What's new

It is confirmed Sri Lanka Air Force to buy JF-17s

so basically take your word on it is what you are saying. even when your own air force says that they are there to replace mid level fighters . even when you see only down range countries buying it . even when article from just an year ago states it.

I'm not saying take my word for it, i'm saying take PAF's word for it (understandably, that might be hard for you).

The JF-17 is replacing fighters which have reached their end of life. That's how airforces work. They don't replace fighters with life (capabilities, airworthiness, etc) still in them.

Okay- as I said India or any adversary will be happy if their adversary relies on these as the backbone of their air force. again are supposedly so superior and or soo good that the Chinese don't want it themselves. There is plenty of good data on it's weapons packages, engines but not on the EW suite- at one point pakistan was hoping for international EW package on it but I guess that did not work out and then went back to the Chinese one( why look for an international one if the Chinese was not up to par ?). oh well..

Keep underestimating the JF-17. I've already explained to you why the Chinese haven't inducted it.
Several members (mods and TTs) have already said the EW/radar package is very good, so i'll take their word.

So do you think buddhists(SL) will supports India rather than china? if you have sense(I think something u have) after setback of LTTE in 2008 whose influence dramatically increased in SL tell me India or China?. Now who is the looser? , now SL gng to buy this aircraft against whom? how many countries sharing SL borders? next they will buy missiles , SL arise is the threat to Indian security for sure. EU formula won't work in asian countries.

Why should we support India? India is just another country to us. Sri Lanka should focus on its future taking advantages of the countries who has better progress and capabilities. India is decades behind China, also India will not show sufficient improvement in next decade compared to China, so right option is give more priority to China at this moment take the advantage and convert it to future of SL.

Not only China, SL should more focus on better performing countries such as Indonesia, Thailand.

Why should we support India? India is just another country to us. Sri Lanka should focus on its future taking advantages of the countries who has better progress and capabilities. India is decades behind China, also India will not show sufficient improvement in next decade compared to China, so right option is give more priority to China at this moment take the advantage and convert it to future of SL.

Not only China, SL should more focus on better performing countries such as Indonesia, Thailand.

India may be a decade behind China not decades!!!
And we are improving...On what parameter does thailand or Indonesia does better???

Question: I have not been keeping up much with JF-17

In a 2011 article defenseindustrydaily.com had an article on this stating that

1. This aircraft was replacing Pakistan and China to replace Chinese A-5C (massively modified MiG-19), F-7P (MiG-21+), and French Mirage 3/5 aircraft in Pakistan’s fleet.

2. It’s a comparable peer for India’s still-under-development LCA Tejas,

3. giving the aircraft an engine that is reliable and widely used, but known to leave smoke trails

4. China itself was not keen to induct wholeheartedly into their own air force ( have they now accepted it in large numbers or just a token show?)

5. That pakistan was looking for international partners of electronic and weapons package. ( did this happen?)

The smoke issue was addressed in later engines

Congrats..........!!!
jf-17 block 1 or block 2.......??

BLK II will soon be announced, so Sri Lankans would probably choose BLK II, exactly what Egypt and Azerbaijan is waiting for

Excellent. India should fund this small buy for Sri Lanka. One we know the Radar frequency, EW capacity etc......:toast_sign:

^^ Umm, all the specs will be put on PAF website anyways.

And you think SLAF will even let a Indian touch its jets? Do you want me to remind you what happened to Indian terror group LTTE?

Politically & strategically - this is not going to happen ( unless SL & India 's relations are so bad)

No body can undermine JF17 or over rate it , it is a good aircraft with standard features and equipments that can fully satisfy SL

This will be just a bargain point for SL to get a softloan to buy Russian jets

The supply of arms and ammo to SL Army by Pakistan is no secret, however it's also worth noting that PAF has been training SLAF pilots for over a decade not to mention overhauling it's F-7s by the PAC...thus the transition of JF-17s will none the less be overseen by PAF personal. :D

The four Pakistan Air Force instructor pilots who were assisting in the training of SLAF students commenced their work on July 27, 2001, just two days after the attack. As they taxied out on their first mission that day, they went past three burnt out K-8 hulks. The PAF instructors had been seconded to the SLAF for 18 months, but due to an increased threat from India and the build up of their troops on Pakistan’s border the pilots were subsequently posted back to their units by mid-2002. Unfortunately, one of them, Sqn Ldr Niswan, was subsequently killed in a Mirage crash in 2003. A Pakistan flag flies along with Chinese and Sri Lankan flags outside the CO’s
office as a tribute to those countries that assisted in the creation of the unit. Three replacement K-8s were delivered in 2005 and today 14 Squadron is on the verge of moving to China Bay, where all the SLAF flying training will be consolidated. This will help to ease the air traffic worries at SriLanka’s international airport

Back
Top Bottom