What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

they didn't used them for years and now that we have actual replacement they are using it , those airplanes were not IRIAF choice, they were somehow imposed on them. they have no actual use in combat , it may be possible to modify them to be bomb carrier , but i'm not aware such upgrades and modification actually happened. but they have no role as fighters and I doubt they are good trainer either .
They`d likely have some value as a supersonic trainer,and they`ve also been used to carry the yasin glide bomb,so some value as a stand off weapons carrier.I imagine that the irgc-af could make okay use of them,the iriaf not so much...
EmuZ_Y1W8AASfL3

In truth tho,I`m really not at all surprised that the iriaf didnt think much of them.I mean imagine going from an f4,or worse something totally state of the art like the f14,to a 1970s chinese mig 21 knock off.......that pretty much says it all right there.

They`d likely have some value as a supersonic trainer,and they`ve also been used to carry the yasin glide bomb,so some value as a stand off weapons carrier.I imagine that the irgc-af could make okay use of them,the iriaf not so much...
EmuZ_Y1W8AASfL3

In truth tho,I`m really not at all surprised that the iriaf didnt think much of them.I mean imagine going from an f4,or worse something totally state of the art like the f14,to a 1970s chinese mig 21 knock off.......that pretty much says it all right there.
IRIAF should be grateful...what they're getting comes at a great cost and a lot of blood, sweat and tears. An engine and a fighter aircraft takes decades to develop and the Iranians only properly started in the 2000s.

@Hack-Hook @aryobarzan @TheImmortal

If Kowsar gets a local A2A and A2G weaponry order, what options do we have?

A2A
PL-7C/PL-5C/Fatter Aim-9P/J/R-73E for WVR
R-27E for BVR (or procurement of PL-12 or R-77E)

A2G
Yasin and Balaban PGMs
Zubin, Ghassed, Bina for A2G Missiles

Shahin external Jammer Pod

What else are the options?

I would not rely on ANY foreign PGM/A2A. In a real world conflict, Iran would burn thru it’s arsenal within 2-3 months.

Thus if Iran cannot build its own, it shouldn’t order any. Too risky to assume Russia or China won’t bow to pressure and not resupply Iran during the war.

And if Iran cannot be resupply, then Kowsar becomes a worthless hunk of steel.

@Hack-Hook @aryobarzan @TheImmortal

If Kowsar gets a local A2A and A2G weaponry order, what options do we have?

A2A
PL-7C/PL-5C/Fatter Aim-9P/J/R-73E for WVR
R-27E for BVR (or procurement of PL-12 or R-77E)

A2G
Yasin and Balaban PGMs
Zubin, Ghassed, Bina for A2G Missiles

What else are the options?
I agree with TheImmortal statement...consumables should never be foreign supplied...

I would not rely on ANY foreign PGM/A2A. In a real world conflict, Iran would burn thru it’s arsenal within 2-3 months.

Thus if Iran cannot build its own, it shouldn’t order any. Too risky to assume Russia or China won’t bow to pressure and not resupply Iran during the war.

And if Iran cannot be resupply, then Kowsar becomes a worthless hunk of steel.

Ok but I was asking what local or easy procurement options do we have.

A2A
Foreign origin WVR:

R-73E (All aspect HOBS) >>>> PL-5C > PL-7C
Domestic origin WVR:
Fatter/Azarakhsh (Iranian seeker and motor in Aim-9B body, all-aspect, 35-40 KM)

Foreign origin BVR:
-
R-27E (Available)
-Possible Procurement of PL-12, R-77E
Domestic origin BVR:
-
Fakour (too heavy, RCS issues, Drag issues, not possible on Kowsar)
-Local LR-BVR based on Sayyad SAM (has the speed, range, and dimensions)

A2G/PGM

Bombs

-Yasin
-Balaban
Missiles
Zubin
Ghassed
Bina
Recently unveiled AGM-65 with new seeker

External Jammer

What else ?

IRIAF should be grateful...what they're getting comes at a great cost and a lot of blood, sweat and tears. An engine and a fighter aircraft takes decades to develop and the Iranians only properly started in the 2000s.
Its not a matter of the iriaf being ungrateful,the problem was that the f7 just had extremely limited capabilities and that there simply wasnt very much at all that the iriaf could really do with it operationally.
Its only very recently with the creation of modern iranian extended range air launched stand off weapons that the f7 has some sort of actual useful combat capability,and even then thats only as far as the irgc-af is concerned.

Its not a matter of the iriaf being ungrateful,the problem was that the f7 just had extremely limited capabilities and that there simply wasnt very much at all that the iriaf could really do with it operationally.
Its only very recently with the creation of modern iranian extended range air launched stand off weapons that the f7 has some sort of actual useful combat capability,and even then thats only as far as the irgc-af is concerned.
Don't worry, fam. Things will look up - Iran has cracked the science behind manufacturing low bypass turbofan engines now. Soon enough, there'll be larger and more capable airframes that will be designed and those aircraft will be mated with powerful radars and BVR weaponry.

IRIAF will truly sprout new wings when that day comes in the not-too-distant future.

Don't worry, fam. Things will look up - Iran has cracked the science behind manufacturing low bypass turbofan engines now. Soon enough, there'll be larger and more capable airframes that will be designed and those aircraft will be mated with powerful radars and BVR weaponry.

IRIAF will truly sprout new wings when that day comes in the not-too-distant future.

Merge IRIAF with IRGC-AF (or IRGC command over IRIAF) and you will see all of that happening within 4 years.

Nonsense are the people who still think any military body inside Iran can outperform IRGC.
Wonder what IRGC did with aircraft they poses that defence ministry and airforce didn't do years ago with the ones they poses .

It's a question I asked many times and nobody gave me a convincing answer.

Iran could develop a center line mounted pod that has radar like Russians have developed and produced for some Su-25's.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom