What's new

IRIAF Vs. PAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is childish ,
first of all , F-14 was replaced by F-22 in USAF , so .....
also if F-14 is old , SO is F-16
thirdly comparing F-14 to JF-17 or F-16 is a mere joke !!! radar range of F-14 is 300km and its missiles can reach 200 km easily
really want to know how u guys manage to evade a Phoniex missile :lol:
about combat readiness of F-14 , all of our tomcats had undergone heavy (real heavy) overhaul .
besides F-16 and JF-17 (a chinese fighter) PAF has nothing to offer .
our pilot instructors are trained by US themselves . quite the joke now ....
The United States Navy Strike Fighter Tactics Instructor program (SFTI program), more popularly known as Topgun or TOPGUN

I couldn't help but to jump in. The ONLY thing in your post that sounds accurate is the first line, "the thread is childish". Allow me to correct you:
1) The F-14 was NEVER replaced by the F-22. It was replaced by the F-18A Hornet, later version became Super Hornet. The F-22 replaced the higher tier of the US air force....aka, the F-15.
2) The F-14 is old and so is the F-16....how so? How many F-14's (outside of Iran) are being used as a front line fighter vs. the F-16's?? There are OVER 4000 -16's serving in primarily all Western and some Eastern air force. The -16 is a pain in the rear to go against. Whether you sit in an F-14 or an F-15 or an F-18. Pilots despise the event where they have to face the -16. I think you can find some references here on this site too. The F-16 is one of the VERY few HIGHLY Modernized planes since its inception. It started service after simulating dog fights against 69 USAF and USN jets and it won EVERY SINGLE of them. Anyway, you got the point. The F-14 was a heavy carrier interceptor later converted into very limited multirole capability but it was designed pre-jet computing. The F-16 was one of the first aircrafts to have a mathematical DX-4 coprocessor that could do over millions of calculations per second. This was in the early 70's. While the F-14 had virtually no room for redesign and upgrades due to USN only requirements.
Phoenix missile has good range, but look up its kill ratio. This was the first gen BVR missile. Put this against AMRAAM...you have no chance of recording a kill as AMRAAM won't let you evade anywhere unless you decided to eject knowing the only option left!
A plane that the manufacturer decided not to overhaul anymore (the F-14), how did you guys enhance it? By putting Russian equipment in, doesn't mean overhaul. It means modification and even that in the sense of putting a patch in. The equipment is old and outdated as hell.
Your pilots trained in Top Gun in the late 70's I think. The tactics, weapons, training, planes, technology all change almost every decade. So good luck with that old combat training. I am sure it was well worth it for the purpose and time it was given.

Lastly, if it wasn't for the whole region's destabilization, the Israelis would've patrolled your airspace like they go over Gaza. of course you guys have heavily invested in the air defense but the Israelis were ready to accept a few losses. So that's reality that they can established air dominance within the Iranian airspace.
Now getting to Pakistan, they have a very professional, well trained and experienced air force. They would probably eat IRAF's lunch and then come back to take the dinner away too.
You are forgetting strong AEW - AWACS capability, multiple top line BVR platforms that are MUCH different and advanced then Phoenix. Integrated battle space management Radars, UAC's SAMs all working together. Their standoff weapons, meaning they don't even need to come inside your territory a whole lot. If they keep a 200 mile area bogged down with standoff munitions to over 60-100 miles from the border, what are you going to do? Chase a ghost q00 miles away??
Bad topic and unjust comparison.

Last edited:
Finally, comparing IRIAF and PAF is neither fair nor wise, because they have different goals, training programs and logistics.

Yes, it is unfair and unwise - Iran and Pakistan are not enemies, and have a history of military co-operation. The OP, it would appear, created a new account just for this thread - makes you wonder what the real intention was.

Present geopolitical realities aside, the one plausible scenario in which such a comparison could become an issue is if outside forces succeed in pushing through with their Shia-Sunni sectarian exploitation agenda to such an extent that the Pak-Iran border becomes contentious. It is in both our interests to ensure that this never becomes reality. We should instead work towards an era where Iran works with Pakistan (and even other Sunni countries) to prevent outside meddling, no matter whether that comes from the usual US/UK/Israeli axis or their chosen partners in the region. A Pak-Iran military pact would surely take the wind out of their sails for good - there is always strength in unity, not division.

This is not a Fair Comparison , you cannot compare PAF to IRAF ( no Disrespect intended ) Just Like you cannot Compare USAF with any Air Force ( Except Russia and may be China )

On the other Hand their Doctrine is different , they never thought they will win a Air War with any of the Good Air Forces , so they concentrated on Ground Air Defense which sadly is not progressing as the intended to at the start .

This is not a Fair Comparison , you cannot compare PAF to IRAF ( no Disrespect intended ) Just Like you cannot Compare USAF with any Air Force ( Except Russia and may be China )
iran being US and pakistan being russia ? yes , thats true
1) The F-14 was NEVER replaced by the F-22. It was replaced by the F-18A Hornet, later version became Super Hornet. The F-22 replaced the higher tier of the US air force....aka, the F-15.
who says that F-15 is a higher tier of fighter ?

read these :

F-14 vs F-15 - Difference and Comparison | Diffen
164-1 F-14 kill ratio claim? - Military Aircraft of the Cold War
interesting comments here as well : F-14 vs. F-15

2) The F-14 is old and so is the F-16....how so? How many F-14's (outside of Iran) are being used as a front line fighter vs. the F-16's?? There are OVER 4000 -16's serving in primarily all Western and some Eastern air force. The -16 is a pain in the rear to go against. Whether you sit in an F-14 or an F-15 or an F-18. Pilots despise the event where they have to face the -16. I think you can find some references here on this site too. The F-16 is one of the VERY few HIGHLY Modernized planes since its inception. It started service after simulating dog fights against 69 USAF and USN jets and it won EVERY SINGLE of them. Anyway, you got the point. The F-14 was a heavy carrier interceptor later converted into very limited multirole capability but it was designed pre-jet computing. The F-16 was one of the first aircrafts to have a mathematical DX-4 coprocessor that could do over millions of calculations per second. This was in the early 70's. While the F-14 had virtually no room for redesign and upgrades due to USN only requirements.

look at your logic buddy !! me : F-14 is as old as F-16

you : F-14 is older ,how many F-14s are in service now ? !!!

buddy , the only operators of F-14 were iran and US navy, when US navy retired them the only operator became iran .

US navy faced budget problems or else the F-14 was serving them quite perfectly !!! each F-14 costs about 38 million dollars , which US navy couldnt afford .

i'm sorry buddy , there is this tradition we call sizdah be dar :D , i should head out now , but i liked you .

Sizdah Be-dar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i'll come back and reply with more sources .

Seriously now , and you are a Senior member ..

Sometimes you have to face the reality and accept it , before it knocks on your door .

Haman bacha hain yaar.

Choro bus.

no , for sure not .

we have to work on our air force to make it an offensive one . but there is this simple fact that pakistani air force is a joke compared .
HaHa...You're a funny guy...want to grab a chair and popcorn to read your comments..always make me laugh...
My friend, Actions speak louder than words. Here is the record of our pilots engaging in conflicts with India in 1965 and 1971, Russia over Afghanistan in 1980’s, in 1967 Arab-Israeli war and Arab Israeli skirmishes. Just click the links below the headings . Here are PAF kills

1965 vs India

Air Aces Homepage

1971 vs India

Air Aces Homepage

Dog fights with Russians over Afghanistan

Air Aces Homepage

Arab Israeli Wars and Skirmishes

Air Aces Homepage

Air Aces Homepage
Let me remind you our pilots used russian origin aircraft or Hawker Hunter aircraft of Arab airforces to shoot down Israeli aircraft with which they had no prior experience.

Here is the neutral website from where u can find these kills Air Aces Homepage
PAF pilots have shot down Indian, Russian and Israeli aircraft, pilot names of the downed aircraft are in the links, we did not face ill trained and ill equipped Arab airforces like you guys did, so out combat experience is way more than your pilots. And you tried to compare F-14's with F16 Block 52's..haha...see I told you ...you're a funny guy...I won't waste my time and your time talking about who has better aircraft....lol all the sane members on this forum know the answer.

Here is a picture I took from Iphone, by Alan Warnes, a British Aviation expert, in 2008 Exercise Anatolian Eagle, our pilots using the old F-16 A/B’s scored a 3 out of 3 kill score against Eurofighters , the so called 5th generation fighter. Its on page 49 July 2011 Issue of "Airforces Monthly" magazine which is a reputable International magazine…I can put the whole picture of the whole page if u like, there are 6-8 pages dedicated to PAF and JF 17…and btw now our F16’s are upgraded to F-16 C/D Block 52 level..and we have new Block 52’s as well…see I use facts and historical events to justify my case unlike you Lol..you're a funny guy indeed, please don’t compare Iranian airforce with that of Pakistan…I don’t wanna degrade someone…but by seeing your funny claims, I was forced to mention these facts..btw here is the pic from the page.
photo (7).JPG

Last edited:
Keep discussion with links and data and without one liners and insults -- otherwise it would be closed which I am relucant to do atm as we dont see much activity in the warfare subforum these days

Keep discussion with links and data and without one liners and insults -- otherwise it would be closed which I am relucant to do atm as we dont see much activity in the warfare subforum these days

Sir, If you just want to compare airforces with numbers and tech, then you will get the computer generated answer via probability.

Both airforces are defensive in doctrine.

What exactly is the comparison regarding?

Hypothetical situations?

At the end of the day, numbers are just numbers. Jazba is just Jazba.

I would like your input regarding this since you are far more knowledgeable regarding our air force than me. Which is a shame, since my father served in the PAF.

But I would like to know this. What is the criteria that we are drawing this comparison in?

minimum 38 years - maximum 42 years. They only had around 19/20 operational in early 2013. Not sure how many of the 714 phoenix missiles ordered were received before the revolution in 76, and how many of them are still operational, if Iran had the tech to change to fuel and explosive warheads.

Iranian F-14 Tomcat’s “new” indigenous air-to-air missile is actually an improved AIM-54 Phoenix replica

Fakour-2.jpg

Among the hardware on display during the annual military parade in Tehran, on Sunday Sept. 22, 2013, Iran not only displayed a new indigenous passive phased array radar system for detecting stealth targets and cruise missiles, but it also showed the country’s latest home-made missile productions, including the Fakour-90.

The Fakour-90 missile is one of the latest “state-of-the-art productions” of the Iranian Armed Forces which can be mounted on F-14 fighter jets.

It’s almost identical to the AIM-54 Phoenix and, more than a brand new missile, is just a domestically upgraded, partially reverse engineered version of the famous long range missile carried by the U.S. Navy Tomcat.

The AIM-54 was developed in the mid-sixties and the IRIAF has operated some of them. Even if we can’t talk of a “new missile”, we can’t but notice that the Iranians managed to keep them in service and, maybe, upgrade them a little bit. What’s even more surprising is that Tehran managed to keep the F-14s airworthy, considered the sanctions on Iran and the consequent lack of spare parts for the Tomcats.

The different component is hidden inside the missile’s nose cone and is (probably) a semi-active homing system of the Shalamcheh surface-to-air missile – once again a reverse engineered, improved version of the U.S. MIM-23 Hawk SAM.

The Aviationist » Iranian F-14 Tomcat’s “new” indigenous air-to-air missile is actually an (improved?) AIM-54 Phoenix replica

full-30977-39291-32266_23647.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom