What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

Today wandering around the web I met this video concerning the "Umkhonto IR" system on board the Meko-200 of the Algerian Navy and it came to my mind that in the recent past it seemed that this system was also of interest to Iran, some of the users of this forum has news if today, with the end of the UN ban on the sale and purchase of weapons, this VLS system "Umkhonto IR" is still on the agenda of a possible agreement with South Africa. It would appear to be a very compact system that could easily adapt to Iran's naval units
Thanks in advance for a possible answer

Today wandering around the web I met this video concerning the "Umkhonto IR" system on board the Meko-200 of the Algerian Navy and it came to my mind that in the recent past it seemed that this system was also of interest to Iran, some of the users of this forum has news if today, with the end of the UN ban on the sale and purchase of weapons, this VLS system "Umkhonto IR" is still on the agenda of a possible agreement with South Africa. It would appear to be a very compact system that could easily adapt to Iran's naval units
Thanks in advance for a possible answer

I vaguely remember a news article here not long after jcpoa regarding that with the main reason being that it could be fitted to a compact naval platform. Since then there has been the new Kamin/Mersad 2 along with 15th Khordad and Bavar. Iran has all the capabilities and pre existing tech in place to make this system today. Navalized Kamin 2 & Sayyad 2 tied to cheshmeh oghab and asr radars for future vessels would be a better investment. They only need to adapt those missiles for vls.

yes, I had guessed well, 8-) who knows what it carries ?
e51d81858308ecd38c4b9b6fa8425df6o.jpg

and a look towards the bow
301c67dd957ce4b6bfd8e777ba1d29d4o.jpg
Hi picture in red circle looks like a truck mounted may be a SAM or some long range missile if I’m not wrong
thank you

Interview with Khanzadi:

Good points on this video:

- Telemedicine and tele surgery is available on the ship.
- Seven heavy helicopters can be carried.
- Some AD is available but will be completed with more AD and Gatling-type guns.
- 80 by 40 m helo deck
- Helicopter Hangar will be added.
- Command center will be changed to the top of the hangar.
- Drone support is only for jet powered UAVs.

Regarding tele surgery, this option is the only available option AFAIK.

This robot is from a start up called sinamed.ir

Last edited:
Some points from above interview:

1- Makran-2 is already being worked on.
2- Makran-1 has good E-warfare and intelligence gathering/relaying capability.
3- Project Negin will begin its construction in the year 1400, the underlying electric propulsion systems, air defence etc are at a good stage or ready.
4- Two Fateh submarine are in manufacturing stage and the Navy has asked for their production to speed up.

Sadly no question has asked regarding Besat submarine or the navy's supersonic cruise missile projects.

- Some AD is available but will be completed with more AD and Gatling-type guns.
- 80 by 40 m helo deck

Regarding tele surgery, this option is the only available option AFAIK.

This robot is from a start up called sinamed.ir
Theirs definetly alot of work remaining on this ship. No need to release it so early, we all knew that it required a helo hangar.

- 80 by 40 m helo deck
you can be sure these also will be added to Shahid Roudaki. and the deck of that ship don't remain as such mess as the time of its unveiling .
Theirs definetly alot of work remaining on this ship. No need to release it so early, we all knew that it required a helo hangar.
damn that helo hanger , you must install at least 4 kamand and some Airdefense on it as soon as possible . the ship seriously need a cannon and it has space for all those and even more . if Somali pirates want to attack the ship as its now the only defense it have is that the sailors get their hand guns and shoot back at them over the rail.

compare it with 44 year old IRIS Kharg which is smaller and still carry (its at least 1/4th in size)
  • 1 × OTO Melara 76 mm/62 gun
  • 4 × USSR 23 mm/80 guns
  • 2 × 12.7mm machine guns

Last edited:
Admiral Khanzandi did state that corona required that this vessel be available asap as Iran could no longer count on ports outside of Iran and the instability in Yemen and increased attacks against shipping in the Red Sea precipitated the need for this and the other floating bases. Makran 2 is currently being fitted out as well. I don't remember ever hearing of so many ships this size for the IRIN so soon until this past year; I believe corona being the main catalyst for these.

The sheer courage and audacity of the small and weakened Iranian Navy during the Jange Tahmili is an epic in human bravery that is taught even in western naval academies. Two Iranian frigates challenged the might of the US cowards who were attacking unarmed civilians oil platforms in the North Persian Gulf to strangle Iranian economy, the Sahand and Sabalan departed Bandar Abbas and challenged elements of an American surface group. Despite overwhelming odds stacked against them they kept on attacking the US aggressors and even downed a helicopter. The Sahand went down fighting till the last minute before being hit by missiles and air attack. Fires blazing on Sahand's decks eventually reached her munitions magazines, causing an explosion that sank her. This should be remembered as a true epic of Persian courage depicted in the Shahnameh. God bless the marytrs of Iran.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom