What's new

Iran's Infrastructure projects...

I fully agree with you salar...for some one who regularly traveled between Shiraz and Tehran with my private auto (once every two months) in 1978,1979..I can tell you this..Shiraz to Isfahan two way road in good condition...Isfahan to Qom...may be 20 km of divided highway the rest two way...I could see the qom Tehran freeway being built but by the revolution still not open....Tehran Karaj was fully done toll divided highway...Karaj- qazveen...partially done.

Inside Tehran no more that 50 km divided and one overpass built by Europeans !!!! And the decking was metal with special coating and Iran had problem recoating that!!!...

What I see now in Tehran alone my head spins..so they sure did a good job with the roads..

Those of us who are old enough to have seen with our own eyes in what state Iran used to be prior to the Revolution, the contrast between the cultivated image and what lied beneath, can grasp the extent of the progress made - under sanctions, under threats, under constant demonization and destabilization attempts by the world's biggest powers. You just summarized it perfectly in a few sentences. And what you described, was the case of practically every sector in Iran.

Younger generations may be susceptible to the programs of foreign-sponsored Persian-language media and the elderly monarchists who appear in them, who of course will not deliver an objective presentation of things. The opposite side has not been so active in balancing out this biased storytelling, and/or has not been featured by these media.

China actually doesn't belong to planet earth 🤣, beating everyone in every field, so SalarHaqq point still stands.
in your calculation the amount of highway needed is not included , for example if you consider the density of highways iran is 134th in the world , united state 70 and EU between 41 and 42 well on other hand Bahrain 5th . now if bahrain don't build any new highway in the next 30 year can you say their infrastructure on this regard lacking
now if you consider the amount of freeways then china is 1st USA 2nd and EU 3rd

in your calculation the amount of highway needed is not included , for example if you consider the density of highways iran is 134th in the world , united state 70 and EU between 41 and 42 well on other hand Bahrain 5th . now if bahrain don't build any new highway in the next 30 year can you say their infrastructure on this regard lacking
now if you consider the amount of freeways then china is 1st USA 2nd and EU 3rd

That's a pretty useless indicator. Density of highways by surface area says nothing if population density isn't factored in. Furthermore, population distribution across the national territory must also be taken into account (if, say, the population is concentrated in one corner of the country, with the rest of it being empty of people, then one doesn't need an elevated highway density).

Bahrein's population density is around 40 times greater than Iran's. Belgium's is more than 7 times that of Iran. All that said, I doubt the ranking which puts Iran in 134th position is correct. There are plenty of countries in the developing world that have smaller highway density than Iran. Surely dozens in Africa alone. So that seems like an incorrect figure to me.

No matter how one will try to spin it: the Islamic Republic's track record in road and highway construction over the past 43 years is hardly matched other than by China. Iran ranks among the top few countries in terms of total length of highways constructed over this period and this is a fact.

Last edited:
That's a pretty useless indicator. Density of highways by surface area says nothing if population density isn't factored in.
I pointed to that by bringing forward bahrain case , also the amount of highway built tell you nothing if you already built those roads 50 years ago.

the amount of highway built tell you nothing if you already built those roads 50 years ago.

It is as if they built them a second time. So it does tell something.

I'm fine with comparing overall road construction though:

1643410979928.png

What this implies, is that the pace of road construction in general (all types of roads) has skyrocketed under the Islamic Republic. And that it's been sustained enough to place Iran among the world's top countries in this regard.

It is as if they built them a second time. So it does tell something.

I'm fine with comparing overall road construction though:

View attachment 811822

What this implies, is that the pace of road construction in general (all types of roads) has skyrocketed under the Islamic Republic. And that it's been sustained enough to place Iran among the world's top countries in this regard.
and what tell you if the revolution didn't happened , we had more , after all at the end of Pahlavi the building process of Iran infrastructure have sped up and many of these highway you mentioned are the ones which were planned before revolution ?
I still think its not appropriate comparing before revolution to after revolution .

and what tell you if the revolution didn't happened , we had more , after all at the end of Pahlavi the building process of Iran infrastructure have sped up and many of these highway you mentioned are the ones which were planned before revolution ?

Many of the highways Iran has today had not been planned before the Revolution. And, planning them is the easy part, executing projects is what ultimately matters.

Secondly, history-fiction is generally speaking an unscientific exercise. I can counter that since during 58 years of Pahlavi regime, road construction was slow most of the time, another 43 years of the same regime would have yielded similar results over the entire period of time (i.e. just a few years of relatively rapid construction, and decades of dragging).

Thirdly, I can substantiate this hypothesis by the fact that it was only as a result of the 1973 oil shock that the Pahlavi regime managed to make some serious progress in infrastructure development. And there haven't been other such events since then, if we leave aside the 1979 oil crisis which was caused precisely because of the Islamic Revolution. Moreover, the shah regime was incapable of correctly managing and exploiting even the post-'73 oil boon: indeed, after 4 years of considerable growth, a phenomenon of economic overheating set in, as a result of which the Iranian economy experienced a slowdown and a crisis in 1977-1978, with various indicators on their way down. Which, incidentally, is regarded by various historians as one of the triggers for the 1979 Islamic Revolution, although it wasn't the main one.

Fourthly, infrastructure construction in Iran during the later period of the Pahlavi monarchy still did not surpass the speeds experienced under the Islamic Republic.

I still think its not appropriate comparing before revolution to after revolution .

More so than operating projections based on "what if" scenarios. Performances of successive political systems can and should be compared. As a matter of fact, that's something academics do not shy away from. To ask oneself under which of the two political systems Iran experienced greater development is a legitimate endeavor, and based on the available hard data the answer is clear too.

Last edited:
More good news for Iran's mining sector...

$2.2 billion dollars of mining operations come on stream this week.

1643809316677.png

One of the smartest decisions Iran made many years ago to convert the entire consumer and industry energy needs into "natural gas"...Idea was simple ..Use the gas and sell the oil.
If this was not done , the domestic needs for energy would have consumed all the oil Iran produces ( current domestic consumption of oil is 2 million barrels per day or half of Iran's oil production).

Iran's national gas distribution network at 100% coverage in 2 years
  • in 2021, 96% of the country’s population enjoyed natural gas through pipelines.Iran's 96 percent of population benefitting from natural gas is a unique statistic in the world.
  • Currently, 1,260 cities and more than 35,000 villages in the country enjoy natural gas through the national network. Only a few cities and about 7,000 villages across the country have not been supplied with gas through the pipeline network.
  • over the past eight years about $1.45 billion has been invested in the development of the national gas network in Iran.
1643983665858.png

New Raisi government is busy indeed!:woot:

Iran launches a massive ($17 billion dollar) Industrial development plan
  • $ 17 billion dollars domestic investment funds
  • Participation of multiple large Industrial groups
  • 48 individual industrial projects
  • projects will produce 54 million tons of minerals, metals and petroleum products
  • Generate $20 billion dollars annual income
  • Generates 21000 direct and 64000 indirect jobs
1644151993998.png

Last edited:

• projects will produce 54 million tons of minerals, metals and petroleum products
View attachment 813540
Rather they finish the half finished project from previous governments.

View attachment 813540

Exactly what's needed: more, not less, government intervention in the economy. More government backing for industrial, agricultural and infrastructural projects. It's the only way forward for Iran.

Rather they finish the half finished project from previous governments.
Which ones are these?,I mean apart from ones such as the lng side of south pars,which couldnt be completed owing to a virtual western monopoly on the technology needed.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom