What's new

Is Israel Pakistan’s enemy?

Debunking four arguments Pakistanis commonly make in defense of Pakistan’s current policy on Israel-Palestine
JANUARY 21, 2018 ~ F. JEFFERY
Following the almost a week long visit of Israeli PM Netanyahu to India, there’s once again debate in Pakistan on how should Pakistan respond and whether Pakistan’s existing policy on Israel-Palestine is even workable anymore. There’s developing a growing consensus among Pakistani experts on international relations and defense that Pakistan’s policy on Israel-Palestine can use some balancing. The one thing fresh about this renewed debate is the latest Palestinian betrayal when Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas recalled Palestinian envoy to Pakistan after coming under pressure from India. It was not only a diplomatic rebuke to Pakistan but also a shameless betrayal that hurt the feelings of many pro-Palestinian Pakistanis, who didn’t expect Palestinians to insult Pakistan considering that last year in 2017 Pakistan almost went to war with US on the issue of Jerusalem. Pakistan co-sponsored the UN resolution condemning President Trump’s announcement on Jerusalem and Pakistani representative at UN Ms Maleeha Lodhi gave a passionate speech against it. Even before that resolution, Pakistan has tabled and co-sponsored countless pro-Palestinian UN resolutions over the years while refusing to recognize Israel. The thing which perhaps hurt Pakistanis even more was the fact that Palestinians recalled their envoy to Pakistan because he shared the stage with Hafiz Saeed, who many Pakistanis see as a freedom fighter figure of sorts due to his stance on the issue of Kashmir – a territory claimed by both Pakistan and India. Palestinians recalling their envoy meant that Palestinians did not fully agree with Pakistan on Kashmir, which was shocking for many Pakistanis, even though Palestinians have historically always supported India over Pakistan.

The recent debate in Pakistan on Israel-Palestine issue is not restricted to the strategist and foreign policy circles but has also poured into the mainstream media. Two Pakistani TV show hosts – Mr Ahmed Qureshi and Mr Rana Mubashir – recently argued in their respective TV shows that Pakistan should revisit its policy towards Israel-Palestine. One could not have imagined something like this just 5 years ago as many Pakistanis are still afraid to talk frankly about this area of foreign policy due to fear of backlash from Islamists and Jihadis. So this is a positive change and something that should be encouraged. Even more recently, former Pakistani President and former Chief of Pakistan’s Armed Forces Mr Musharraf argued in an interview that Pakistan must protect its national interests first and create relations with Israel because that is what is in the interests of Pakistan. In the same interview – as well as in multiple past interviews – Mr Musharraf has also defended his initiative towards Israel when he was in power. So it is safe to say that the debate on Israel-Palestine has once again picked up in Pakistan. Thus I saw this as an opportune moment to write this article to debunk four arguments commonly made by Pakistanis to argue against relations with Israel.

“Public opinion in Pakistan won’t allow relations with Israel/Pakistan cannot create relations with Israel because of public opinion/there will be backlash if Pakistan recognized Israel/(other variations of this argument)
”​

This argument is perhaps the most common one made by Pakistanis to argue against open relations with Israel. But there are many problems with this argument. For starters, the majority public opinion is uninformed and ignorant of the facts about Israel as well realities of international relations. This is because of several reasons but primary being: 1. continuous bombardment of anti-Israel propaganda, coming from shady sources, through Pakistani media. 2. Islamic extremism in the country and the negative societal attitude towards Jews. 3. lack of political leadership on this issue as well as excessive scapegoating of ‘Jews’ in conspiracy theories in politics by Islamists. All of these things combined play a major role in keeping the public opinion ignorant. It is the job of the state to inform and educate the public, including on matters of national interests. A successful state controls the public opinion while a failed state surrenders to all kinds of ignorant public opinions, effectively compromising on national interests. Even though a large portion of the public opinion may be against relations with Israel, the fact remains that it is in the national interests of Pakistan. This little fact is agreed upon by every single Pakistani foreign policy expert, experienced diplomat and militaryman I have talked to over the years about this issue.

Another question that arises when this argument is used is: does Pakistan consider public opinion when dealing with any other state? Did Pakistan consider public opinion before starting CPEC with China? Did Pakistan hold a referendum before giving military bases to US and supply routes to NATO for Afghanistan war? Does Pakistan hold a referendum or consider public opinion on foreign policy matters relating to Pakistan and US, or Pakistan and Ukraine, or Pakistan and Russia? The answer to that would be no, because there are clear limitations to involvement of public opinion in foreign policy of any country. US went to war in Iraq despite American public opinion being against the war, because US government decided at that time that the Iraq war was in the interests of the US. So it is clear that it would be absurdly unfair – not to Israel but to Pakistan itself – if Pakistan applies different standards to the foreign policy question on Israel.

Media and political leaders can play an important role in educating the public while at the same time the Pakistani state must tame any and all elements who will try to oppose such an initiative. No one is bigger than the state and its national interests. Media, in particular, can play an important role in informing Pakistanis about the ground realities of the Middle East. Pakistani media can start by NOT using shady sources like Hezbollah media, Iranian media, Qatari media, etc on matters relating to Israel. This is same as Israeli media using Indian media to source stories on Pakistan – which you can bet will almost always be negatively tilted against Pakistan. Pakistani media must act more responsibly when it comes to matters relating to Israel and it should always remember that everything said on Pakistani media influences impressionable Pakistanis, many of who do not bother or do not have the means to do research of their own.

Conclusion
: Just because public opinion is for or against something doesn’t mean that it is right or in the national interest.

“Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah refused to recognize Israel so we cannot betray his stance”

This argument, like the previous one, is also based on lack of perspective. First of all, without going into the debate whether Jinnah’s stance was morally and strategically right or wrong, let’s first consider why Jinnah refused to recognize Israel: 1. Pakistan itself was a fledgling state in 1948 that was looking for support from Muslim majority countries. 2. Jinnah, like many in the Muslim majority world at the time, did not expect Israel to survive for very long.

Had Jinnah foreseen that Arabs would be soundly defeated every time they imposed war on Israel, that Israel would transform into a hub of innovation and technology, and that Arabs would end up having close backdoor relations with Israel, perhaps Mr Jinnah’s stance would have been different. Jinnah also didn’t foresee that Pakistan would get nothing of strategic benefit for decades of unconditional support for Palestinians. Pakistani unconditional support for Palestinians has not only failed to convince Palestinians to favor Pakistan over India but it has also failed to convince the international community to be more serious about the Kashmir issue, something that is very important to Pakistan. Indeed, Arab countries have historically only paid lip service to the Kashmir issue and the only two reasons many Arab countries have not openly sided with India yet is due to Pakistani military and Pakistani nukes. Remove these two things and you will see many Arab countries officially joining the Indian camp. On the other hand, even the Persians are strategic partners of India – and the Iranian regime is one of the most anti-Israel regimes in the world.

Conclusion: Regardless of whether Jinnah’s stance at the time was right or wrong, we have entered 2018 and what Jinnah thought in 1948 is simply of no significance today whatsoever.

“Kashmir is an issue similar to Palestinian issue in nature and therefore Pakistan cannot compromise on Palestinians/Kashmir and Palestine are similar issues and therefore Pakistan needs a consistent stance/(other variations of this argument)”

First of all let’s start with the basic fact that Kashmir and Palestine are NOT similar in nature. To suggest that not only ignores history but also misses present ground realities. For starters, Pakistan does not wish to see the destruction of India, unlike Palestinian groups like Hamas and Islamic Jihad, that have a clear manifesto that seeks total annihilation of Israel. Despite having fought multiple bloody wars, Pakistan and India not only have diplomatic relations and great trade & tourist ties and more, but India even gave the Most Favorite Nation (MFN) status to Pakistan. Apart from that, both India and Pakistan are rational actors who know that the ultimate solution to the Kashmir issue will only come through dialogue, especially now that both countries are nuclear powers and cannot afford to fight another war. On the other hand, Palestinian and Arab leaders have historically rejected peace deals with Israel – repeatedly.

I will not go into a lot of detail on this argument because in the past I have extensively talked about why Kashmir and Palestine are not the same and why Pakistanis must stop comparing both, which you can find here.

Conclusion: Kashmir and Palestine are two entirely different issues in nature with very different backgrounds and present ground realities. Comparing both is actually counter-productive for Pakistani stance on Kashmir issue.

“Pakistan cannot recognize Israel because of Al-Aqsa”

Let’s start with the fact that Israel is the only modern democracy in the Middle East that protects full fundamental rights – including religious rights – of all communities, including Muslims of course. When the delegation of Pakistan-Israel Alliance (PIA) visited Israel in 2017, one of the first things that PIA members instantly noticed was the freedom Muslims have in Israel, where they shop in the same markets as Jews, study in same universities as Jewish students and watch movies in the same cinemas as Jews. Muslims are members of the Knesset (Israeli Parliament) and are even free to condemn Israel or raise the Islamic prayer call while standing in the Knesset. This is the kind of freedom that Israel gives to its Muslim citizens – something that is missing from the several Muslim majority countries surrounding Israel.

djiqyjgxcaubwcb.jpg

Founder of Pakistan-Israel Alliance (PIA) Noor Dahri with Former Israeli FM Tzipi Livni at a counter-terrorism conference in Israel.
dkulwtswaaacu7u.jpg

Founder of Pakistan-Israel Alliance (PIA) with former chief of Mossad Mr Shabtai Shavit at a counter-terrorism conference in Israel.
dsbpdauu8aahxvy.jpg

PIA delegation in front of the Western Wall.
dsbpdugvwaa1ncy.jpg

PIA delegation outside Israel’s Independence Hall.
qweqwe.jpg

PIA delegation in Tel Aviv.
Now let’s talk about Al-Aqsa, which is very close to the heart of every Muslim. Muslim conspiracy theorists have long claimed – even since before Israel was created – that Jews are about to destroy Al-Aqsa and build the Third Temple. And yet today in 2018 Al-Aqsa continues to stand in all its glory, hosting Muslims from all over the world – including Pakistanis who either enter through Jordan or go directly via Israeli airport either on a different passport or on Pakistani passport, which isn’t stamped by Israeli airport officials to keep the visitor safe from persecution by authorities in his home country. While Israel has done everything it could do – from posting Muslim security officers around the mosque area to installing metal detectors to reduce probability of terrorist attacks after the rise of Islamic State – to keep Muslims safe and the mosque functioning, Palestinians have done everything they could to create difficulties not only for Israel but also for themselves. Palestinian youth routinely hide weapons inside Al-Aqsa, which are used against Israeli policemen during riots. Palestinian militants have historically also used Al-Aqsa to meet and plot attacks, thus ruining the sanctity of their own holy site.

For a moment, let’s take out Israel from the equation. Let’s imagine that Israel doesn’t exist. So now you have Hamas, Islamic Jihad, Islamic State, Al-Qaeda and two dozen other terrorist groups operating in the region. Plus you have genocidal regimes in the region like the Assad regime in Syria and the Ayatollah regime in Iran. Who gets to keep Al-Aqsa? We have seen what happened to holy and historical sites in Iraq and Syria where Islamic State and Iran-backed Shia militias took over. We have also seen what the Wahhabi regime in KSA has done to Islamic holy sites present in Saudi Arabia over the years. Let’s face it: in the present environment, Israel is the best bet for Muslims to keep Al-Aqsa safe and functioning. The right approach for Pakistanis would be to recognize Israel and then to work with Israel to better protect and help in the functioning of Al-Aqsa. Presently the management of Al-Aqsa is the responsibility of the Jordan-backed Islamic Waqf but it is safe to say both Jordan and Israel will welcome any Pakistani help that is meant to be for the betterment of Al-Aqsa. Moreover, Pakistan can also work with Israel to make visiting Al-Aqsa a better experience for Pakistanis in particular. You can read more about this point in my previous article here.

Conclusion: Pakistan needs to take a rational approach towards Al-Aqsa and Jerusalem and should always remember that nothing can convince Israel to go against its own interests – something that is also true for Pakistan.

The arguments debunked above are four of the most used arguments by Pakistanis to argue against relations with Israel. None of these arguments can stand up to scrutiny and honest debate. It is time for Pakistanis to dump these lame arguments and selfishly promote their national interests. It is vital for Pakistanis to understand that Pakistan is not an enemy of Israel and Israel is not the enemy of Pakistan, as Israeli PM Netanyahu rightly said – much to the disappointment of Indians – during his visit to India. Pakistanis must understand that refusing to recognize Israel doesn’t make Israel go away, and vice versa. We are living in a global village where both Pakistan and Israel are part of China’s One Belt One Road Initiative and will sooner or later need to build ties if they want to benefit to the maximum from the Chinese project. In a world where even sworn enemies that are at war keep a line of communication active, Pakistan and Israel not having ties is simply not a viable option anymore. There is no good logical reason why both countries should not have relations. The time for this debate is here and it is now.
Wtf hahaha.what a name PIA(copy right):undecided:. not a single f was,is or will be given. and your 4 arguments doesnt make any sense. Pakistani nation hates Israel and thats a FACT.

why are you so eager to prove yourself right? ok its your views but plz keep it to yourself. we will always support Right over Wrong. Wrong is Wrong and your views wont make any change. thanks
Trying to prove myself right is the very point of an argument. I am trying to show how redundant and obsolete Pakistan's POV on Israel is, that not recognising them as a state does more harm than any good, even the ones fighting them today and get justice recognise them as a state.

Trying to prove myself right is the very point of an argument. I am trying to show how redundant and obsolete Pakistan's POV on Israel is, that not recognising them as a state does more harm than any good, even the ones fighting them today and get justice recognise them as a state.
doesnt make any sense. when there is a solution to this conflict and that is 2 state solutuion but Israel doesnt want that, then why should we favor hthem over our muslim brothers? and for your kind info,you are not right but influenced. thanks

doesnt make any sense. when there is a solution to this conflict and that is 2 state solutuion but Israel doesnt want that, then why should we favor hthem over our muslim brothers? and for your kind info,you are not right but influenced. thanks
Influenced by what? Common sense? Why doesn't UAE, Saudi Arabia et al. sever ties with Israel and put pressure back on to them? Most of the Arab states just don't bloody care, and for muslim 'brothers' I'll be damned If any Palestinian gives two craps about Pakistan's support. Delusion is strong however. Also recognising Israel does not mean you are now miraculously in favour of their state owning all of Palestine. If that was the case all the countries that have formal ties with Israel would've voted for Israel in the UN vote, but don't let logic get in the way of stupidity.
Pakistani nation hates Israel and thats a FACT.
First of all did you conduct a nationwide vote to see if this is true or not? To me it seems like more baseless facts pulled out of thin air. And even if this was the case then why does Pakistan have formal ties with India and Afghanistan etc.? I mean we hate them more then Israel that's for god damn sure.

Stupid as stupid does.

:agree: Big enemy !!! Very big

• Arming india with Phalcons
  • Arming india with Missiles

They are our enemy !!! This won't change unless they recognize Palestine

You'd have to be insane to want to befriend Israel. They have conspired with India against Pakistan. They continue to have a strategic relationship with India against Pakistan. Trusting Israel is suicidal. Zionists will never, ever be friends with Muslims and that's a fact. They will use Muslims for their strategic benefits as they have done with Turkey before Erdogan, with Egypt for decades and now as they are doing with Saudi. But they will never be friends or allies of a Muslim country.

Lets get things straight.
Pakistan first.

Firstly, Palestinian-Israeli conflict is NOT PAKISTAN'S PROBLEM.

Secondly, Israel becomes Pakistan's enemy when Israel helps India in wars against Pakistan.

I have some discussions with french zionists. I told them i was indian and i dont like muslims and specially Pakistani :D:chilli:
And they started to spoke openly with me aganst Muslims and against Pakistan.

Don't expect them to be our friends...

I have some discussions with french zionists. I told them i was indian indian and i dont like muslims and specially Pakistani :D:chilli:
And they started to spoke openly with me aganst Muslims and against Pakistan.

Don't expect them to be our friends...
Really is that true?
I thought the French prided themselves on tolerance.

Really is that true?
I thought the French prided themselves on tolerance.
I discussed this point with some others french (Jewish and non Jewish) They laughed at me and told me welcome in the Real Politik.

One thing is certain. Israel is very fearful of Pakistan and its military strength.

Israel and Pakistan not enemies but they are also not friends.

Israel conspires with India to attack Pakistani nuclear facilities which foiled, indeed originally a plan by Israel without India but they don't have access to any other country to refuel their jets so they have to involve India but later India refuses to allow Israel to carry out such attack fearing retaliation from Pakistan. During Kargill war Israel sent their air force pilots and engineers to modify IAF jets to carry out strikes at high altitude areas.

Just rumors spread by anti-Pakistani people.

This is what Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said recently

“We (Israel) are not enemies of Pakistan and Pakistan should not be our enemy either.”

I discussed this point with some others french (Jewish and non Jewish) They laughed at me and told me welcome in the Real Politik.
Well you can tell your French friends the feelings are mutual towards their peoples and societies. :P

For all the hate Israel gets for being in the holy land.... Have you considered who put it there?

Did Israel put itself there? Or was it the Brits, French, Canadians, Americans, Italians, Danes, Swedes, UN.... the list goes on.

So I ask you why "shoot the messenger?"

For all the things India does to muslims... yet the Arabs never sent 6 pilots.

The Iranians let PAF planes land, fuel, and arm. Even sent their own military assets and financial support to Pakistan.

While India gets to export their workers to the Gulf, Pakistanis can't get visas. Hell you're banned from marrying women from the Gulf States. Is India on that list?

Grow up. The world's leaving you behind.

For all the hate Israel gets for being in the holy land.... Have you considered who put it there?

Did Israel put itself there? Or was it the Brits, French, Canadians, Americans, Italians, Danes, Swedes, UN.... the list goes on.

So I ask you why "shoot the messenger?"

For all the things India does to muslims... yet the Arabs never sent 6 pilots.

The Iranians let PAF planes land, fuel, and arm. Even sent their own military assets and financial support to Pakistan.

While India gets to export their workers to the Gulf, Pakistanis can't get visas. Hell you're banned from marrying women from the Gulf States. Is India on that list?

Grow up. The world's leaving you behind.
Usually the Gulf countries have done a lot for Pakistan.

When you have a population of 1.2 billion people versus 220 million people its hard to resist the larger market.

Back
Top Bottom