What's new

Is ‘Hindu’ our National Identity?

LOL. They are just making fun out of you. The word 'Paindu' is derived from the Punjabi-word 'Pind' which literally means village. So when some illiterate villager visits a city for the very first time, people over there call him 'Paindu'. So basically its a derogatory term used for a villager. I bet you chinese have similar words for such people who are recently urbanised from the villages :D

Sure does. 'Stan' is persian that means place. Hindu-stan, land of the Hindus. Or what it was known back then among Muslims! :D

Noce try, this is a bhakt orgy thread. If you think it's gonna make India Hindu extremist country, buddy you need to smoke lots of pot for that.

PS- the Persian 'stan' actually comes from Indian 'sthan' :enjoy:

"Sthana" is SANSKRIT for place e.g. Vasa sthana (residence), anya sthana (different place) .........so why are the persians speaking sanskrit ? :devil:

BTW "Pind" is also a sanskrit word meaning a gathering. e.g. a gathering of people (village) or community, gathering of cooked rice is also known as Pinda and is made as an offering during the cremation ceremonies.

Ok, my bad, its Indo-Aryan after all :D

The suffix, originally an independent noun, but evolving into a suffix by virtue of appearing frequently as the last part in nominal compounds, is of Indo-Iranian and ultimately Indo-European origin: It is cognate with Sanskritsthā́na (Devanagari: स्थान[st̪ʰaːna]), meaning "the act of standing", from which many further meanings derive, including "place, location", and ultimately descends from Proto-Indo-Iranian *sthāna-.
-stan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If Britain calls its people British, then why can't Bharat called its people Hindu?

Remember we are referring to its actual meaning and not the term that the British gave.

Ehhhh Britain called it's people British the same way Bharat Calls it's people Bharatiya.....you're pulling some strange ones nowadays man :o:

India is multi ethnic country, you cant call every one hindu in terms of nationality. Because that term was reserved only for people who lived in sindh. The people living in NE, Assam and in south India will not going to be measured with this definition, as its not applicable for them even though they practise the same religion.

Actually you are quite wrong.

This has more to do with what the people of a land are called. Ethnicity has nothing to do with the term Hindu.

The word Hindu's 'ism' is a British creation (though much more convenient to say than Sanatana Dharma, as they call themselves in sanskrit) Similarly, Baudh, Shishya (Sikh) etc are Sanskrit terms that were hard for the British to understand.

So to make their work easy, they gave everything a 'religious' color.

It has more to do with identity.

Indian is what we write in English language.

Bharatiya or Hindu is what one would write otherwise.

Like how China and Chinese is not what people of China call their country or people as.

Oh and it is not a religion, it is a philosophy of life.

Religion is no domicile of our country.

Tell me how many names do we have since all this time?

Why so scared of that term buddy? :D

There is a SUBSET that's called 'Hindu', the rest are not hindu. Now don't bring some hindu victimization theory into this.

So its Bharat or Hindustan?

Hindustan comes form 'Sindhu', a variation of 'Sindh' (I think that also comes from Persian). For millennia Bharat and Hindustan have been used for this land.

So its Bharat or Hindustan?

'Hindustan' is a variation of 'Sindhu' or 'Sidh'- the place of the Indus river. I think this also comes from Persian. For millennia both Bharat (land of Bharata) and Hindustan have been used to describe this land.

There is a SUBSET that's called 'Hindu', the rest are not hindu. Now don't bring some hindu victimization theory into this.

Hindustan comes form 'Sindhu', a variation of 'Sindh' (I think that also comes from Persian). For millennia Bharat and Hindustan have been used for this land.

Sapta Sindhu is from the Rg Veda. Nothing persian about it.

Fact of the matter is that regardless of what new faith any Indian professes today, the overall cultural heritage of the nation is strongly Hindu. It touches every aspect of life in India. Even amongst those whose current faith is the complete antithesis of what it means to be Hindu.

For any number of foreign lands and peoples therefore, India always was and will continue to be see as the land of the Hindus.

So yes, our identity is strongly Hindu.

Back
Top Bottom