What's new

JF-17 and PLAAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to my knowledge jf-17 is already on par with f-16 block 30 and if not blk 30 thn atleast to blk 15

mate thunder is better then f16 block 30 and in some features its even comparable to block50.besides it cant load much as f16 but it can deliver all the weapon that f16 can deliver.

JF 17 is a ideal figter jet for anti ship role amd Air to Ground roles but im not sure about Air to Air

On what basis are you making this assumption? Can you elaborate on it plz

JF 17 is a ideal figter jet for anti ship role amd Air to Ground roles but im not sure about Air to Air

we just need a good AESA radar from any particular european firm for air-air combat issue
other then that there is nothing wrong in it's current engine(RD-93)
i think it is quite comparable with other 4+++ A/C's engine

I believe PLAAF will never opt for JF-17. Rather they would sell it to poor nations and make some money to fund their future projects.
JF-17 simply isn't capable enough to compete with PLAAF's current inventory. It makes no sense to replace current aircraft with JF-17. They would rather replace them with J-10, J11 and in future J-XX.
JF-17 was Pakistan's requirement and not China's.
China can afford better planes, Pakistan cannot at the moment. So JF-17 is for Pakistan for next 20 years.

I agree that the JF-17 is insufficient. It is pretty much a basic 4th gen fighter that is optimized more for a air to air role then a attack role.

For example it can only carry 8,000 pounds of ordinance compared to a F-16 which can carry close to double that amount. It isn't a workhorse by any means and it has a less powerful engine and is just a little bit smaller then a F-16(JF 17 is 4,000 pounds lighter but F-16 engines compensate the weight ratio)

Avionics wise the Radar range is more comparable to the AN/APG-66 radar used in Pakistani Block 15 F-16s. The APG-66(V)2 was the exact one Pakistan used which has better clutter control and some other goodies. Pakistani JF-10 has a KLJ-7 radar which is reversed engineered by the Chinese from 1990s radars they obtained from the Russians.

I hope this analysis helped.

I agree that the JF-17 is insufficient. It is pretty much a basic 4th gen fighter that is optimized more for a air to air role then a attack role.

For example it can only carry 8,000 pounds of ordinance compared to a F-16 which can carry close to double that amount. It isn't a workhorse by any means and it has a less powerful engine and is just a little bit smaller then a F-16(JF 17 is 4,000 pounds lighter but F-16 engines compensate the weight ratio)

Avionics wise the Radar range is more comparable to the AN/APG-66 radar used in Pakistani Block 15 F-16s. The APG-66(V)2 was the exact one Pakistan used which has better clutter control and some other goodies. Pakistani JF-10 has a KLJ-7 radar which is reversed engineered by the Chinese from 1990s radars they obtained from the Russians.

Just to give example when Alkhalid first build it was able to carry 25 rounds and 6 to 7 Rounds per min firing rate. But now It upgrade AK1 can carry 39 rounds and 9 to 10 rounds per min firing rate. And more is coming in Alkhalid 2. We just needed a start. JF 17 is that start finish line is far far away.

For example it can only carry 8,000 pounds of ordinance compared to a F-16 which can carry close to double that amount. It isn't a workhorse by any means and it has a less powerful engine and is just a little bit smaller then a F-16(JF 17 is 4,000 pounds lighter but F-16 engines compensate the weight ratio).

In case of payload i will certainly agree with u that it has much less payload ability plus less hardpoints as compared to other 4th generation aircrafts and in payload terms 3 jf-17 will do the same job wat a single su-30 can do but still u cant judge any fighter just on the basis of the payload it can carry ,there are other lot of thngs

In case of payload i will certainly agree with u that it has much less payload ability plus less hardpoints as compared to other 4th generation aircrafts and in payload terms 3 jf-17 will do the same job wat a single su-30 can do but still u cant judge any fighter just on the base of the payload it can carry there are other lot of thngs

Well of course but the more you can carry the better. I still regard F-16s to be the top fighter of Pakistan's air force though. Even lower block F-16s have so much going for them.

Well of course but the more you can carry the better. I still regard F-16s to be the top fighter of Pakistan's air force though. Even lower block F-16s have so much going for them.

you can thnk wat ever u want to.but i thnk PAF thnks opposite

Which is why PAF has ordered F-16 52s.
F 16 is USA man. Look at the experience and budget they have. they reached F 16 after having 40 years of experience with air crafts if we start from P51 Mustangs. And JF 17 is our first with no experience with Jet Making AC.

F 16 is USA man. Look at the experience and budget they have. they reached F 16 after having 40 years of experience with air crafts if we start from P51 Mustangs. And JF 17 is our first with no experience with Jet Making AC.

I am in no way trying to bash the effort made for the JF-17 it is a good 4th gen aircraft(very nice class cockpit integration not to mention cost effective) i simply gave a comparison of it to the F-16s PAF has in service right now.

Every airforce has it's specific requirements, JF-17 was made keeping Pakistan's requirements in mind..........It is a cost effective, single engine,all weather,day and night,multi-role aircraft..........
Made to be simple to maintain and upgrade so that should the need arise, Pakistan can pit as many aircraft against India. If they sustain damage, they land are repaired and sent right back up. When you have a multi-role aircraft, you can never be short of Bombers, Interceptors, Air-superiority fighters, cuz they are all in one.
Now, China has other needs, they mostly use Dedicated role aircrafts with greater range, more powerful engines......................so JF-17 doesn't cut it for them, they may induct a squadron or two..............but it won't become their workhorse like ours(i.e250-300 aircrafts).........

Which is why PAF has ordered F-16 52s.

Paf ordered that coz Paf was more intrested in getting the equipment which is coming along with f-16 block 52 plus they orderd extra euipments to use in their 80's f-16 ,order of 36 f-16 block 52 was dropped down to 18 and that tender went in the favour of j-10 when u look on paper Paf are getting just 18 f-16block 52 but when u look at the equipment which is coming along them then u will realize dat its a hell of fire power for example 500 aim-120c5 its the biggest contract for the purchse of these bvr missiles by any foriegn country do u thnk all of thesewill b used on 18 f-16's noway ,Paf will also equipp jf-17 with these bvr missiles plus Paf will also have an inside of the block 52 which may help to improve further batch of jf-17 as both have quite similarity in their structure

In the design of JF-17 extra room has been kept aside for any future upgrade involving a larger engine, so in future a larger more powerful engine can be installed in the JF-17, and with use of composites its weight can further be reduced to compensate the weight gained in having a larger engine.

And the radar isn't KLJ-7, its much better one compared to the original KLJ-7 specifications, and the current radar is better in performance wise compared to the radars we are having on our F-16, keeping aside the Blk 52s.

And the Chinese radar isn't of 90s technology, do remember the 2000s decade has also passed in it, during which lot of improvements have been done.

And yeah we did order 18 Blk 52s, and we left the option for ordering 18 further, hope so you can guess why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom