What's new

It is confirmed Sri Lanka Air Force to buy JF-17s

That is a lie. LTTE never owned any sky. The problem was how to shoot down the slow moving Zlin 143 at night without the need of AAA.

okay. but do you agree that no 6 aircrafts are ordered with India in mind?

makes perfect sense. sri lanka will not be engaging in air combat with anyone, so the jf17 is the best solution. SLAAF is an AF just by name.
cost is the main issue here people. i cannot think of a cheaper multirole fighter.

okay. but do you agree that no 6 aircrafts are ordered with India in mind?

I guess so. But if SL is ever going to tackle India down in the southern waters, SL need a powerful air defense system first. :undecided:

We are to politically correct and weak-willed of a nation. It's time we sanction our neighbours. We must exert our dominance over them or else we are compromising national security.

Dude! Sri Lanka can buy anything from any one, its their decision.

I guess so. But if SL is ever going to tackle India down in the southern waters, SL need a powerful air defense system first. :undecided:

there is no air defense or any tackling issue.

for one there is nothing on the horizon I can see unless SL allows a foreign body naval base ala bay of pigs situation
and two- no air defense is going to help you out with the size of India's military vs your land mass and your military. I'm speaking militarily and not chest thumping.

lets for fun assume India and SL go to war.
you propose SL air defence in form of SAMs. (because the planes dont stand a chance) This creates losses during Indias fighter sweeps and bombing raids. but you forget that multirole a/c are designed to destroy this kind of threat. then there are the cruise missiles. then there are the indian satellites that track down the SAM sites and gives the cordinates to the navy ships.
There are a few of countries that can militarily "taclke" India. Lanka is not on of them

there is no air defense or any tackling issue.

for one there is nothing on the horizon I can see unless SL allows a foreign body naval base ala bay of pigs situation
and two- no air defense is going to help you out with the size of India's military vs your land mass and your military. I'm speaking militarily and not chest thumping.

I do believe for SL 1-2 S-300 or S-400 system + some panitsers and tunguskas could deny the airspace for intruding aircraft. But sustaining the war is questionable.

lets for fun assume India and SL go to war.
you propose SL air defence in form of SAMs. (because the planes dont stand a chance) This creates losses during Indias fighter sweeps and bombing raids. but you forget that multirole a/c are designed to destroy this kind of threat. then there are the cruise missiles. then there are the indian satellites that track down the SAM sites and gives the cordinates to the navy ships.
There are a few of countries that can militarily "taclke" India. Lanka is not on of them

Well I believe the shoot and scoot tactics will work against any modern tech war machines. This has proven in second Gulf war and in former Yugoslavia. BTW the advent of modern air defence system like the panitser could make cruise missile attacks problematic.

Didn't expect this crappy comment from you, being a 'JR THINK TANK'. Old habits die hard, what? :P

It's a good thing that BD is going in for up-gradation of its air force, though SU-30s would have been a better option. I think what clinched the deal was the price tag.

From what i have read about the SL Air Force, they don't have the trained manpower and neither the capacity to absorb a machine like the SU30's. Buying an aircraft is not the problem, its integrating it with your doctrine and employing it to its fullest potential which is the problem. SU30 is too complicated off a machine for the likes of SL Air Force to absorb. I don't mean to cause any disrespect, but SL Air Force is still at its infancy stage. Although the JF17 would serve as an excellent transition aircraft for the SU30. A SL pilot with atleast 500 hours on the JF17 would have no problems converging into SU30.

@Topic. Good News if true but not possible for at-least 5 years. All of JF17's production capacity is geared up to meeting up the domestic needs of PAF. There is no way they fulfill additional orders of a foreign customer. This is the reason why orders for Azerbaijan and Zimbabwe have been held up.

@Topic. Good News if true but not possible for at-least 5 years. All of JF17's production capacity is geared up to meeting up the domestic needs of PAF. There is no way they fulfill additional orders of a foreign customer. This is the reason why orders for Azerbaijan and Zimbabwe have been held up.

Is there any chance that SLAF could assemble the JF-17 in SL?

I do believe for SL 1-2 S-300 or S-400 system + some panitsers and tunguskas could deny the airspace for intruding aircraft. But sustaining the war is questionable.

not for long, those targets can be simply taken out from India itself... too close to India ( proximity), don't even have fly in to destroy the defenses

From what i have read about the SL Air Force, they don't have the trained manpower and neither the capacity to absorb a machine like the SU30's. Buying an aircraft is not the problem, its integrating it with your doctrine and employing it to its fullest potential which is the problem. SU30 is too complicated off a machine for the likes of SL Air Force to absorb. I don't mean to cause any disrespect, but SL Air Force is still at its infancy stage. Although the JF17 would serve as an excellent transition aircraft for the SU30. A SL pilot with atleast 500 hours on the JF17 would have no problems converging into SU30.

your statement of "transitioning" from jf17 to su30 makes no sense. the basic principle of operating a jet fighter,jf17, su30 or kafir, is the same and SLAAF has been operating them for a while. like i said, the deciding factor is the cost because there is no threat to counter

Is there any chance that SLAF could assemble the JF-17 in SL?

PAF would be happy to provide an additional assembly line, but the problem is the order is too low on the SL side. Before the revolution in Egypt, they were planning to setup an assembly line but they were planning to add numbers in triple digits. The problem is that capacity cannot be ramped up fast enough because all of China's facilities are geared up towards J10, J11 and 5th Generation Solutions.

In my opinion, the JF17 is an ideal choice for SL. It provides them an excellent platform that can carry out Air Defence with very potent WVR and BVR capabilities. On top of that, it enables SL Air Force to carry out precision strikes and if need arises launch precision stand off weapons at static or moving targets. At the end of the day, it matters what the threat perception is? If the threat perception is stopping an onslaught from the Indian Air Force, than SL Air Defence infrastructure falls woefully short. IAF is one fierce and well trained enemy, you need a well established infrastructure to fight the likes of them.

your statement of "transitioning" from jf17 to su30 makes no sense.

Whatever you say :), Air Forces have been using this strategy for decades but i guess you are privy to more information than Professional Air Forces are. Unless you have a top class trained aircraft, you don't just jump from a Kfir into a SU30.

Back
Top Bottom