What's new

Is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan better than Lata Mangeshkar?

@he-man, probably you have never heard pandit Bhimsen Joshi or pandit Jasraj, performing live on stage, whom even Jagjit Singh respected. you are belittling Indian performers by saying they are no match. Please listen to even Kailsh Kher live let aside masters like Pandit Joshi or Pandit Jasraj to know about Hindustani Classical singing. Nobody knew of NFAK beyond Pakistani Punjab till his qwwalis started to be remixed into pop songs. What you are posting here is your personal opinions only, that doesnt make them a matter of fact. Indians are not very well known for sufi singing but they are no less when it comes to Hindustani classical singing.

I have listened to all,,,,and what is a fact remains a fact.

Jagjit singh was simply the best stage artist we produced.
And belittling nusrat just shows ur arrogance

I'll look into that thanks.

Are u nawaz sharif or raheel sharif??:lol:

@he-man Nobody knew of NFAK beyond Pakistani Punjab till his qwwalis started to be remixed into pop songs.

That's not right. Many folk in the Western world knew him for his classical singing before the "remix" years. The likes of Mick Jagger, Maddona, Peter Gabriel and many other too numerous to list, were fans of his in the late 80's and on.

Bally Sagoo started all the remix stuff in the early 90's.

Are u nawaz sharif or raheel sharif??:lol:

Lol, I'm just making myself more aware. I only wish I could influence policy.

That's not right. Many folk in the Western world knew him for his classical singing before the "remix" years. The likes of Mick Jagger, Maddona, Peter Gabriel and many other too numerous to list, were fans of his in the late 80's and on.

Bally Sagoo started all the remix stuff in the early 90's.

Lol, I'm just making myself more aware. I only wish I could influence policy.

Its natural for indians to deny greatness for a pakistani singer............probably pakistanis will always deny greatness of sachin too.
So its expected,,,,we need to rise above this phenomenon

Both had different styles of singing so cant really be compared IMO. Both were excellent however.

I have listened to all,,,,and what is a fact remains a fact.

Jagjit singh was simply the best stage artist we produced.
And belittling nusrat just shows ur arrogance
then you need to grow up. And listen to more music which is not Sufi/ghazal/qwwali. Telling you, will be really enlightened if you are able to discern the nitty grittys of a raga. Probably you being a punjabi have more affinity towards urdu thats why you cant see beyond Jagjit Singh otherwise India has many masters who sing no lesser.

then you need to grow up. And listen to more music which is not Sufi/ghazal/qwwali. Telling you, will be really enlightened if you are able to discern the nitty grittys of a raga. Probably you being a punjabi have more affinity towards urdu thats why you cant see beyond Jagjit Singh otherwise India has many masters who sing no lesser.

Thank u for pointing that out................just compare coke studio india with that of pakistan
U will get ur answers and next time we have a discussion u will not be so confident

No I was asking why you cannot compare. I liked NFAK better.

I could not for the life of me, enjoy Lata's voice. i know it's blasphemy. But i could not.
I know what you mean . i grew up listening to lata , but there are only a few songs of hers i really love . One the other hand i can listen to NFAK all day .

Thank u for pointing that out................just compare coke studio india with that of pakistan
U will get ur answers and next time we have a discussion u will not be so confident
Coke Studio Pakistan is a big deal for pakistan where there are few avenues to showcase talent whereas in India no one knows much about it. Anyways, is Coke Studio any benchmark for singing prowess? Anyways this debate is like comparing apples and oranges. People have different preferences, you have yours and I have mine.

You mean NFAK was a master of classical? You are very wrong my friend. He was master of his own class of music but not of the classical as we know of.

True enough. I have yet to listen to a singer with such unique (to the extent of abnormal) vocal cords.

yes I agree with you.

I made a mistake in my judgement. Rahat Ali Khan was praising Patiala gharana and talking about the links with the sons of the gharana and based on that I made my assumptions

Coke Studio Pakistan is a big deal for pakistan where there are few avenues to showcase talent whereas in India no one knows much about it. Anyways, is Coke Studio any benchmark for singing prowess? Anyways this debate is like comparing apples and oranges. People have different preferences, you have yours and I have mine.

It indeed is a benchmark,,,,we have almost all the big names participating in it and still our version sucks.

Our generation is fed on honey singh,,,u are fooling urself

It indeed is a benchmark,,,,we have almost all the big names participating in it and still our version sucks.

Our generation is fed on honey singh,,,u are fooling urself

Well, although to an extent I support your claims --- I must remind you that genres in music, realy matter.

For eg, there are classical masterpieces from Pandi Bhimsen Joshi (hindustani)or MS Subbulakshmi (carnatic) which are just godly!! Our capability to enjoy genres ( possibly to do with the upbringing or exposure) effects our liking for a particular kind.

Inspite of the personal liking, I for one, would not term NFK as the best if you compare across genres. Cheers.

Well, although to an extent I support your claims --- I must remind you that genres in music, realy matter.

For eg, there are classical masterpieces from Pandi Bhimsen Joshi (hindustani)or MS Subbulakshmi (carnatic) which are just godly!! Our capability to enjoy genres ( possibly to do with the upbringing or exposure) effects our liking for a particular kind.

Inspite of the personal liking, I for one, would not term NFK as the best if you compare across genres. Cheers.

Its dying fast.............

Coke Studio Pakistan is indeed a benchmark. A different thing. Though recently it was losing some grip but still its a hugely differfent thing

Back
Top Bottom