What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

The IRGC transformed ship which is identical to Makran has AShBM, AShCM, CIWS, small boats protecting it, air defense systems and in the end drones/heli as its eyes and ears in the Middle of Indian ocean.
Do you mean the Shaid Roudaki or the Saviz? Shahid Roudaki is a bit smaller but is outfitted with the weapons you mention whereas the Saviz is currently operating under the cover of a merchant ship in the Red sea and therefore the armaments are purposely minimum for the time being. I don't know of another vlcc converted to naval use other than the Makran.

Last edited:
CIWS and VLS are cool but not deterrent.
I agree with your overall point but these system are more than cool, they are needed for proper blue water navy that they are becoming. Even green water navies need these assets. I'm sure the Makran will either be outfitted some sort of self defense systems soon and/or it will typically be accompanied by either Alvands or Sinas and a maybe a sub occasionally to add further protection, while the ship itself allows for these smaller vessels to operate and train crews further out than they could normally go. In essence the Makran is a heavier version of Kharg with more capabilities. I personally want to see helo hangars (even a telescopic small one) as much as air defenses on this asap. Also, advanced radars onboard could provide forward eyes for the overall National Air Defense Grid and navalized Bavar or 3rd/!5th Khordad systems could be tied into the grid in real time, giving Iran real time coverage much farther out.

What can Bavar 373 do when it is saturated with missiles?

We will lose every big naval asset in the first few hours. They will lose it too if they are close to our shores. Even Diego Garcia is not safe for them.

Early warning is important though. At least you can start leveling their infrastructures around earlier.

Deterrence comes from the ability to smash every single industry center, gas, oil, water and power infrastructure.

You should probably learn about RCS on surface ships along with curvature of the Earth before making such comments. If the entire battle takes place in the PG then yes this point is relatively mute. But if it takes place in Indian Ocean then it isn’t as easy as you think to sink an armada.

With your logic why do US/China/Russia continue to build warships at a blistering pace?

RCS reduced cruisers and destroyers mean they cannot be easily detected and targeted unless within <X KM of the target. And if the target has a Bavar 373 system alongside a CIWS and future laser system then the chances of destroying the target drop considerably. Sure you could shoot a bunch of cruise missiles at a moving target from 200-300KM away, but it’s not going to be that easy to sink it.

Consider the expensive Zumwalt destroyer. It has an RCS of a small fishing boat. Iran would struggle immensely to sink it in open water.

I agree with your overall point but these system are more than cool, they are needed for proper blue water navy that they are becoming. Even green water navies need these assets. I'm sure the Makran will either be outfitted some sort of self defense systems soon and/or it will typically be accompanied by either Alvands or Sinas and a maybe a sub occasionally to add further protection, while the ship itself allows for these smaller vessels to operate and train crews further out than they could normally go. In essence the Makran is a heavier version of Kharg with more capabilities. I personally want to see helo hangars (even a telescopic small one) as much as air defenses on this asap. Also, advanced radars onboard could provide forward eyes for the overall National Air Defense Grid and navalized Bavar or 3rd/!5th Khordad systems could be tied into the grid in real time, giving Iran real time coverage much farther out.

I am all for having custom built ships with all the gadgets. Yet, when you want to also do a budget optimization, I would be hesitant.

Sabalan was one of the best ships of its time. It was hit in the first minute of the war. We still do not know how we were shot. We think maybe Mark82.

I love the likes of Roudaki despite all its drawbacks because of the price and its effective mothership roles.

You should probably learn about RCS on surface ships along with curvature of the Earth before making such comments. If the entire battle takes place in the PG then yes this point is relatively mute. But if it takes place in Indian Ocean then it isn’t as easy as you think to sink an armada.

With your logic why do US/China/Russia continue to build warships at a blistering pace?

RCS reduced cruisers and destroyers mean they cannot be easily detected and targeted unless within <X KM of the target. And if the target has a Bavar 373 system alongside a CIWS and future laser system then the chances of destroying the target drop considerably. Sure you could shoot a bunch of cruise missiles at a moving target from 200-300KM away, but it’s not going to be that easy to sink it.

Consider the expensive Zumwalt destroyer. It has an RCS of a small fishing boat. Iran would struggle immensely to sink it in open water.

RCS is for radar imaging only. You have to evade optical and IR drones and satellites and also sonars. In Persian Gulf and our side of Indian Ocean it is tough to hide.

Low RCS is just one dimension.

Last edited:
Do you mean the Shaid Roudaki or the Saviz? Shahid Roudaki is a bit smaller but is outfitted with the weapons you mention whereas the Saviz is currently operating under the cover of a merchant ship in the Red sea and therefore the armaments are purposely minimum for the time being. I don't know of another vlcc converted to naval use other than the Makran.
It was Roudaki, i was referring to one of IRGC generals Tangsiri if im not mistaken, said that this naval vessel can carry any kind of missiles that one could imagine. That gave me a hint that it can carry/launch various kinds of surface2 suface missiles. From cruise to ballistic ones, even torpedos such as Hoot.

Roudaki was likely a captured oil tanker. It could not be used as a tanker anymore.

It was fitted with solid AD and radars and likely various types of missiles. It will be a supporting vessel for helicopters and drones and smaller ships. We need motherships for Indian Ocean and Redsea.

This should come for $200 million but it came for $2 million.

Yes, it’s RCS is not optimal but such a mothership is constantly under observation with drones and satellites. They track it constantly.

Roudaki will be lost likely in the first day of a major war, with or without Bavar373.

It was Roudaki, i was referring to one of IRGC generals Tangsiri if im not mistaken, said that this naval vessel can carry any kind of missiles that one could imagine. That gave me a hint that it can carry/launch various kinds of surface2 suface missiles. From cruise to ballistic ones, even torpedos such as Hoot.
Any of those 3 larger ships should be able to. I can imagine Fateh series sealed in canisters like in the missile farms, except modified in vls configuration being a good candidate for starters.

Roudaki was likely a captured oil tanker. It could not be used as a tanker anymore.

It was fitted with solid AD and radars and likely various types of missiles. It will be a supporting vessel for helicopters and drones and smaller ships. We need motherships for Indian Ocean and Redsea.

Yes, it’s RCS is not optimal but such a mothership is constantly under observation with drones and satellites. They track it constantly.

Roudaki will be lost likely in the first day of a major war, with or without Bavar373.

I think Roudaki was the roro transport they bought from Italy and modified to act as a forward base much like Makran. The Saviz is still a bit of a mystery as there only talk of it from outside sources.

Any of those 3 larger ships should be able to. I can imagine Fateh series sealed in canisters like in the missile farms, except modified in vls configuration being a good candidate for starters.

I think Roudaki was the roro transport they bought from Italy and modified to act as a forward base much like Makran. The Saviz is still a bit of a mystery as there only talk of it from outside sources.

Was it bought or captured? If bought then the price should have been higher than 2 million. There is like 2 million gadgets on its board.

From the discussions after Roudaki:
Jeremy Binnie of Jane's Defence Weekly stated that it is likely that she is the former Galaxy F, an Italian-built cargo ship launched in 1992.[3]H. I. Sutton maintains that "we cannot say for certain, at this stage, that it is her. But Galaxy Fis a strong candidate and even if not, the design is essentially identical".[4]

Following such reports, the Italian MP Antonio Zennaro (a member of the Parliamentary Committee for the Security of the Republic) filed a formal interrogation addressing the Italian government,[5] asking it to verify if Shahid Roudaki really was Galaxy F and—if that were the case—if the ship had been sold to the Iranians in contravention to international sanctions against dual-use technology

These are days with a lot of news, pictures of the "Zereh 235", Sina class, I think it is in Bandar Abbas, it is reported that tomorrow there will be more pictures
Also from "hufden" user from Russian site

d68e6583727a571bddf63430265e6104o.jpg

12-9381689-161044880.jpg

Last edited:

It might have weak perfomance but given the missile potential of this ship, it will be capable of hitting ships deep in the Indian ocean it has Long range ballistic missiles playing the role of anti ship assets. It has enough Space for a Long range detection radar. Not to mention that Before Iran develops a ship in the class of destroyers, we cannot expect IRGC to send this ship alone to fight against American fleet. It will be supported from land and sea and the IRGC submarines. IRGC in one case has been so stuffy giving little info about, and Thats their submersible fleet.

Was it bought or captured? If bought then the price should have been higher than 2 million. There is like 2 million gadgets on its board.

From the discussions after Roudaki:
When it was first unveiled there was some online source showing it for sale for $2.75 million and I said then that the price was irresistible bargain and was worth acquiring, even though there is a loss of hard currency. It would taken ages and cost more if it was built in house.

RCS is for radar imaging only. You have to evade optical and IR drones and satellites and also sonars. In Persian Gulf and our side of Indian Ocean it is tough to hide.

Low RCS is just one dimension.

Optical guided missiles and drones still have to enter defense envelope of a Bavar 373/laser system/CIWS/Pantsir system that is now on at least 2-3 cruisers

And real time satellite tracking of naval ships is expensive and will only tell where the target is. It doesn’t magically lead to the target being hit by radar/gps guided missiles.

Even in Iran - Iraq war it was not easy for Iraq to sink Iranian navy via the air and multiple battles took place in PG.

So this fallacy that you fire 50 missiles and sink an aramada is not rooted in reality.

Iran has the upper hand due to anti ship BMs which is very difficult for cruisers to intercept. Thus any future Iranian cruiser could retaliate by firing 3-4 PG missiles at the opposing armada from 250-300KM away.

Against a Mowj vessel yes only a few missiles will sink it, because it is defenseless against a swarm. It’s ment to be apart of a bigger armada and or mostly just coast guard duties anti piracy if alone.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom