What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

Do you mean a new engine?
It doesnt necessarily mean a new engine. Same engine can be tuned up just by tuning ECM parameters. I have worked on the development of lots of IC Engines with different power ratings, physical engine remains the same but the ECM software is updated/tuned for more power output or better fuel consumption or lower emissions depending on its application. Its all possible by using different techniques. Same is also possible with jet engines. Bigger intakes mean more oxidizer available to burn more fuel to attain higher power output levels which we ultimately need for new energy intensive Avionics like AESA Radar and external pods in block 3. Lets see what we get...

Last edited:
It doesnt necessarily mean a new engine. Same engine can be tuned up just by tuning ECM parameters. I have worked on the development of lots of IC Engines with different power ratings, physical engine remains the same but the ECM software is updated/tuned for more power output or better fuel consumption or lower emissions depending on its application. Its all possible by using different techniques. Same is also possible with jet engines. Bigger intakes mean more oxidizer available to burn more fuel to attain higher power output levels which we ultimately need for new energy intensive Avionics like AESA Radar and external pods in block 3. Lets see what we get...
But most of the time it came at the cost of the life of the engine...

But most of the time it came at the cost of the life of the engine...
You are right, the more the oxidizer and fuel combust, the hotter the temperatures inside which ultimately reduces the life of the components overtime. Secondly, the increased fuel consumption means shorter legs of the aircraft which is particularly very important for smaller jets like JF-17. This all reduces down at the end to R&D; like the quality of fuel pumps, high pressure tubes, injectors and the super light weight alloys that make up not only the combustion chamber and turbines but even the rivets, bearings and bolts; which could withstand those higher temperatures. This is where the western engines (P&W, GE, Rolls-Royce) beat the russians. They put top researchers and ample money in their R&D which ultimately reflects in the high specific-power outputs (power to weight ratios) and relatively longer lives of their engines.

Last edited:
I don't think that is going to happen. Look at what you are writing taking into consideration how much time has been taken to progress from Block 2 to 3. Do you really think these time scales are possible given PAF and Pakistan's resource constraints. With things improving it will still take us anywhere between 5 to 10 years to extricate ourselves from the problems that these two pieces of turds have left us with. Plus powers that be will never want us to escape their clutches and be independent. So there will be additional pressures and glitches created to impede progress.
A

Thats a realistic assertion. I think the best option after blk 3 is to get a joint licensed production of advanced variant of J10, some that can replace and be better than F16s.

IMG_4411.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Reposting again to refresh memory

Thats a realistic assertion. I think the best option after blk 3 is to get a joint licensed production of advanced variant of J10, some that can replace and be better than F16s.
I do not see an "after block 3 phase" being a licenced assembly of another plane from China. That in my view is taking a step back. We have a product which we are progressively developing. Why do we want to destroy it and go back to licence production of another plane.
In my view we will continue block wise production and upgrade as well as work on Project Azm. We cannot afford to nor do we have the manpower to divert attention to another interim project.
IF we need an interim project it will be off the shelf buy. Realistically it may be either J10 or F16 or anotherJ fighter but it will be off the shelf purchase. If the cookie had crumbled according to plan we could have acquired the J31 and worked on project Azm at leisure but things have not progressed sufficiently till now to have a gander at that project.
Let us see what the future brings for us.
Regards
A

Last edited:
If JF-17 Block-3 is supposed to enter PAF or production by March 2020 then even if subsystems not fully integrated the airframe should have been ready by now and entered testing in China. PAF/CATIC are doing a good job hiding it
Do you mean a new engine?
Same engine, new variant with higher thrust. RD93 ---> RD93MA

Where is this coming from ?

View attachment 586414

View attachment 586415

Not sure what to make out if it ?

I have a feeling that JF block 3 will have minor structural changes that will be eventually adopted by rest of 1 and 2 blocks. different nose cone to accommodate AESA radar and IRST similar to J-10B more stealthier shape air intake, bigger dorsal spine to accommodate more avionics.

JF-17 is a true customize able platform like building your own gaming rig (JF-17) instead of buying HP desktop (F-16).

Daikho Pakistan main sardiyon ki dhund pehle ati hai ya JF17 Block 3

I do not see an "after block 3 phase" being a licenced assembly of another plane from China. That in my view is taking a step back. We have a product which we are progressively developing. Why do we want to destroy it and go back to licence production of another plane.
In my view we will continue block wise production and upgrade as well as work on Project Azm. We cannot afford to nor do we have the manpower to divert attention to another interim project.
IF we need an interim project it will be off the shelf buy. Realistically it may be either J10 or F16 or anotherJ fighter but it will be off the shelf purchase. If the cookie had crumbled according to plan we could have acquired the J31 and worked on project Azm at leisure but things have not progressed sufficiently till now to have a gander at that project.
Let us see what the future brings for us.
Regards
A

Ur right in thats regards but my point is that we climb the ladder of technology properly. Project Azm is a far fetched idea and even countries like Russia is struggling with its 5th gen fighter. As we have gained experience in JF17 a lightweight fighter, replacing mirages and F7s, the next logical step is to work on replenishing our fleet of 4.5++ gen fighter. We can have a sort of JF19, with bigger engine and payload with new design. somethin to go along with F16s and instead buy off the shelf J20 or J30 as the need arises. Its after this that we can think of going 5th gen local production.

Back
Top Bottom