What's new

Is ‘Hindu’ our National Identity?

Hindu never did refer to a religion.

But the word Hindustan referred specifically to river sindhu, literally menas 'land of the sindhu river'. Of course now Bhakt will invent logic to prove that it equals hindu religion.

But the word Hindustan referred specifically to river sindhu, literally menas 'land of the sindhu river'. Of course now Bhakt will invent logic to prove that it equals hindu religion.

I do not want to get into your perimenstrual rants about bhakt this and bhakt that.

Fact of the matter is that Hindu since ancient times referred to our common peoplehood and culture.

A lot of that came from the parent system of faith and theology. But are not or cannot be used interchangeably.

Like Tibet, Afghanistan (including present day Pasthunistan and Balochistan areas of Pakistan) was the buffer and transition zone between ancient Indian and Persian civilizations.

More Persian than Indian though in terms of genetic and political influence.

Since we have PLENTY of reference to Gandharva and Gandhar in our texts (Ramayana, Mahabharata, , it can be safely assumed that they were very much PART of our civilization rather than buffer zones.

A Gandharva, Tumburu is our greatest musician as per mythology. Our Musical instrument Tambura is named after him.

Last edited:
Since we have PLENTY of reference to Gandharva and Gandhar in our texts (Ramayana, Mahabharata, , it can be safely assumed that they were very much PART of our civilization rather than buffer zones.

A Gandharva, Tumburu is our greates muscian as per mythology. Our Musical instrument Tambura is named after him.

Am pretty sure that area is referenced equally if not more in Persian texts.

If I am not mistaken, their prophet was also supposed to have been born from somewhere in the same region.

I do not want to get into your perimenstrual rants about bhakt this and bhakt that.

Fact of the matter is that Hindu since ancient times referred to our common peoplehood and culture.

A lot of that came from the parent system of faith and theology. But are not or cannot be used interchangeably.

Bhakt doesn't understand the simple fact that Hind in Hindustan refers to a river and not culture or any other fancy logic. a simple thing repeated again and again also doesn't get it through head. Bhakt must be menopausal.

What people of Baluchistan, KPK and FATA have to do with Hindu customs & traditions?
Same question regarding Kashmiris, Bengalis and other Indian Muslims that used to live in subcontinent, also called Hindustan until 1947! :D

No, the RIVER Sindhu, not the religion hindu. That's what 'Hindu' in Hindustan refers to- the physical river.

Hindu over time refers to the people, the civilization, the society and the values system of that society. It has nothing to do with the River which has now become incidental.

It is similar to how the River Saraswati now refers to the Godess Saraswati and Knowledge and the River itself has become incidental.

A Gandharva, Tumburu is our greates muscian as per mythology. Our Musical instrument Tambura is named after him.

Man what tangential routes are you taking. All that I'm saying is that in the specific word 'Hindustan' refers to river and nothing else. The rest of rig Vedic references etc. are just fine.

Bhakt doesn't understand the simple fact that Hind in Hindustan refers to a river and not culture or any other fancy logic. a simple thing repeated again and again also doesn't get it through head. Bhakt must be menopausal.

Shoo

Hindu over time refers to the people, the civilization, the society and the values system of that society. It has nothing to do with the River which has now become incidental.

It is similar to how the River Saraswati now refers to the Godess Saraswati and Knowledge and the River itself has become incidental.

That's a product of Indian culture man. The specific word was always land of sindh. It was used more widely by muslims including in the 20th century than hindus (who were always more comfortable with Bharat Varsha, now if there was an over emphasis on 'hindu', you think muslims would have referred to all these lands as 'Hindustan'? Including areas like Taxila which are a part of Pak now.

If thats going to be the case, a lot of Indians are going to get into a big identity crisis including myself. I have always considered myself to be an Indian, a bhaaratiya, a hindustani..... I am a muslim and learnt that its my personal, spiritual, religious, family and partly social identity not distinct from my national identity. We were told that we are different flowers of one garland, one garden but now some nomenclature change would require all the flowers to be known as Rose. It will be known as marigold rose or jasmine rose or periwinkle rose because they all grew up and flourished in a rose garden.

"Hindu" is a person who is the follower of any religion originated in India (i.e. Hinduism, Jainism ,Buddhism or Sikhism etc ) so Indian Muslims and christian cannot be called Hindu.

Am pretty sure that area is referenced equally if not more in Persian texts.

If I am not mistaken, their prophet was also supposed to have been born from somewhere in the same region.

Not to my knowledge. If you have evidence then feel free to share it.

By "prophet" arere you talking about Zoroaster ? His name is corruption of "Zaratustra" where Ustra means CAMEL. So its safe to assume he is from Western Persia (Iraq) rather than Afghanistan.

If thats going to be the case, a lot of Indians are going to get into a big identity crisis including myself. I have always considered myself to be an Indian, a bhaaratiya, a hindustani..... I am a muslim and learnt that its my personal, spiritual, religious, family and partly social identity not distinct from my national identity. We were told that we are different flowers of one garland, one garden but now some nomenclature change would require all the flowers to be known as Rose. It will be known as marigold rose or jasmine rose or periwinkle rose because they all grew up and flourished in a rose garden.

Your faith practiced long enough will eventually become your culture.

The issue is that our forefathers have practiced your present faith for a lot less time than the parent faith. So the parent culture still defines you.

Another 5 odd thousand years as living as muslims will probably see that change.

"Hindu" is a person who is the follower of any religion originated in India (i.e. Hinduism, Jainism ,Buddhism or Sikhism etc ) so Indian Muslims and christian cannot be called Hindu.

Errr .... no.

Who has the authority to declare the identity of India?

It is Indian constitution that has the authority and as per Indian constitution every one who has Indian citizenship is called an Indian irrespective of their religion.

Back
Top Bottom