What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

I would disagree on which aircraft. IRIAF has invested heavily in the F-4E fleet with upgrades with confirmed AShCM and possible A2A weaponry. We know IRIAF loves American aircrafts.
Also if Kowsar has been fully operationalized with procured BVR in near future then it will value as much as current small MIG fleet (23 airframes; 19 operational). Air International article said that IRIAF deployed F-14AM (4), MIG-29 (3) and Kowsar (2 including 3-7401) at TAB-2 during Nagorno Karabakh war which was 2 years back. This shows which aircrafts IRIAF will use for A2A role in future.

An F-4 ain’t even sniffing a F-16 let alone engaging it. And a civilian truck layout can fire AsHCM or an underground launcher.

If space is a priority you take F-14 and MIG-29. Literally every airforce commander would agree.

And Kowsar would fail against an F-16 and has little speed to escape. F-16 can detect it way before Kowsar can and fire BVR from much longer range.

our fleet of F-5, Saeqe and Kowsar don't have the necessary range while carrying traditional wartime payload so they must dispersed around the country to be near operational scenario.
now remain the case of F-14 and Mig-29 i think they also must be kept outside around the country in various airfields in war time , in peace time you can keep them inside these bases . but as defcon increase they must be send around the country .

Kowsar with 2 x WVR Fatter and 2 x BVR (let's say PL-12) + a single underbelly tank has enough range (2000+ km) to complement F-14 AM and MIGs in the air. Plus its modern avionics suite will shed off load from F-14s.

2 x F-14AM armed with 2 x Fatter + 4 x Fakour-90
2 x MIG-29 armed with 2 x R-73E + 4 x R-27E
4 Kowsar-I armed with 2 x Fatter + 2 x PL-12 (if they procure it)

supported by Datalinking from khatam al anbiya network of G-WACS Sepeher, Nazir, Asr and ground batteries of S-300, Bavar-373, Talaash System LORADS + TOR M1/2, Pantsir SHORADS.

That's a formidable interceptor party for any regional airforce. Air international article says IRIAF operated same way during Azeri rep. Armenian war.

also they have some of our best suicide UAVs and the back bone of our UAV fleet is Mohajer-6 not Shahed variant which also army poses

Backbone is Shahed. It saw extensive war experience in Syria and Shaheed series as well in ISIS retribution attacks.

Mohajer-6 has just been getting delivered so not sure how it’s been the “backbone” of our fleet. Also I have seen more videos of Mohajer’s crashed inside iran/Pakistan/Iraq than actually engaging in any sort of combat.

Karrar is former target drone that has been modified. So take that for what you will.

Suicide drones are again IRGC speciality not IRIAF. The ones used in Armaco and elsewhere where IRGC. IRGC has drones that can infiltrate and operate behind enemy lines relatively undetected.

Mohajer-6 and Ababil-5 are front line drones made for engaging in front line warfare from a close distance. Thus they need dont need to be kept in mountain airbases, which would only reduce their range as these types of bases are usually not close to the border.

It’s more important to protect long range drones with stand off munitions like Fotros with 200KM CM and Predator clone (for IRIAF).

Last edited:
An F-4 ain’t even sniffing a F-16 let alone engaging it. And a civilian truck layout can fire AsHCM or an underground launcher.

If space is a priority you take F-14 and MIG-29. Literally every airforce commander would agree.

And Kowsar would fail against an F-16 and has little speed to escape. F-16 can detect it way before Kowsar can and fire BVR from much longer range.

you do not have the concept of the integrated air battle approach. You think people will pit one fighter vs one fighter during war conflict which never happens. An F-16 will be seen from hundreds of km away by our radar networks and will be fired upon by probably a dozen of missiles from SHORADS and BVR engagers in the sky before it reaches near its BVR engagement range and even if it somehow does, Kowsar has an RCS of 1-2 m2 and itself a radar range of 93 KM, it's not easy to be detected considering its low RCS while it can see others with larger RCS 93 KM away while also taking data from Ground radar. Thai, Brazilians are not mad that they are still retaining this airframe while you here are canceling it.

Kowsar with 2 x WVR Fatter and 2 x BVR (let's say PL-12) + a single underbelly tank has enough range (2000+ km) to complement F-14 AM and MIGs in the air. Plus its modern avionics suite will shed off load from F-14s.

2 x F-14AM armed with 2 x Fatter + 4 x Fakour-90
2 x MIG-29 armed with 2 x R-73E + 4 x R-27E
4 Kowsar-I armed with 2 x Fatter + 2 x PL-12 (if they procure it)

supported by Datalinking from khatam al anbiya network of G-WACS Sepeher, Nazir, Asr and ground batteries of S-300, Bavar-373, Talaash System LORADS + TOR M1/2, Pantsir SHORADS.

That's a formidable interceptor party for any regional airforce. Air international article says IRIAF operated same way during Azeri rep. Armenian war.

In that scenario, the Kowsars are “bait” while the air fighters do their work.

Same tactic was used in Iran-Iraq war to pull the enemy’s fighters and air defense focus away from the true fighter task force.

Thai, Brazilians are not mad that they are still retaining this airframe while you here are canceling it.

They are retaining it due to cost and it’s Brazil. Who are they going to be fighting exactly that they need expensive top of the line fighters? Not every country can splurge on F-35’s.

Yes, I am cancelling it because people like you keep trying to make a 1960’s aircraft be something it’s not. Not because it doesn’t have value within Iran’s airforce....it does.

If it were that easy every country in the world would just fight their adversaries with their Yak-130’s and Advanced trainers. Life doesn’t work that way.

F-5 is an F-5 aerodynamically and kinetically. An F-35 has radar of 250+ KM and even Nebo isn’t detecting it till maybe 75KM more likely 50KM in a stealth loadout.

The only way F-5 survives is hanging in a air defense zone and flying low to avoid radars. It may get lucky. If it flies in a formation of Mig and F-14, then it will be used as bait to draw out the enemy in the area.

you do not have the concept of the integrated air battle approach. You think people will pit one fighter vs one fighter during war conflict which never happens.

It’s happening in Ukraine right now. So again, you are incorrect.

no its not that simple , that configuration have far less combat range , that one is even more than ferry range with that configuration

these are for F-5
Range with maximum fuel -- 1387 miles.
Combat radius with maximum payload -- 195 miles
Combat radius with maximum fuel and two 530-pound bombs 558 miles.

good reading on the matter if you interested but a little lengthy

no Iran don't need Mountain base as they will be make inoperable in first day of war .
they were good at 50s,60,s and probably 70s but advance in technologies and rise of satellite and guided and glide ammunition made them obsolete nobody is building them anymore.

@Hack-Hook this was you on May 2nd discrediting the idea of mountain airbases. Many posts on and after this date telling us how Hollywood America Military will obliterate everything with pinpoint accuracy (Of course i countered the points you made including your idea of 200+ Mini airbases).

It doesn’t seem like you should now be telling us what SHOULD be inside that mountain airbase.

Thankfully Iran has sane military engineers that don’t believe in fairytales by Hollywood and push the limits of military facility structural engineering.

Backbone is Shahed. It saw extensive war experience in Syria and Shaheed series as well in ISIS retribution attacks.
they are not even 1 in 4 compared to Mohajer series

@Hack-Hook this was you on May 2nd discrediting the idea of mountain airbases. Many posts on and after this date telling us how Hollywood America Military will obliterate everything with pinpoint accuracy (Of course i countered the points you made including your idea of 200+ Mini airbases).

It doesn’t seem like you should now be telling us what SHOULD be inside that mountain airbase.

Thankfully Iran has sane military engineers that don’t believe in fairytales by Hollywood and push the limits of military facility structural engineering.
as i say and i still say mountain base are for drone and at most strategic bomber .
and as you see no fighter inside them. so still my point of view is more in line with IRIAF view not yours . so till you show us any evidence of Mig-29 or F-14 inside them it seems its not your place to tell us what must be kept inside them

and those sane military engineers decided to keep these bases for drones

Last edited:
By the way guys, IRIB has just chosen another fucker as military reporter, who not only doesn't know any military gear, can't even report what he has been told! He called Qaem-9 bomb as a equivalent to hellfire missile! while the word Shafaq is written on the missile.

remind me of the other fucker in IRINN who was saying Qadir radar can rotate 360 degree!!!

they are not even 1 in 4 compared to Mohajer series

as i say and i still say mountain base are for drone and at most strategic bomber .
and as you see no fighter inside them. so still my point of view is more in line with IRIAF view not yours . so till you show us any evidence of Mig-29 or F-14 inside them it seems its not your place to tell us what must be kept inside them

and those sane military engineers decided to keep these bases for drones

1) Mohajer-6 has a range less than 130 miles. Keeping it in an mountain airbase that is at least that much away from the Iranian border is logistically not sound unless enemy is already within Iran’s borders.(highly unlikely)

2) It is not war time and thus there is no need to put F-14’s into the base when pilots need their training and hours (same goes for MIGs).

You don’t built a mountain airbase that big and wide if you don’t plane to have fighter jets in their during war time.

Expect to see more of these bases pop up. As Iran is surrounded by mountains.

By the way guys, IRIB has just chosen another fucker as military reporter, who not only doesn't know any military gear, can't even report what he has been told! He called Qaem-9 bomb as a equivalent to hellfire missile! while the word Shafaq is written on the missile.

remind me of the other fucker in IRINN who was saying Qadir radar can rotate 360 degree!!!

1) he gives timing of how far the mountain base is from the airbase they took off. Add in capability of a bell helicopter you can deduce max radius of said location.

2) the video shows a fire extinguisher with the name of a nearby city within said radius. Furthermore reducing area.

OSINT now already has a rough idea of general location. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a full location reveal in coming weeks.

So much for “secret” military base.

in the video i see both qaem series of bomb and shafaq . maybe when they edited the video the audio video just come out of sync

Mohajer-6 has a range less than 130 miles. Keeping it in an mountain airbase that is at least that much away from the Iranian border is logistically not sound unless enemy is already within Iran’s borders.(highly unlikely)
who told you it has a range of 130km. it direct control must be around 200km away . also the same goes for shahed-129 . as like shahed-129 it has ins and gps guidance . and the range don't determine if its back bone of our uav fleet or not. the operational abilities tell you that . it has endurance and attack capabilities for that in acceptable price . its like the case of Ankay and Bayraktar for turkey

by the way go and look at it and see what you see inside it , the majority id Ababil and Mohajer and Karrar
It is not war time and thus there is no need to put F-14’s into the base when pilots need their training and hours (same goes for MIGs).
when they were put in those bases call me. by the way your excuses defeat your argument . we were talking about these bases
for protecting asset in case of enemy surprise first strike . by your argument these weapons must survive the first strike so they can be transferred later to these bases.
You don’t built a mountain airbase that big and wide if you don’t plane to have fighter jets in their during war time.
the most devastating operation of our airforce against iraq Army was attacking on H-3 and destroying their bombing fleet , not destroying their fighter and interceptor. they have less value than bombers and transport in wartime .

Expect to see more of these bases pop up. As Iran is surrounded by mountains.
expect them filled with UAVS

Karrar is former target drone that has been modified. So take that for what you will.
the same shell, different internal

Suicide drones are again IRGC speciality not IRIAF. The ones used in Armaco and elsewhere where IRGC. IRGC has drones that can infiltrate and operate behind enemy lines relatively undetected.
look at the base and the list of drones there . flying wing is IRGC specialty not suicide drone , defense ministry have various type of suicide and swarm drones that are AI controlled

1) he gives timing of how far the mountain base is from the airbase they took off. Add in capability of a bell helicopter you can deduce max radius of said location.

2) the video shows a fire extinguisher with the name of a nearby city within said radius. Furthermore reducing area.

OSINT now already has a rough idea of general location. I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a full location reveal in coming weeks.

So much for “secret” military base.
To be fair, a mountain facility like this should be pretty well spotted by US sats.

The construction footprint would be quite large, think of all the debris piles to be collected let alone vehicles etc...

Their would be alot of forensic evidence of construction but the intent would not be clear till now. More of a secret to civilians and less so to military intelligence of USA/Israel.

Hi guys;

Making a bit of OSINT in Google maps, and watching closely the Isfahan AB I found something interesting;

1.- See at least 4 F14s are out of the armored shelters. May be indicative about a certain (good in my oppinion) level of readiness.

2.- What are those small VLJ aircraft?. Those seems to be discarded or storaged. HESA Dorna?.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom