What's new

Israel loses eight billion dollars and Arab parties join the boycott

Falcon29

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Israel loses eight billion dollars and Arab parties join the boycott

Mustafa Barghouti, the secretary-general of the Palestinian National Initiative movement, has estimated that Israel has incurred losses of around eight billion dollars due to the boycott campaign against illegal settlements, equivalent to 20 per cent of their GDP.

Regarding the latest Palestinian efforts to escalate the settlement boycott, Barghouti revealed that an agreement has been made with 13 democratic Arab parties to form boycott committees in the Arab world.

In a statement to Quds Net News Agency on Thursday he said: "the European Union did not issue a decision to boycott Israel, but what is taking place is the boycott of any relationship or agreements with settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem."

Furthermore: "This experience is being circulated worldwide and not only in European countries; many areas worldwide are also ready to boycott the settlements."

The agreement with the Arab parties to participate in the boycott campaign came after the participation of a delegation from the Palestinian National Initiative movement headed by Barghouti, along with a delegation from Fatah, headed by Nabil Shaath in the Arab Social Democratic Forum. It was held in Amman, Jordan, over two days and ended Wednesday.

The draft resolution put forward by the Palestinian National Initiative regarding Jerusalem was agreed upon unanimously, along with a mass movement of boycott and sanctions against Israel and the decision to support the Palestinian popular resistance and the struggle for justice for Palestinians against the occupation and the settlements.

The delegates called upon the people of the Arab world and its friends to adopt a strategy for boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) against Israel until it ends its discriminatory, unjust occupation.

It is expected that the Human Rights Council of the UN in Geneva will vote on Thursday and Friday on five resolutions condemning Israel. These include a resolution calling to encourage boycotting Israeli settlements and cutting all investments with them. Meanwhile, Israeli diplomacy has not taken any direct action to curb these decisions and is busy dealing with strikes in their international embassies and consulates.

A senior Israeli official said that the proposal for the resolution calling for a boycott of the settlements is creating tension and anxiety in Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office. Having realised that Israeli diplomacy is completely paralysed due to the strikes, they quickly decided to assign a special envoy to Geneva. Meanwhile the Israeli vice-president of the National Security Council, Aaron Larmon, was expected to arrive on Wednesday but a last minute decision was taken to cancel the visit after officials in the Prime Minister's office realised that they would not be able to influence the formulation of decisions looming in Geneva.

The draft resolution in the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva was based on the proposition made by a group of Arab states in the Human Rights Council, including the Palestinian Authority, and is entitled Israeli settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories and East Jerusalem and the Golan Heights. The proposed draft resolution, which will be voted upon, is the first of its kind to condemn Israel in UN Human Rights Council resolutions.

Nice work BDS! Keep it up!

Mustafa Barghouti, the secretary-general of the Palestinian National Initiative movement, has estimated that Israel has incurred losses of around eight billion dollars due to the boycott campaign against illegal settlements, equivalent to 20 per cent of their GDP.

$8B is 20% of $243B.

Who knew?

$8B is 20% of $243B.

Who knew?

Thats probably not what was meant.
They are saying 8 billion dollars have been lost because of boycott of settlements in West Bank, which otherwise make up 20% (the ENTIRE settlement enterprise) of Israels GDP. So they are speaking in general terms that the settlements make up 20 % of the GDP.
Obviously not all the settlement have been boycotted but at least 8 billion dollars have

$8B is 20% of $243B.

Who knew?

I don't know how he came up with that calculation, he must of meant something else. The BDS movement is still a relieving development. For people that support peace for both sides it's best to boycott settlements.

They are saying 8 billion dollars have been lost because of boycott of settlements in West Bank, which otherwise make up 20% (the ENTIRE settlement enterprise) of Israels GDP. So they are speaking in general terms that the settlements make up 20 % of the GDP.
Obviously not all the settlement have been boycotted but at least 8 billion dollars have

You're a genius, I think you got it right. :)

You are absolutely right, they're not saying the loss is 20%, their saying settlements are equivalent to 20%.

The Israelis and other right wing Jewish sites are going crazy over the BDS movement, they're trying to play every card in the book to suppress movements that act against crimes of humanity. Of course, Israelis and some Indians support these crimes against humanity.

I know not to hold that against all Indians, because many do not support Israeli settlements. This is not a boycott against the state of Israel, this is a boycott against crimes against humanity in Palestinian occupied territory. People that express frustration over this are certified criminals.

These Indians support both sides but stand against illegal settlements which all of the world even the Bush administration had stood against:

@levina @Ravi Nair and others whom I will look for their names.

Now they won't respond because they jumped the gun trying to make a multinational effort look stupid but they're the stupid ones. :D

If they're still in denial I'm going to report those two سگ ماده :D

Most probably you are the stupid one to think BDS is relevant, they have no power.

Most probably you are the stupid one to think BDS is relevant, they have no power.

If they have no power you wouldn't be spending the time to tell me that here. :lol:

The movement against the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory is growing around the world every day. This is why if you google 'bds movement', click on the 'news' tab you will see many right wing sites and Israeli sites trying to tarnish their image and accuse them of being anti Semitic which is laughable to say the least.

Here are Australians who boycott settlements proudly :) :

Are you reading the same thing as me?

GDP of all Palestinian territories is $10B. (Palestine Central Bureau of Statistics, 2012)

Am I missing something? Is $8B, 20% of $10B. I'm lost.

Are you reading the same thing as me?

GDP of all Palestinian territories is $10B. (Palestine Central Bureau of Statistics, 2012)

Am I missing something? Is $8B, 20% of $10B. I'm lost.
The article talks about the palestinian territories occupied by israel dude

U need to focus:p

You may want to look into the world wide civil society boycott movement that brought down the apartheid in white-ruled South Africa.
BDS is real and is growing day by day.

These Indians support both sides but stand against illegal settlements which all of the world even the Bush administration had stood against:

@levina @Ravi Nair and others whom I will look for their names.
Hey thanks Hazzyy.
Finally Israel feels the pinch :)
Lil more sleuthing helped me find this
"The primary damage of the boycott to the Israeli economy is that it prevents or considerably hampers investments in the country. That loss is estimated to be on the order of $500 to $600 million per year. The loss of potential trade with the Arab countries alone is on the order of over $500 million per year. It is estimated that because of the boycott, Israel's commercial exports are at least 10% less than they would otherwise be — a loss of about $1.2 billion per year. Another parameter is the ratio of exports by foreign or multinational companies to total exports. In a small country such as Belgium, for instance, that ratio is 35%. In Ireland it's 42%. Since owning a factory or having an investment in Israel is a violation of the boycott, Israel's ratio, despite the high quality of its goods, is only 1%!"

Back
Top Bottom