What's new

Is Urdu under threat?

Look @ idiots on this thread. Instead of loving their national language they are developing another 'reason' for the division of people of Pakistan.

Perhaps that is now the only solution to the problem? Divide Pakistan and end this sour dream?
Maybe the people have spoken?

Because they cant seem to get by without insulting each other , or finding problems with each other.. and have less and less common reasons to be together. Why bother anymore then?

I heard that Indian TV channels and movies have started putting Hindi words in the Urdu lexicon over there as well ?

Yes it has. Classical urdu for example has the word "khwab" for dream as it comes from Persian.. However, most of Pakistani youth and newer generations especially from Urban Karachi to households where Indian soaps are common; now use "Sapna"...and many other taints.
Its basically a loss of culture more than anything else.

Yes it has. Classical urdu for example has the word "khwab" for dream as it comes from Persian.. However, most of Pakistani youth and newer generations especially from Urban Karachi to households where Indian soaps are common; now use "Sapna"...and many other taints.

You do realize that most of us cringe at the mere mention of a Hindi Word & look on incredulously but then again the naysayers go - Extremist....Jingoist....Hater & what not ! :cray:

Hindi is a sh!t language as compared to superior Urdu...

My country, my language, my religion is great and everyone else is just sh! t. People who do not know how to talk respectfully should least talk about beauty of language.

The famous identity crisis. ;)

Urdu should evolve using languages that have something to offer, but hindi is like a devolution

I have a strong temptation to show that burning middle finger.

But let's just say: "Begaani shaadi me Abdullah diwana".

What language we use has nothing to do with you.

And we couldn't care less what language you used in your country.

The famous identity crisis. ;)

I have a strong temptation to show that burning middle finger.

But let's just say: "Begaani shaadi me Abdullah diwana".

What language we use has nothing to do with you.

And we couldn't care less what language you used in your country.

Why are you so nosy? But let's rather say: "Bin bulaye mehman".
And I have no ******* idea what begaani means? Eggplant marriage wtf?

You do realize that most of us cringe at the mere mention of a Hindi Word & look on incredulously but then again the naysayers go - Extremist....Jingoist....Hater & what not ! :cray:

Don't use them.

Anyway, Urdu has just mixed about 1500 words from Farsi/Arabic into 60,000 Hindi words which were pre-existing.

As far as we are concerned, if you stop using those words, the language remains the same.

You are free to think differently and for you that 2.5% may be more important.

But you anyway will end up cringing 97.5 % of the time unless you start speaking pure Persian or Arabic.

Look @ idiots on this thread. Instead of loving their national language they are developing another 'reason' for the division of people of Pakistan.

Perhaps that is now the only solution to the problem? Divide Pakistan and end this sour dream?

Because they cant seem to get by without insulting each other , or finding problems with each other.. and have less and less common reasons to be together. Why bother anymore then?
Oh please.
You two are over reacting.

You ought to take a look at the Tamils and Bengalis one day.
There are religious chauvinists, there are cultural chauvisnists, there are ethno chauvinists...then there are linguistic chauvinists.

The Tamils and Bengalis wont waste a second to tell you how their language is the very best of the best and they spit on Hindi or English :lol:

Doesnt mean they want to break up .

"Classic Urdu" as mentioned, is a khichdi with 97.5 % Hindi daal and 2.5% imported rice.

Yes, the daal may be increasing a bit more (from 97.5% to 98.5%) and that sure is a big "loss of culture". ;)

Don't use them.

Anyway, Urdu has just mixed about 1500 words from Farsi/Arabic into 60,000 Hindi words which were pre-existing.

As far as we are concerned, if you stop using those words, the language remains the same.

You are free to think differently and for you that 2.5% may be more important.

But you anyway will end up cringing 97.5 % of the time unless you start speaking pure Persian or Arabic.

Actually both Hindi & Urdu were born out of Khariboli & are in many ways mutually intelligible though fairly distinct in their tethering to both Sanskrit & Persian respectively !

I think Urdu is slowly being eliminated not just in India but Pakistan as well. For example I am aware that urdu bookwriters aren't succeeding too much. Chats with Deepak Budki reveal that the urdu book industry is being eliminated slowly. There are fewer buyers of urdu books and no one reads urdu literature anymore.

Even I have trouble writing or learning urdu. My Pashto writing infact is better than my urdu writing.

Actually both Hindi & Urdu were born out of Khariboli & are in many ways mutually intelligible though fairly distinct in their tethering to both Sanskrit & Persian respectively !

As I said, the tethering to Persian (and Arabic) of Urdu is only 2.5%.

By no means equivalent.

What we speak will be entirely intelligible to a person who speaks not a single word of Persian.

And 0% intelligible to an Arab or an Iranian.

"Classic Urdu" as mentioned, is a khichdi with 97.5 % Hindi daal and 2.5% imported rice.

Yes, the daal may be increasing a bit more (from 97.5% to 98.5%) and that sure is a big "loss of culture". ;)

Here comes the troll brigade to derail this thread and make it about themselves (India) some how, coming up with delusional nut job "facts" and "history", I just hope they don't start talking about "pre ice age cities"....

As I said, the tethering to Persian (and Arabic) is only 2.5%.

By no means equivalent.

What we speak will be entirely intelligible to a person who speaks not a single word of Persian.

And 0% intelligible to an Arab or an Iranian.

I dunno how those figures were conceived but I never said that Persian or Arabic are equivalent to Urdu simply that Urdu is to Hindi what perhaps Dutch is to German - Both born out of a preceding language but both evolving into different languages due to different linguistic influences ! Hindi may not have much in the way of Saraiki Influence but some Saraiki words have found their way into Urdu, especially post Partition & vice versa for the areas where Hindi overlaps with some other Indian language !

I think that is quite an over reaction.

Urdu has been naturally spreading in Pakistan and it is facilitated by a little social engineering by the state as well. Majority of our population have been quite receptive of it. I don't think Urdu is under threat in a way, but it is evolving in an unregulated way, e.g latinization of Urdu.

Since more people are speaking Urdu, but they are not educated enough to Read and Write Urdu in Persian script. Yet, they have taught themselves to read and write English alphabates, thanks to Mobile phones and SMS. We see usually poor people ( who weren't educated) using latinized Urdu to read and write.

I think the trend of Latinized Urdu might spread in Rural Areas, but then again, we can argue, Urdu is a language which is evolving, and it might evolve according to the needs of time..

I dunno how those figures were conceived but I never said that Persian or Arabic are equivalent to Urdu simply that Urdu is to Hindi what perhaps Dutch is to German - Both born out of a preceding language but both evolving into different languages due to different linguistic influences ! Hindi may not have much in the way of Saraiki Influence but some Saraiki words have found their way into Urdu, especially post Partition & vice versa for the areas where Hindi overlaps with some other Indian language !

That is fine. I was just wondering that if you have to keep cringing 97.5 % of the time because of usage of non Persian and Arabic words, it can't be healthy at all. ;)

As for the figures:

Firaq Gorakhpuri, the eminent twentieth-century Urdu poet, a Hindu who taught English literature at Allahabad University, estimated, in an essay written in 1979 for the Uttar Pradesh Hindi Sansthan, that Urdu added about 3,000 Arabic—Persian words to an Indian—Hindi lexicon of about 60,000.

Back
Top Bottom