What's new

J-10C for PAF - Hypothetical Scenario

I wonder how does this equation go between JF17 and J10s.

I wonder how does this equation go between JF17 and J10s.

Hi-Low Mix I presume. Thankfully there looks to be enough Block 3 orders from the PAF and foreign customers, that the Air Force could presumably procure its Block 3 birds and then shift to procuring more J-10s and the facilities to maintain and rebuild them, while making JF-17 for foreign customers, which would partially finance the J-10 procurements and facilities upgrades.

Once each JF-17 needs an MLU, they (PAF and Foreign operators) could go back to Kamra and get rebuilt to the latest structural standards like the F-16s SLEP, and the engine improved with the latest parts, and avionics upgraded, etc. etc. etc. all this creating an industry that creates business and jobs for decades to come.

Last edited:
Probably the Chinese are only selling PL 15 to PAF with J-10.
That may be the only reason to buy J 10.
Otherwise thunder Block 3 was enough.

Some rumors floating about J10's coming to Pakistan end of year

Well we are literally end of year

Probably the Chinese are only selling PL 15 to PAF with J-10.
That may be the only reason to buy J 10.
Otherwise thunder Block 3 was enough.
I think the issue is more complex which is the weight and the size of the PL-15. We have to keep persistence in the air in mind when considering the potential employment scenarios. We launch JF-17s with 2 PL15s and possibly 2 WVR AAMs, whereas the other side gets to employ a bigger platform with far more BVR missiles. For an effective package, PAF needs to possibly add a bigger platform such as J-10 specifically so they can provide more BVR options to be exploited at the full range afforded by the missiles which means a bigger radar in the nose cone etc. possibly which won't happen in the JF-17 on amount of its MTOW and nose cone real estate.

While I was not expecting J-10s to be acquired, but they may offer Pakistan more employment options beyond the F-16s and in conjunction with the JF-17s.

I think the issue is more complex which is the weight and the size of the PL-15. We have to keep persistence in the air in mind when considering the potential employment scenarios. We launch JF-17s with 2 PL15s and possibly 2 WVR AAMs, whereas the other side gets to employ a bigger platform with far more BVR missiles. For an effective package, PAF needs to possibly add a bigger platform such as J-10 specifically so they can provide more BVR options to be exploited at the full range afforded by the missiles which means a bigger radar in the nose cone etc. possibly which won't happen in the JF-17 on amount of its MTOW and nose cone real estate.

While I was not expecting J-10s to be acquired, but they may offer Pakistan more employment options beyond the F-16s and in conjunction with the JF-17s.
Replacement for the F-16 is needed. Upgrades and newer munitions will not be offered to Pakistan by USA. JF-17 can not completely fill the F-16's profile. Plus J-10 comes with Chinese industrial capacity and military spending behind it.

Replacement for the F-16 is needed. Upgrades and newer munitions will not be offered to Pakistan by USA. JF-17 can not completely fill the F-16's profile. Plus J-10 comes with Chinese industrial capacity and military spending behind it.
I agree, those could be other reasons but none of the F-16s will get replaced before 2040. That is a long time ahead and I would not even be surprised if PAF acquired surplus F-16s if given an opportunity.

I agree, those could be other reasons but none of the F-16s will get replaced before 2040. That is a long time ahead and I would not even be surprised if PAF acquired surplus F-16s if given an opportunity.
F-16 is a stranded asset for the PAF. It should continue to fly but shouldn't be expected to lead the fight. Don't under estimate the J-10C. PAF commanders had a good look at its capabilities in recent joint air exercises with the PLAAF. They liked what the saw so pulled the trigger on acquiring it.

Back
Top Bottom