What's new

Japan's Yanmar wants to produce combined harvester in Bangladesh

rainbowrascal

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Japanese agricultural machinery manufacturer Yanmar has expressed interest to set up a factory in Bangladesh to manufacture combine harvesters for reaping paddy.

Yanmar is willing to set up the plant in a joint venture with the country's ACI Motors.

A delegation led by Sogo Det, international business head of Yanmar, came up with the proposal in a tripartite meeting with a team of ACI Motors and Agriculture Minister Muhammad Abdur Razzaque at the secretariat today.

Yanmar and ACI have decided to set up the plant as the combined harvesters of Yanmar have high demand in Bangladesh, the ministry said in a statement.

Sogo Det said they have an initial plan to go into production locally from early 2024.

In the meeting, Razzaque said the shortage of agricultural workers is intensifying day by day in the country. "Labours are not available during the harvesting period. Besides, the production cost in traditional methods is much higher and time-consuming too," he said.

Therefore, the government is working on mechanisation of agriculture on a priority basis and machinery is being supplied to farmers at 50 per cent subsidy across the country and 70 per cent subsidy in haor-coastal areas, the minister said.

Welcoming the initiative of Yanmar, Razzaque said, "We are emphasising manufacturing and assembling agriculture machinery locally. So, we will give all-out support to Yanmar in setting up factory in Bangladesh."

Yanmar, a Japanese diesel engine, heavy machinery and agricultural machinery manufacturer, was founded in March 1912 in Osaka and manufactured gasoline-powered engines the same year.

The company launched the world's first practical small diesel engine, the HB model, in 1933.

Japanese agricultural machinery manufacturer Yanmar has expressed interest to set up a factory in Bangladesh to manufacture combine harvesters for reaping paddy.

Yanmar is willing to set up the plant in a joint venture with the country's ACI Motors.

A delegation led by Sogo Det, international business head of Yanmar, came up with the proposal in a tripartite meeting with a team of ACI Motors and Agriculture Minister Muhammad Abdur Razzaque at the secretariat today.

Yanmar and ACI have decided to set up the plant as the combined harvesters of Yanmar have high demand in Bangladesh, the ministry said in a statement.

Sogo Det said they have an initial plan to go into production locally from early 2024.

In the meeting, Razzaque said the shortage of agricultural workers is intensifying day by day in the country. "Labours are not available during the harvesting period. Besides, the production cost in traditional methods is much higher and time-consuming too," he said.

Therefore, the government is working on mechanisation of agriculture on a priority basis and machinery is being supplied to farmers at 50 per cent subsidy across the country and 70 per cent subsidy in haor-coastal areas, the minister said.

Welcoming the initiative of Yanmar, Razzaque said, "We are emphasising manufacturing and assembling agriculture machinery locally. So, we will give all-out support to Yanmar in setting up factory in Bangladesh."

Yanmar, a Japanese diesel engine, heavy machinery and agricultural machinery manufacturer, was founded in March 1912 in Osaka and manufactured gasoline-powered engines the same year.

The company launched the world's first practical small diesel engine, the HB model, in 1933.
Wow!

@bluesky
@UKBengali
@Homo Sapiens
@Bilal9

BD government pls don’t mess this up.

Keep toupee wala and the bbs wala away from the Japanese delegation.

Need @bluesky bhai to handle all negotiations.

Wow!

@bluesky
@UKBengali
@Homo Sapiens
@Bilal9

It is not really possible for BD to "mess this up".

Japan wants to make sure that it stitches up one of the great upcoming markets for rice harvesters in the world.

BD has a desperate shortage of farm workers and wages are rapidly rising(7+ US dollars a day back in 2019) and so more mechanisation will be needed to both keep costs down and get the rice harvested.

Please always send the link of the news.

It is a good news that the machines will be produced/ assembled in BD. But, why it is only harvesters and not also power tillers that I see in the agriculture fields in Japan? Even Vietnam is producing this item.

WE have to ask a few BAL cronies for this because they will lose money as they import Tractors from China. I have seen in the villages that one family owns it and other people borrow it from that family to tilt their lands. Driver is also from the owner.

In the case of power tillers, every single farming family will own it. Here, in Japan the farmer himself tilts. In the prestige-conscious BD, farmers will probably hire operators.
1653425308331.png

Last edited:

It is a good news that the machines will be produced/ assembled in BD. But, why it is only harvesters and not also power tillers that I see in the agriculture fields in Japan? Even Vietnam is producing this item.

WE have to ask a few BAL cronies for this because they will lose money as they import Tractors from China. I have seen in the villages that one family owns it and other people borrow it from that family to tilt their lands. Driver is also from the owner.

In the case of power tillers, every single farming family will own it. Here, in Japan the farmer himself tilts. In the prestige-conscious BD, farmers will probably hire operators.View attachment 847509
As always, you ask the probing questions.

You should be in parliament harassing the chetona cronies day and night 🤣🤣🤣

Wow!

@bluesky
@UKBengali
@Homo Sapiens
@Bilal9

Yanmar is also a very reputed marine engine manufacturer - at least it was once upon a time. Their outboard engines are very popular in the USA. If they can lower prices for their launch marine engines by assembling or even manufacturing locally, they'd find ready markets.

There are definite synergies between all lines of their business for many market sectors in Bangladesh.

Come to think of it, almost all Japanese two wheeler manufacturers, including Honda - make great reliable outboard engines for speedboats. All Japanese two wheeler manufacturers have assembly facilities for their two wheelers in Bangladesh.

Marine engines are a very prospective market in Bangladesh nowadays.....considering we have water and watercraft everywhere.

In the case of power tillers, every single farming family will own it. Here, in Japan the farmer himself tilts. In the prestige-conscious BD, farmers will probably hire operators.View attachment 847509

@bluesky bhai, power tillers have been assembled in Bangladesh from China CKD kits for at least four/five decades now. Power tillers are made by local companies from Chinese parts under their own name.

Only lately - there are spikes in demand for much more sophisticated items like small combine harvesters, whereby local assemblers are going into making some parts themselves.

ACI and Alim are the larger companies in this sector in Bangladesh.

ACI already does some very profitable business for Yanmar, marketing their harvesters locally. Volume is high enough that Yanmar wants to come in to invest to increase local sales volume further.

Alim has DaeDong from Korea as their combine harvester ToT partner. At some point Daedong will also set up assembly operations locally. No surprise there.

ACI power tiller - they offer a dozen different models and sizes, with task specific attachments
r-28.jpg

1234.jpg

28164640_2149949565143538_1883171856653852569_o.jpg

6c27a-1.-daedong-full-feed-ch_-p1.jpg

Last edited:
As always, you ask the probing questions.

You should be in parliament harassing the chetona cronies day and night 🤣🤣🤣
I only express my opinion that is not liked by many but I don't want to talk like a wasted teenager. About harvester. Is it not less required than the power tillers? And Yanmar or Kubota produce everything necessary agriculture equipment.

To me, producing harvester is like putting the cart before the horse. And I think something is fishy.

@bluesky bhai, power tillers have been assembled in Bangladesh from China CKD kits for at least four/five decades now. Power tillers are made by local companies from Chinese parts under their own name.
Most power tillers are assembled in Bogra but most factories are without much capital. The report below examines the present status. The production is only in a few hundreds.

Now, tell me where did you see farmers cultivating by power tillers? I have not seen any, not a single one although saw a few large tractors owned by a big farmer and leased by him. This is the reality. But, you are talking as if the entire country is tited with power tiller.

People of BD love to color many things and this is the reason the govt does not have the impetus to do things right.

To me, producing harvester is like putting the cart before the horse. And I think something is fishy.
Well farmers are gonna have to work hard and pull the cart in front of the horse, atleast for now. This is a private investment not a public one. So we can't force them to do anything now can we?

Most power tillers are assembled in Bogra but most factories are without much capital. The report below examines the present status. The production is only in a few hundreds.

Now, tell me where did you see farmers cultivating by power tillers? I have not seen any, not a single one although saw a few large tractors owned by a big farmer and leased by him. This is the reality. But, you are talking as if the entire country is tited with power tiller.

People of BD love to color many things and this is the reason the govt does not have the impetus to do things right.

@bluesky bhai, here are some statistics from 2016 time frame. Tilling using oxen is no longer practiced in most of Bangladesh. However tilling using tractors (even small tractors) is also not practiced because the farm plots are much smaller than even Pakistan and India. ‘scale-appropriate’ agricultural machinery is custom-designed for Bangladesh to be suitable for farmers’ small and fragmented landholdings, and to facilitate the conservation of agricultural resources. This makes two wheel tillers to be appropriate for Bangladesh use.
  • The average growth rate of power tiller usage in Bangladesh was 21.0 percent during 1993-2003.
  • Power tillers are unevenly distributed all over the country. The highest and the lowest adoption of power tillers were 44.4 and 3.6 percent in Rajshahi and Barisal divisions respectively. (probably due to traditional farmer mentality)
  • The percentage of area cultivated under power tiller is 69.6.

Obviously not all farmers own power tillers - they get the land tilled by subcontractors who own these tillers. If one tiller can till one owner's land per day, then these two wheel tillers service providers can till an area worth hundreds of square miles for hundreds of land owners and you don't need too many of them. Tillage services are performed at the start of the farming season and is provided as a service to substitute oxen.

Last edited:
The link says :
"Power tillers are unevenly distributed all over the country. The highest and the lowest adoption of power tillers were 44.4 and 3.6 percent in Rajshahi and Barisal divisions respectively. The percentage of area cultivated under power tiller is 69.6".

Here in Japan every farming house has more than two types of power tillers, a small miller to make rice out of paddy, and a small size harvester.

Tractors are used in BD, but seldom used in Japan because of smaller plots of land.

Someone was telling Yanmar is a private company and we cannot help if it chooses Harvesters and not power tillers. That is true.

However, considering the patriotism/ mindset of BD top guys, I can assure you this was decided by the political-bureaucratic clique in order to please the importers of Chinese/ indian tillers.

In BD, power tillers should have more uses than harvesters.

Bro, Bangladeshi farms are too small due to virtually every villager owning small plots.

We dispensed with feudalism unlike India and Pakistan.

Whilst this is egalitarian, it’s very inefficient. E.g. not suitable for proper mechanisation.

So we need smaller machines.

Bro, Bangladeshi farms are too small due to virtually every villager owning small plots.

We dispensed with feudalism unlike India and Pakistan.

Whilst this is egalitarian, it’s very inefficient. E.g. not suitable for proper mechanisation.

So we need smaller machines.
As far as I understand Japanese farm machines are much smaller than the machines in the USA. It is because the Japanese farmlands, unlike America, is fragmented into small pieces, just like it is in BD.

In my previous posts I was talking more in favor of building power tiller factories in the country, be it Japanese or others. Power tillers are good for small farm lands whereas tractors are good for America with large tracts of lands.

However, I have seen quite a number of large tractors in BD which are leased to small farmers with an operator.

And now, Yanmar wants to build a factory to produce Harvesters. Power tiller item is missing. But, harvesters are also a needed equipment when farm hands are less in number probably because many young men moved out to find jobs in other countries.

Back
Top Bottom