What's new

Is ‘Hindu’ our National Identity?

It is Indian constitution that has the authority and as per Indian constitution every one who has Indian citizenship is called an India irrespective of their religion.
Well, that's official and secular definition. What's the real definition on the ground? :D

That's a product of Indian culture man. The specific word was always land of sindh. It was used more widely by muslims including in the 20th century than hindus (who were always more comfortable with Bharat Varsha, now if there was an over emphasis on 'hindu', you think muslims would have referred to all these lands as 'Hindustan'? Including areas like Taxila which are a part of Pak now.

The "Indian culture" you speak of is what is represented by the world Hindu.

And Yes, the word were used by muslim invaders and settlers because they always saw this land and its people as Hindu. Muslims felt safe enough in this land to refer to its name as Hindustan. Till they wanted "Pakistan" which if you see is similar to "Hindustan".

Even today in the Middle East Indian muslims are called Hindus.

There is no such thing as Hindu Muslims. Hindu are followers of those religion who orginated in India and those who follow Islam are Muslims
BS. Your ancestors were either Hindus or Buddhists before they converted to Islam. Sure there were Indians who followed other animistic religions in India before Islam came along, but they were too few to bother.

Well, that's official and secular definition. What's the real definition on the ground? :D

You can come to India and check or ask any muslim living in India.

India as a state do not discriminate any religion, it is vice versa muslims treat themselves as a separate entity and isolate themselves. Majority of the people in India do not discriminate but there are some exceptions.

"Hindu" is a person who is the follower of any religion originated in India (i.e. Hinduism, Jainism ,Buddhism or Sikhism etc ) so Indian Muslims and christian cannot be called Hindu.
Ehh, no. A hindu is a follower of Hindu religion, nothing else. The rest are called respectively by their religions. There is a difference between an Indian and a Hindu! :D

Hindu laws dont apply to Muslims, Christians and parsis in India. Indian constitution allow them to have separate laws because their identity is not common with Hindus

Not to my knowledge. If you have evidence then feel free to share it.

Please feel free to do some research on the net. I am no expert.

By "prophet" arere you talking about Zoroaster ? His name is corruption of "Zaratustra" where Ustra means CAMEL. So its safe to assume he is from Western Persia (Iraq) rather than Afghanistan.

Most reliable sources put his place of birth as north eastern Iran / south western Afghanistan or northern Iran / easter Azerbaijan.

The ancient etymological origin of his name are from the ancient Persian still spoken in eastern Iran. Not western. Zar meaning golden.

India as a state do not discriminate any religion, it is vice versa muslims treat themselves as a separate entity and isolate themselves. Majority of the people in India do not discriminate but there are some exceptions.
So you say its Muslims who do not try to integrate? Ever checked ur bollywood industry? :D

BS. Your ancestors were either Hindus or Buddhists before they converted to Islam. Sure there were Indians who followed other animistic religions in India before Islam came along, but they were too few to bother.
Ancestor of arabs were pagans too so they should call themselves pagans even when they gave up those practices of their forefathers ?

Your faith practiced long enough will eventually become your culture.

The issue is that our forefathers have practiced your present faith for a lot less time than the parent faith. So the parent culture still defines you.

Another 5 odd thousand years as living as muslims will probably see that change.

How much my forefathers will matter to me depends on how many generations I remember. I only remember the name of my great grandfather not before that. So how does it matter what my forefathers believed 5000 years ago. There is a strong belief (no proof) in my family that our forefathers came from central asia some 600 years ago, in the same way brahmins in our village claim that they are aryans who came from central asia about 3000 years ago. Now we both have strong love for our land and soil, we speak the same language, we are similar on so many counts and yet we are distinct and opposed to each other on as many counts and we have been living peacefully for ages.

Ancestors of arabs were pagan too so they should call thrmselves pagans even when they gave up those practices of their forefathers ?

Islam is to Arabs as Hinduism is to Indians.

Not just Saudi Arabs, but all Arabs.

Similarly not jst Indians, but equally Pakistanis, Nepalis, Bhutanese, Bangladeshis, Burmese and Sri Lankans.

Ancestor of arabs were pagans too so they should call themselves pagans even when they gave up those practices of their forefathers ?
Yes, they should. There is a reason why they still regard themselves as Arabs first and Muslims after. Arab is their nationality or ethnic origin, so comes the religion that can be Islam, Druze, Judaism or Christianity!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom