 tails is is only F-18 i think and it for rather used to stabilized F-18 rather to give F-18 stealth, so what about F-16 is on V stab, is their any problem in F-16 V stab???

its mentioned in the video. JF17 is compared with PAF current block 52 fighters

Jf17 cant be compared to f16s as f16 is a killing machine. Plus one is light weight and other is medium weight with better quality technology. This is why I try to compare it to Gripen as they in the same weight class.

If Jf17 is better than our block 15s or mirage 5 then on February 2019 we would have used jf17s to shoot Indian jets but instead it was the 1980s f16s and 1960s mirage 5.

It was posted by @airomerix few days ago,probably many havn't read that,i am reposting it.
I saw a few guys claiming block 3 having a different design and hardpoints. That is not all the case.

JF-17 Block 3 is IDENTICAL to block 2 in almost all aspects externally.

The major differences include;

1) Revamped software to support and handle a variety of missions (ie. SEAD/DEAD)
2) New weapons such as PL-15, RAAD will be the highlights for block 3.
3) Improved engine performance. Turbines have been reworked to produce added thrust.
4) AESA radar (cannot disclose which one)
5) Turkish EW suite
6) Strengthened abdomen and wing roots to carry heavy weapons such as RAAD and PL-15s.
7) Recc pods will be fully operational.
8) Upgraded Link capability similar to F-16s. All JF-17s are able to communicate with SAAB's securely. Each JF-17 pilot would know what other JF-17 can see and what he is up to in a given mission. What are his fuel levels, what is the status of his weapons. It's a fully integrated system just like F-16's link 16 which Wg Cmdr Nouman Ali Khan leveraged to execute a mission beautifully.

In other words, IAF will be faced Block 52 category weapons systems that too in mass numbers in just 5 years from now. Production of Block 2 is slowing down and Block 3 will be produced from February 2020 at PAC.

The first two Block 3's are currently undergoing FCFs (functional check flights) and are expected to join PAF in February 2020.

On the export side, 08 Block 2's are to be delivered to Nigeria in 2020. Qatar and Malaysia are eyeing for Block 3.

In a nutshell, JF-17 program has been a blessing for Pakistan Air Force. Its only a matter of time when we will have access to EU hardware. The Block 4 is already on the charts and it will be nothing short of a Rafale as far as current plans are concerned.

I would be shitting my pants if I was IAF
.​
By:- @airomerix

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom