What's new

Is Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan better than Lata Mangeshkar?

Let me break ur perception ,,just listen to first 20 minutes.
Its live

Jagjit>ghulam

Not even a debate.:D
But mehndi hassan was probably the best
Mehdi hassan was also versatile singer..he was probably best Pakistani singer in golden time along with noor jehan..I dont make this comparison who is greater than others. You can highlight the differences in their style of singing but Its unfair to make such conclusion that which one is best ghazal singers. People have their own favourite . I personally like certain ghazal of every ghazal singers out there so i dont have any one favourite ghazal singers..I love this ghazal of hari haran as well

[video]

madam ,, that same bollywood is providing bread n butter to many Pakistanis like Atif, Rahat fateh ali khan, adnan sami and many more.

Drug business also is very beneficial in terms of money .

anyway that does not mean the current bollywood music can be called different or can be compared with another world of different music.

And you cant deny that real recognition for even NFAK, came when he got popular in India, till then even not many Pakistanis knew about him.

:o: NVM

Mehdi hassan was also versatile singer..he was probably best Pakistani singer in golden time along with noor jehan..I dont make this comparison who is greater than others. You can highlight the differences in their style of singing but Its unfair to make such conclusion that which one is best ghazal singers. People have their own favourite . I personally like certain ghazal of every ghazal singers out there so i dont have any one favourite ghazal singers..I love this ghazal of hari haran as well

[video]

U make good points man.
But everyone has a favourite...................

this one " mitti da bawa" is my third fav ghazal of jaggit ..i wish he should have sung more in punjabi and in bit different style..

[video]

This was probably his best concert man.............just unbelievable.
If i told u this was a recording,u would agree,it was so good.

Ghazals unite india and pakistan,see this function held in london

this one " mitti da bawa" is my third fav ghazal of jaggit ..i wish he should have sung more in punjabi and in bit different style..

[video]

also punjabi,,,live again...........amazing mastery

for punjabi lovers

Last edited:
Do not compare musical legends. Both of them are god's gifts to us mortals.

As for some misconceptions here....

1. Lataji is not just a playback singer she has done a lot of work with classical base. You have to listen to some of her non filmi songs to realise this.

If this sound is not spiritual then what is?

2. Spiritual singing is not only limited to sufi. Hindustani and carnatic music have compositions and singers aplenty to touch the soul.

Pt. Bhimsen Joshi at his divine best.

3. As far as gazals are concerned Lataji has done the "bhavgeet" genre in Marathi. This is the closest approach she took to something like a gazal.

Please listen to this. Great lyrics and great music.

Also @Ravi Nair , your musical sense sucks big time. Nothing personal, it just does. A. R. Rehman as singer?

Do not compare musical legends. Both of them are god's gifts to us mortals.

As for some misconceptions here....

1. Lataji is not just a playback singer she has done a lot of work with classical base. You have to listen to some of her non filmi songs to realise this.

If this sound is not spiritual then what is?

2. Spiritual singing is not only limited to sufi. Hindustani and carnatic music have compositions and singers aplenty to touch the soul.

Pt. Bhimsen Joshi at his divine best.

3. As far as gazals are concerned Lataji has done the "bhavgeet" genre in Marathi. This is the closest approach she took to something like a gazal.

Please listen to this. Great lyrics and great music.

Also @Ravi Nair , your musical sense sucks big time. Nothing personal, it just does. A. R. Rehman as singer?

I confused singer with composer :P

also no offense taken :-)

More devotional songs from Lata Mangeshkar. These are songs to wake up to in the morning.

Devotional song by Hridyanath Mangeskar

Actually this Thread is a moron. Comparing Lata Mangeshkar to NFAK, whats the point?

People who are hollering about NFAK being the greatest don't know a single thing about Indian Classical Music or as a matter of fact they haven't heard much music themselves other than a genre of Sufi/Fusion Rock. India since long had a very rich tradition of producing not only vocalist but also people mastering instruments. Just to name a few Pandit Hari Prasad Chaurasia(Flute), Ustad Vilayat Khan(Sarod), Ustad Amjad Ali Khan(Sarod), Pandit Ravi Shankar(Sitar), Ustad Allahrakkha Khan(Tabla), Ustad Zakir Hussain(Tabla), Pandit Mohan Sharma(Vina/Guitar), Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma(Santoor), Ustad Bismillah Khan(Shehnai), V.G. Jog(Violin) and there are many more, who can move you from within without even uttering a single word. And I am not even talking about the rich tradition of vocalists from various gharanas. Do let me know if Pakistan produces anything other than qawwals and ghazal singers.

And hell, here we are stuck among people claiming Jagjit Singh is the best and NFAK is the best. Go out and listen. There is lot more divine music than these two.

I am a big fan of NFAK.Apart from being a great singer,he was also a great composer and lyricist.Lata Mangeshkar is good singer but is she as good as NFAK was?

I never felt the spiritual high while listening to Lata but I feel it when I hear NFAK.

Respected members,waiting for your opinion please.
Lata and NFAK both sing in different style of singing. Nevertheless, if u want to compare Lata with some one in Pakistan than it is Noor Jehan and in my view Noor Jehan had more control over her voice than Lata.

In the end fact of the matter is that they are all great singers

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan:

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan wasn't an Alcoholic. If you listen to his qawwali carefully, they are more like storytelling in the form of poetry Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan wasn't an Alcoholic. If you listen to his qawwali's carefully, they are more like storytelling in the form of poetry.

Lata Mangeshkar:​

lata mangeshkar is also a legend of northland

Fsee Production is one of the largest Sufi genre music networks in the world, which consoles the deepest aesthetic fibers of the human heart around the globe.​

Back
Top Bottom