What's new

Jain community opposes naming nuke submarine INS Arihant

EjazR

Reaction score
Jain community opposes naming nuke submarine INS Arihant

Bangalore: Members of the Akhil Bhartiya Shree Jain Swetamber Murtipujak Yuvak Mahasangh today took strong exception to naming the Nuclear Submarine commissioned by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at Visakhapatnam recently as 'INS Arihant'.

Seeking Karnataka Governor Hansraj Bharadwaj's intervention, in a letter, Mahasangh Vice President Devkumar K Jain said, ''We are highly perturbed since the Submarine has been named after one of the important Jain Teerthankaras (Gods) whom we hold in a very high esteem.'' '''Arihant' is the very foundation of our Jain Philosophy and our Navkar Mantra begins with it. In Sanskrit, Arihant means a destroyer of enemies. In Jainism, the word Arihant has a very profound meaning-the destroyer of the inner enemies like greed, lust and anger,'' he added.

''Knowingly or unknowingly, the Union Government has committed a serious blunder by naming the Submarine as Arihant and this has hurt the sentiments of our community at large. Jainism strongly believes in the philosophy of Ahimsa and consequently a Nuclear Destroyer cannot be named after one of our Religious Supremo God,'' he charged.

Mr Jain informed the Jain community in Karnataka has launched a signature campaign to register its protest and also plans to call on President Prathibha Devsingh Patil and seek her intervention.

He said, ''We fully appreciate the Goverment's move to commission a Nuclear Submarine in safeguarding the interests of the country and we have nothing against the programme of the Indian Navy to develop and deploy warships including the submarine.''

what is this crap :(...stop the troll man....where are u man....inside some jain ......or defense website..........this is truly unprofessional to post such kind of crap.............................we are here not watchin TV...to hear some news....from you...cut it out man......what u want to discuss on this....crap

mods..pls look into this...people just posting like jounalist here...:

what is this crap :(...stop the troll man....where are u man....inside some jain ......or defense website..........this is truly unprofessional to post such kind of crap.............................we are here not watchin TV...to hear some news....from you...cut it out man...

Chillax man.

@ EjazR, Seriously the Jains have started this now? "Arihant" is an old Sanskrit word, much older than Jainism itself. Its like the Israelis wanting to ban the Hindu Swastika in India! LOL

btw, I got a t-shirt with a Hindu swastika on it and whenever I wear it here in US I do get strange glances! Hahaha. Some even come up to me and ask me what its about and when I tell them that its an ancient Aryan/Hindu auspicious symbol, they are convinced!

Useless thread. :tdown:

Reported.

what is this crap :(...stop the troll man....where are u man....inside some jain ......or defense website..........this is truly unprofessional to post such kind of crap.............................we are here not watchin TV...to hear some news....from you...cut it out man......what u want to discuss on this....crap

Nothing wrong with posting this. Atleast we learn about different beliefs and what they think.

Thank you ejaz for posting i have learnt the other meaning of Arihant as well and what Arihant is.

Chillax man.

@ EjazR, Seriously the Jains have started this now? "Arihant" is an old Sanskrit word, much older than Jainism itself. Its like the Israelis wanting to ban the Hindu Swastika in India! LOL

btw, I got a t-shirt with a Hindu swastika on it and whenever I wear it here in US I do get strange glances! Hahaha. Some even come up to me and ask me what its about and when I tell them that its an ancient Aryan/Hindu auspicious symbol, they are convinced!

LOL i have the swastik sign on my car and once a German couple commented that i must be a Hitlers fan .

Jain is known for Non-Violence and clearly war ships are opposed to their beliefs.

eh what is wrong with Hitler.

Nothing much actually.
Its only that, he was responsible for MURDERING a few million people because they followed a particular faith, and another few million because he deemed them useless in his "grand scheme of things".

Seriously Jana? Or was it tongue-in-cheek?

eh what is wrong with Hitler.

May be because of the fact that usage of swastika, its public display is a taboo in German society and it is illegal and punishable.

Only the swastika signs on the temples of Hindu and jains are exempted.

Nothing much actually.
Its only that, he was responsible for MURDERING a few million people because they followed a particular faith, and another few million because he deemed them useless in his "grand scheme of things".

Seriously Jana? Or was it tongue-in-cheek?

I am more interested in commanding skills. I believe the person who leads you should be a strict leader viz viz his command and other administrative skills.

On the other hand I disapprove his genocide of innocent people which he committed.

The current day US forces are no different than Hitler.

Jain is known for Non-Violence and clearly war ships are opposed to their beliefs.

Was Buddha an advocate of destruction? Still we named our first nuclear test after him, didn't we? The government had no intention of hurting the Jain community & everybody should be smart enough to understand that. Let us just stop bringing religion into every tiny aspect of our lives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom