What's new

Jews in Gujarat to receive minority status soon

@El Sidd

When some religion or faith in India is given minority status, that basically means one thing, that government cant interfere in the way you teach and preach your school or teh school of thought you adhere to . Be it a madrassa or a Parsi school.
The govt interference is limited to governance and adhering to education standards.

Thats the biggest thing in giving minority status. + you get additional perks but Jews are quite rich in India and they dont need that.

So Kosher Beef will fall into governance or religious right?

Neither. Food is a different thing and a fundamental right.

What about the religious books of the Jews? Will they have to go through checks so that the syllabus be sanctioned by the government?

How does it work? A Jew can be classed as Jew by state of Gujrat but not in rest of India?

@El Sidd

When some religion or faith in India is given minority status, that basically means one thing, that government cant interfere in the way you teach and preach your school or teh school of thought you adhere to . Be it a madrassa or a Parsi school.
The govt interference is limited to governance and adhering to education standards.

Thats the biggest thing in giving minority status. + you get additional perks but Jews are quite rich in India and they dont need that.

Bhai Parsi schools are not like madrassas. They are normal CBSE/ICSE schools which all communities go to.

If anything, there is too little religious teaching and history for our kids.

I knew the Ramayana and Mahabharata before I read an Amar Chitra Katha comic on the life of Zarathustra.

Cheers, Doc

How does it work? A Jew can be classed as Jew by state of Gujrat but not in rest of India?

States can declare communities as minorities based on their Numbers.

In October 2016, Maharashtra became the first state in the country to give Jewish people the minority status. The decision was based on the Maharashtra State Minorities Commission Act, 2004, which empowers the government to declare a community a minority. Prior to that, the state had in 2006 declared Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, Parsis and Jains as religious minorities.

The Indian Jewish Federation had submitted before the state government that the community had a population of between 2,000-2,500 in the state as per its own estimates and had sought the minority status to avail schemes meant for minorities.

The grant of minority status also enables the government to come up with special schemes that may suit a community.

what is the purpose of having this minority status?

Bhai Parsi schools are not like madrassas. They are normal CBSE/ICSE schools which all communities go to.

If anything, there is too little religious teaching and history for our kids.

I knew the Ramayana and Mahabharata before I read an Amar Chitra Katha comic on the life of Zarathustra.

Cheers, Doc

so whose to blame. the parsi populace or those who forced them to forget about their past and live in the glory of Hindustan?

so whose to blame. the parsi populace or those who forced them to forget about their past and live in the glory of Hindustan?

Parsis.

We are way too westernized, liberal and secular for our own good.

Cheers, Doc

So how are Parsis reforming themselves?

We are debating whether it would be a good idea to convert en masse to a aggressive orthodox religion with special schools that spew hatred for nonbelievers and fire and brimstone damnation for any deviation from the divinely ordained path.

It's a work in progress. Not helped by the global mess the prime candidate faith finds itself in.

Will keep you updated as things develop.

Cheers, Doc

We are debating whether it would be a good idea to convert en masse to a aggressive orthodox religion with special schools that spew hatred for nonbelievers and fire and brimstone damnation for any deviation from the divinely ordained path.

It's a work in progress. Not helped by the global mess the prime candidate faith finds itself in.

Will keep you updated as things develop.

Cheers, Doc

I will keep the fire burning till then

States can declare communities as minorities based on their Numbers.

In October 2016, Maharashtra became the first state in the country to give Jewish people the minority status. The decision was based on the Maharashtra State Minorities Commission Act, 2004, which empowers the government to declare a community a minority. Prior to that, the state had in 2006 declared Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhists, Parsis and Jains as religious minorities.

The Indian Jewish Federation had submitted before the state government that the community had a population of between 2,000-2,500 in the state as per its own estimates and had sought the minority status to avail schemes meant for minorities.

The grant of minority status also enables the government to come up with special schemes that may suit a community.

So if a Jew step outside state of Gujrat into another state in India, his rights as minority will disappear?

So if a Jew step outside state of Gujrat into another state in India, his rights as minority will disappear?

I am not sure, give me a while to respond please

Benefits are normally linked to domicile

Back
Top Bottom