What's new

Jamaat men torch Hindu temple, houses in Noakhali

I am eagerly waiting for Khaleda Zia's press conference tomorrow.......it is a very important press conference. She might bring up India's involvement, lets see what route she decides to take. She has been advised to push India, let see if she takes the route...i cant discuss more.

Let's wait and see. One major disadvantage for the 85-90% majority of Bangladesh is that almost all media outlets are owned by BAL ministers and MPs, or affiliates. You can not expect them to relay a truthful picture of the press conference to the public.

Can we chat somewhere else? Shall I send you a PM if you don't mind?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks man.

Here, @Joe Shearer

Star Report
Lashing a déjà vu of 1971, Jamaat-Shibir fanatics yesterday wrecked havoc on the Hindu community across the country.

They damaged at least six temples, including one of Buddhists, and torched houses and business establishments of Hindu people in Noakhali, Gaibandha, Chittagong, Rangpur, Sylhet, Chapainawabganj and elsewhere in the country.

In Rajganj of Noakhali, Jamaat-Shibir men set ablaze a temple and eight houses of the Hindu community.

They also traded bullets with law enforcers in Datterhat under Sadar Police Station and in Rajganj under Begumganj Police Station, leaving two people killed. The deceased were identified as Khokon, 17, a pickup van assistant, and Liton (28), a fish monger, reports our Noakhali correspondent.

The Jamaat-Shibir men also looted a jewellery shop owned by one Biplob Sarkar at Chandraganj Purbo Bazar in Begumganj.

Witnesses and police said hours after top Jamaat leaders Delawar Hossain Sayedee had been sentenced to death, the marauding activists equipped with firearms, iron rods and kerosene set fire to Harishiva temple in Rajganj market area at 3:30pm.

"They returned an hour later. This time we were left with no choice but to flee the area, as they started torching our houses with kerosene," schoolteacher Shankar Chandra, who lost his house in the attack, told The Daily Star over the phone.

Some 50 Hindu people used to live in the houses burnt down, he said, adding that all but a few people had managed to escape to safety. Those left behind had been beaten up and kicked out of their houses by the Jamaat-Shibir attackers.

"We ran for our lives leaving everything behind. I was only seven during the Liberation War in 1971, but it didn't feel this insecure even then," said Shankar Chandra.

During the attack, the Jamaat-Shibir men also threatened newsmen to keep from covering the incident and took away cameras of photojournalists. They also forcefully picked up television crew Mohtasim Billah Sabuj. Locals later rescued Sabuj and took him to safety.

Assistant Police Superintendent (ASP) of Begumganj circle Mahbub Alam told The Daily Star that informed of the arson, police and firefighters had reached Rajganj around 5:00pm. Police had a hard time containing the violence in the area, as Jamaat-Shibir men had outnumbered the law enforcers.

When police tried to bring the situation under control, an exchange of gunshots between the attackers and law enforcers took place. Fish monger Liton died in the incident, said the ASP.

Almost at the same time, another group of Jamaat-Shibir men clashed and traded gunfire with police at Datterhat area leaving Khokon bullet-hit. He was declared dead when taken to Sadar hospital.

CHITTAGONG
Jamaat-Shibir men attacked two Hindu-majority localities at Jaldi union of Banshkhali upazila and set ablaze a Buddhist temple at Satkania upazila of the district yesterday.

They set fire to houses at Dhopapara and Mohajonpara of the union and attacked people with sticks, iron rods and sharp weapons, said Inspector Md Shahjahan of Banshkhali Police Station.

Two people had been critically wounded in the attack, said the inspector, adding that the injured had been undergoing treatment at upazila health complex.

Jamaat-Shibir men also set ablaze three shops belonging to Hindu people at Kaliaish union of Satkania upazila, said Additional Superintendent (South) Md Iltutmish of Chittagong Metropolitan Police.

GAIBANDHA
Rioters of Jamaat-e-Islami and student body Islamic Chhatra Shibir attacked a temple and business establishments belonging to Hindus at Bhelkobazar in Sundarganj upazila of the district yesterday afternoon.

Later in the evening, they swooped on and vandalised some houses in Shovaganj union.

Meanwhile, Hindu community leaders last night told The Daily Star that vandalism, arson and looting took place in temples, houses and business establishments of Hindu people in Sylhet, Rangpur, Thakurgaon, Laxmipur and Chapainawabganj.

According to them, attackers had vandalised the central Kali temple at Mithapukur upazila in Rangpur and another at Kansat in Chapainawabganj.

"We are observing the situation. So far we have heard they had attacked and vandalised temples, houses and business establishments of Hindu people at least in 10 districts," said Nirmal Chatterjee, secretary general of Dhaka Mahanagar Puja Committee.

"We have informed law enforcers of the situation and sought security to the Hindu community," he added.

@Joe Shearer, @Skallagrim,

I sincerely didn't notice that the thread title had changed. Anyway, in my opinion it shouldn't have been changed.
@madx, BDforever, I remember one of you posting a link with reports of attacks on several temples by Jamat activists.

Can you give Joe the link please?

Thank you.

Hindus under attack
6 temples, houses burnt outside Dhaka

2013-03-01__fr03.jpg

<i>Hindus under attack</i>

&#2472;&#2507;&#2527;&#2494;&#2454;&#2494;&#2482;&#2496;&#2468;&#2503; &#2478;&#2472;&#2509;&#2470;&#2495;&#2480;-&#2489;&#2495;&#2472;&#2509;&#2470;&#2497;&#2470;&#2503;&#2480; &#2476;&#2494;&#2524;&#2495;&#2468;&#2503; &#2460;&#2494;&#2478;&#2494;&#2527;&#2494;&#2468;&#2503;&#2480; &#2489;&#2494;&#2478;&#2482;&#2494;
http://bangla.bdnews24.com/banglades...e596688.bdnews

Your points are well made but somewhat misguided. Vigilance by an well informed polity is the only protection that democracy has. I am not proposing violent reaction or violence of any sort.

But conviction on the basis on political convinience does not bode well for any society. Descision of the court must by necessity be able to withstand scrutiny. ICT does not. Don't take my word.... See International Court of Justice concerns regarding the conduct and standard vis-a-vis ICT.

It's judgement are partisan and I fear the long term damage it will do the fabric of democracy and well being of BD.

Fair enough, but bear in mind that my remarks are general, not specific to the current situation prevailing in Bangladesh. If there has been a subversion of the judicial process, surely not just the Jamaat but civil society in general would rise in revolt. That does not seem to have happened.

No to "Joy Bangla" as I have nothing to do with Kolikata, by admitting that you do, you have also shown your true colours.

Nevertheless, you can not point to a single personal attack against you in my post. Crying foul running to Mods won't help.

The goal of "Shahbag circus" and "BAL" has always been the same, that is why BAL never attacked Shahbag circus, it does not take high IQ to figure that out. How can any intelligent adult fail to see that?

Don't ever talk about my intellectual level, which has been shown to be much higher than all "Kolikatan agents" in history.

wow. What are you doing here? Apply for mensa

I do believe in Hindus need more protection now from Shibir violence as well as AL false flagers.

I don't need your advice. Who told you whether I am a member of Mensa (the easiest such 'club' for membership) or not?

On my ignore list.

Yup easier to chicken out. You are as far into eating your own words as a hungry man eating alphabet soup. Mensa indeed. I am glad you put me on your ignore list.

PS I put pen to paper just to rile you for time pass, else I would have been scratching my ba**s instead.

Just knowing that some bharti will lose his sleep over my comments is more than enough for me. :D

Dear RAZPAK

I apologise in advance if any offence is taken.

If the picture in your Avatar(Sanskrit word) is yourself in youth, or a family member.

I am fairly good with faces and that child seems to look like a Dogra(just my opinion). Genes are strong.

If it is the case and I am not mistaken you are maybe from Sialkot or surrounding regions.

If I am wrong then sorry. But the picture speaks a thousand words.

Sorry to be off topic. And no intention to offend anyone.

We can continue our otherwise online battle :D

Naokhali is the place where more than 10000 Hindus were killed and number of temples destroyed in less than a week, by Islamic terrorists, on the call of supreme leader of the land of pure. That was a pre independence event and poor Hindus are suffering to date there..

Back
Top Bottom