What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

I mean as long as the theaters of war in the middle east they still operate in are under rules of asymmetric engagement, you won't see them investing into platforms with traditional aerial roles. Although maybe they might build AWACS because that has a lot of potential, especially now that the Simorgh has been launched.
You see the problem is simorgh is defence ministry not IRGC.

Please refer to this thread:

While this article is correct that Sipri's number was wrong, there's no way Iran's military budget is only 4-5 billion USD when you look at everything

@Hack-Hook @aryobarzan @TheImmortal

If Kowsar gets a local A2A and A2G weaponry order, what options do we have?

A2A
PL-7C/PL-5C/Fatter Aim-9P/J/R-73E for WVR
R-27E for BVR (or procurement of PL-12 or R-77E)

A2G
Yasin and Balaban PGMs
Zubin, Ghassed, Bina for A2G Missiles

Shahin external Jammer Pod

What else are the options?
Oghab-11 targeting pod

Still failed to answer a simple

I yet to see anything from them in this regard. For god's sake even defence ministry have better percision guided weapon for drones
You do realize the IRGC falls under the defense ministry?

@AmirPatriot @Stryker1982 @Blue In Green @aryobarzan @Hack-Hook

What did I tell you guys?!?!

Looks like some Iranian military engineers read my posts 8-)
This is what we thought would be great too!

Congrats to the regular IRIAF for their work here, they might not have the right aircraft they need, but setting up the infastructure to house a modernized force is great.

Pretty remarkable, the base seems much large in width than a typical IRGC base.

Whats' interesting to me is the walls and roof, IRGC liked to use the original granite rock of the mountain while the Army paved them over.

And good to see Fotros again.

Last edited:
This is what we thought would be great too!

Congrats to the regular IRIAF for their work here, they might not have the right aircraft they need, but setting up the infastructure to house a modernized force is great.

Pretty remarkable, the base seems much large in width than a typical IRGC base.

Whats' interesting to me is the walls and roof, IRGC liked to use the original granite rock of the mountain while the Army paved them over.

And good to see Fotros again.

Yes, good first step. The facility was huge. Could easily fit 24-36 or so F-35 class fighters. Very well built, wide enough to fit a full size fighter jet.

Fortos getting some stand off munitions was long over due. Hopefully they find more use for this drone.

Initially the base might be able to hold the F-14’s of Iran if the need ever arises.

Strategically speaking, which current fighter/attack or UCAV should be housed inside?

Strategically speaking, which current fighter/attack or UCAV should be housed inside?

F-14 and Mig-29’s are the only fighters worth defending during war time as they can defend Iran’s skies and help the air defense force.

UCAVs: the army doesn’t really have any “must have”, the best UAVs are in hands of IRGC.

So army has basically Fotros, Suicide drones, and whatever the predator clone is called. Goal should be to save as many drones as possible.

I would expand the number of bases strategically to cover Iran. At least 6 bases assuming a future expansion of Iranian Air Force.

I assume we will see an IRGC make their own version of these base if they ever decide to build out an airforce as well (rumors are they will).

The IRGC airbases could hold future IRGC UAV heavy bombers and long range strategic drones.

F-14 and Mig-29’s are the only fighters worth defending during war time as they can defend Iran’s skies and help the air defense force.

UCAVs: the army doesn’t really have any “must have”, the best UAVs are in hands of IRGC.

So army has basically Fotros, Suicide drones, and whatever the predator clone is called. Goal should be to save as many drones as possible.

I would expand the number of bases strategically to cover Iran. At least 6 bases assuming a future expansion of Iranian Air Force.

I assume we will see an IRGC make their own version of these base if they ever decide to build out an airforce as well (rumors are they will).

The IRGC airbases could hold future IRGC UAV heavy bombers and long range strategic drones.

I would disagree on which aircraft. IRIAF has invested heavily in the F-4E fleet with upgrades with confirmed AShCM and possible A2A weaponry. We know IRIAF loves American aircrafts.
Also if Kowsar has been fully operationalized with procured BVR in near future then it will value as much as current small MIG fleet (23 airframes; 19 operational). Air International article said that IRIAF deployed F-14AM (4), MIG-29 (3) and Kowsar (2 including 3-7401) at TAB-2 during Nagorno Karabakh war which was 2 years back. This shows which aircrafts IRIAF will use for A2A role in future.

only drones and as I didn't saw the exact layout of the exit probably mohajer 6, ababil variants and Kaman-12 also Arash and Kyan and Karrar . if the exit is so that can also support safe operation like UAVs like Kaman-22 and Fotros you can also park those inside but i still have my doubts about this being suitable for safe operation of those.
about manned air vehicle . you must look at what you call strategic aircraft. traditionally bombers are called strategic aircraft , i don't have problem with putting those aircraft there that include our Su-22, Su-24 and f-4 .
our fleet of F-5, Saeqe and Kowsar don't have the necessary range while carrying traditional wartime payload so they must dispersed around the country to be near operational scenario.
now remain the case of F-14 and Mig-29 i think they also must be kept outside around the country in various airfields in war time , in peace time you can keep them inside these bases . but as defcon increase they must be send around the country .

all these in case of the exit of these bases designed for safe operation of such airplanes

Fortos getting some stand off munitions was long over due. Hopefully they find more use for this drone.
they introduced those cruise missile for UAVs , but one good use for them is putting them on F-5 it increase their survivability and operational usefulness

Initially the base might be able to hold the F-14’s of Iran if the need ever arises.
these base are more suitted for strategic bombers and in case of our country , the bombers include Su-22, Su-24 and F-4 and mirage-F1 if somebody decide to give them the upgrade su-22 and f-4 recieved

our must diverse UAV is Karrar which is a defense ministry UAV , and I believe if modified accordingly can fill our air force lack of equipment dealing with enemy middle sized UAVs and if used wisely even airplanes
also they have some of our best suicide UAVs and the back bone of our UAV fleet is Mohajer-6 not Shahed variant which also army poses

well these bases more suited for them as they basically had a bomber fleet

I would disagree on which aircraft. IRIAF has invested heavily in the F-4E fleet with upgrades with confirmed AShCM and possible A2A weaponry. We know IRIAF loves American aircrafts.
Also if Kowsar has been fully operationalized with procured BVR in near future then it will value as much as current small MIG fleet (23 airframes; 19 operational). Air International article said that IRIAF deployed F-14AM (4), MIG-29 (3) and Kowsar (2 including 3-7401) at TAB-2 during Nagorno Karabakh war which was 2 years back. This shows which aircrafts IRIAF will use for A2A role in future.
the only plane that we have which can feel those rrole is F-14 and Mig-29 and now that F-5 have an actual radar you can add kowsar to that . F-1 could do that if maintained properly but it is abandoned , so only those 3 .

by the way its not the case of IRIAF like american aircraft because they are American they simply have better avionic and electronics and they are more compatible with our inventory. if you want look objectively even modern Chinese airplane have better electronic than Russian.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom