What's new

Is Urdu under threat?

Do you guys think that Classic Urdu is under threat of extinction?

I recently saw a movie called in In Custody/Muhafiz (1993) by Ismail Merchant ( it's on youtube, can someone post it?)

what a beautiful, yet very sad film! showing the death of Urdu language in India and it being replaced by Hindi every where

It's a must watch movie! because it shows the death of Urdu, as well as the classic muslim culture of the subcontinent

do you think this is also happening in Pakistan?

To us language is just a tool we use to communicate. Urdu was formed when Muslim armies, comprising of different nations,civilizations, races, ethnicities, came to our region. People spoke different languages, so the mixture of those languages came to be known as Urdu. In Pakistan, we like Urdu for its flexibility and has chosen it as our national language so we can communicate with each other on a national level. we still have our regional languages, the four major ones being, Pushto, Punjabi, Sindhi Balochi. Urdu is a language which can evolve and that is the beauty of it. Many English words are entering in to Urdu as it evolves.but we have not integrated our regional languages into Urdu yet though. Majority of Pakistanis speak Urdu now along with their regional languages. In a way, majority of our population is bi lingual. Add in, English, we become tri-lingual.

Urdu derives a lot of its vocabulary from Arabic and Persian. In our education system both Arabic and Persians can be selected as a subject for social science students from Matriculation to Masters, to PHD level.

Is Urdu under threat in Pakistan? I don't think so, if anything it is expanding quite rapidly.

My personal example would be, my mother's first language is punjabi, but for me, my first language is Urdu. I rarely speak Punjabi.

As for Muslim "culture" that is a whole different subject. Us Muslims have certain values which we agree upon, e.g marriage,. But how do we celebrate a marriage? such celebrations can vary from culture to culture, e.g Pakistani Muslims would celebrate Marriage in a different way than Chinese Muslims would Etc.

Urdu was imposed on us casually. Seriously speaking it has no origin, history and culture in Pakistan. Lots of people back in the day spoke Farsi/Dari and at homes, the local Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashto, Kashmiri, Balochi etc.

Indeed. All the regional languages existed + Farsi which was the lingua franca (meaning the language people used when conversing with somebody who did not speak their native tounge). Farsi was however banned by the British when they took over Pakistan (probably to lessen the means of communication between Pakistan and its neighbours to the West whom the British were not able to conquer). Instead Urdu was encouraged bringing Pakistan closer to its neighbours to the East.
On topic, no Urdu is not a dying language in Pakistan. Rather the opposite is true especially in Punjab.

Indeed. All the regional languages existed + Farsi which was the lingua franca (meaning the language people used when conversing with somebody who did not speak their native tounge). Farsi was however banned by the British when they took over Pakistan (probably to lessen the means of communication between Pakistan and its neighbours to the West whom the British were not able to conquer). Instead Urdu was encouraged bringing Pakistan closer to its neighbours to the East.
On topic, no Urdu is not a dying language in Pakistan. Rather the opposite is true especially in Punjab.

That's quite interesting. I know Persian was spoken in Lahore till the British came and systematically took it out of our institutions and replaced it with English, but I never thought of it that way before, to separate us from our western region and align us more towards our east...

Do you guys think that Classic Urdu is under threat of extinction?

I recently saw a movie called in In Custody/Muhafiz (1993) by Ismail Merchant ( it's on youtube, can someone post it?)

what a beautiful, yet very sad film! showing the death of Urdu language in India and it being replaced by Hindi every where

It's a must watch movie! because it shows the death of Urdu, as well as the classic muslim culture of the subcontinent

do you think this is also happening in Pakistan?

Opposite, local languages are considered "paindu" when compared to English or Urdu, what is muslim culture? :undecided:

pakistani punjabis are very broad minded people.can any indian or any person in this world even for a moment think of not even having his native tongue as a subject in his school?govts fall,civil wars break out if any govt even entertains such thoughts.the magnanimity of pak punjabis doesnt just end there.they even adopted urdu and gave it the royal status.they are so large hearted tht they dont even encourage news papers or television channels in their lang.the entire world needs to take inspirationfrm thm

on a serious note any society which does not respect its native tongue will lose its identity and culture and eventually perish.

Pakistani Punjabi is NOT ONLY Broad-minded when it comes to URDU, They also have made the MOST contribution to Urdu language as most of the Urdu Poets and writers are Punjabis and NOT native Urdu speakers.

I don't get this topic. Why URDU should feel threatened by other languages(local or international) ? I like all native languages of Pakistan as they bring diversity to our country and culture. Urdu is national language which provide medium of communication between different ethnicities of Pakistan. If you look at languages like this then even our national poet Dr Allama Iqbal wrote most of his poetry in farsi which is unknown language for most pakistani

URDU and HINDI

Urdu is often contrasted with Hindi. Apart from religious associations, the differences are largely restricted to the standard forms: Standard Urdu is conventionally written in the Nastaliq style of the Persian alphabet and relies heavily on Persian and Arabic as a source for technical and literary vocabulary,whereas Standard Hindi is conventionally written in Devanāgarī and draws on Sanskrit. However, both have large numbers of Arabic, Persian and Sanskrit words, and most linguists consider them to be two standardized forms of the same language,and consider the differences to be sociolinguistic,though a few classify them separately. Mutual intelligibility decreases in literary and specialized contexts which rely on educated vocabulary. Further, it is quite easy in a longer conversation to distinguish differences in vocabulary and pronunciation of some Urdu phonemes. Due to religious nationalism since the partition of British India and continued communal tensions, native speakers of both Hindi and Urdu frequently assert them to be distinct languages, despite the numerous similarities between the two in a colloquial setting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi-Urdu_controversy

The main threat to Urdu is the threat common to all non-Roman alphabet languages - the increasing influence of the Internet on searchable archives. The spoken language is safe for now given the number of speakers, but as more and more information moves on to the Internet, its archives will fall further behind other languages. Over a few decades this trend can spell trouble for Urdu.

pakistani punjabis are very broad minded people.can any indian or any person in this world even for a moment think of not even having his native tongue as a subject in his school?govts fall,civil wars break out if any govt even entertains such thoughts.the magnanimity of pak punjabis doesnt just end there.they even adopted urdu and gave it the royal status.they are so large hearted tht they dont even encourage news papers or television channels in their lang.the entire world needs to take inspirationfrm thm

on a serious note any society which does not respect its native tongue will lose its identity and culture and eventually perish.

Not having a common language is a curse. If adopting urdu means unifying the entire nation on cost of punjabi then so be it. Urdu and English are enough for our survival. TBH south asians are a unique case for getting stuck to ancient languages rather than progressing with time. English is a simple language so it will take over with time.

Back
Top Bottom