What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

I am really wondering which missiles will iran fit on the ship. It's current cruise missiles will need a redesign for them to be launched by a VLS. It's because of the engine underneath the cruise missiles, which would require more room to carry and that means less missiles can be equipped.
I was thinking of the Noor or Qader missiles and whether it's possible to use them in such a system. If the missiles have an algorithm that allows them to attack land based targets then they are not a very bad option although they are smaller in diameter and have much less range.
There is the Quds 1 cruise missile which the Houthis use, which has a range of approximately 600km. The missiles diameter is estimated at 34cm, and the engine is 27cm. It's much smaller than bigger missiles like the Soumar which has a diameter of 54cm. So if iran can alter its design and change the position of the engine so that its behind the missile and that has 1 or 2 air inlets similar to the Noor missile, then it's a very good option to carry on the ship.
The Ya Ali missile isnt bad either if a similar change is done to the engine, but its heavier and thicker, so it will take more space.
Also what about ballistic missiles? Does anyone think they can be fitted on the ship? I think the Raad 500 isnt a bad option if iran is really after ballistic missiles on its ships, as it's made out of composite materials and is much lighter.

Also regarding air defence missiles, I think that the ship will be equipped with a mix of Sayyad 2/3 missiles with TVC for the medium to long range coverage and the iranian Oghab system for the short range coverage.

I am really wondering which missiles will iran fit on the ship. It's current cruise missiles will need a redesign for them to be launched by a VLS. It's because of the engine underneath the cruise missiles, which would require more room to carry and that means less missiles can be equipped.
I was thinking of the Noor or Qader missiles and whether it's possible to use them in such a system. If the missiles have an algorithm that allows them to attack land based targets then they are not a very bad option although they are smaller in diameter and have much less range.
There is the Quds 1 cruise missile which the Houthis use, which has a range of approximately 600km. The missiles diameter is estimated at 34cm, and the engine is 27cm. It's much smaller than bigger missiles like the Soumar which has a diameter of 54cm. So if iran can alter its design and change the position of the engine so that its behind the missile and that has 1 or 2 air inlets similar to the Noor missile, then it's a very good option to carry on the ship.
The Ya Ali missile isnt bad either if a similar change is done to the engine, but its heavier and thicker, so it will take more space.
Also what about ballistic missiles? Does anyone think they can be fitted on the ship? I think the Raad 500 isnt a bad option if iran is really after ballistic missiles on its ships, as it's made out of composite materials and is much lighter.

Also regarding air defence missiles, I think that the ship will be equipped with a mix of Sayyad 2/3 missiles with TVC for the medium to long range coverage and the iranian Oghab system for the short range coverage.
raad possibly is 2-3 tons so yes it might be able to carry decent amount of it

What happened in Yemen ? Saudi Arabia, with the third largest military budget on earth and the best US weapons money can buy, has been HUMILIATED by the Houthi rebels,

who have received a few boat loads of Iranian hand me downs, older weapons.
bro, it wasnt just "A FEW BOATLOADS". Iran definitely spent maybe some billions $ in Yemen. Iran basically transformed Houthis into an Arabian Peninsula Hezbollah in 5-8 years, and thats crazy. Iran sent engineers, design plans, weapons, engines. You are not thinking logistically- TO field a huge force like the Houthis would take some considerable funds, but i dont believe Iran considered those expenditures "pricey". Iran got the Saudis exactly where Iran could drain KSA out slowly, via attrition..

Otherwise, great post. I have also said some of the things you said here, and some people believed it, and some thought it was just fantasy. change is gonna hit their brains so hard.

bro, it wasnt just "A FEW BOATLOADS". Iran definitely spent maybe some billions $ in Yemen. Iran basically transformed Houthis into an Arabian Peninsula Hezbollah in 5-8 years, and thats crazy. Iran sent engineers, design plans, weapons, engines. You are not thinking logistically- TO field a huge force like the Houthis would take some considerable funds, but i dont believe Iran considered those expenditures "pricey". Iran got the Saudis exactly where Iran could drain KSA out slowly, via attrition..

Otherwise, great post. I have also said some of the things you said here, and some people believed it, and some thought it was just fantasy. change is gonna hit their brains so hard.

Keep in mind Yemen was one of the most heavily armed countries on the planet due to decades of coups and civil wars.

Houthi’s also received lavish weapons and support from Saudi Arabia when they teamed up to fight the then government of Saleh during 2000’s.

Houthi’s were long regarded as one of the best guriella fighter groups in the world as again they been fighting for decades similar to Chechens.

I had found this photo of the Damavand-2 and I noticed a tarpaulin covering a part, I think it is the superstructure similar to that made on the Sahand on which the CIWS is installed, but on the Damavand-2 it is much larger, but now that I have I saw this new news, I went to see it again and it occurred to me that perhaps it is in that superstructure that the VLS will be inserted, others could be inserted in the bow
what do you think about it ?

yT2r5zl.png

qZAqUv0.jpg

mxiYBrW.jpg
Could be, but it is quite a complex solution. Having the payload so far from from the ships CG means that the stability of the ship will be altered, more significantly compared to if the payload was closer to CG, for each salvo that is fired. I think that is one of the main reason VLCs are traditionally integrated in the hull and not built in the superstructure. But it does not mean it is impossible and could be done e.g. by utilising both passive and active stability systems.

Actually it is possible for it to have that many launchers. It would depend on the type of missiles used. It might be that 8 of the silos are for land attack/anti ship cruise missiles and the rest are going to be surface to air missiles. But this is just a guess, so we need to wait and see how they will really implement it.

It basically says that the new Damavand 2 ship will use both cold and hot launch for its VLS system. It will have 64 vertical launched missiles as well as the 8 noor cruise missile launchers. It is also equiped with the eagle eye radar which consists of 4 antenas and will be able to view 100 targets and track 3 at the same time. It also says that the ship will be equiped with a CIWS system, long range air defence missiles, land attack cruise missiles, the naval canon and torpedoes. It will have a speed of 30 knots, 20000hp engine, and will weight 1300 tons.
Hi that’s a great help from you to translate the post which will help someone like me to understand
Thank you

This is where it would`ve made far more sense to have kept the original soumar design with its drop down turbofan engine,at least for the navy and also possibly the airforce.Not only would you have had a much more compact weapon for naval vls carriage,but you also would`ve had much greater range with this version [2500kms] and that range would`ve naturally been increased even further when carried by both naval vessels and aircraft.
Theres no reason why a naval version of the mobin could not be developed and carried aboard ship for both antiship and land attack duties,tho a better concept might be an antiship version of the dezful or zulfiqar with their increased ranges.

Here we see the israelis taking a page out of irans book and testing a ballistic antiship missile

This test does not prove it’s for anti ships. It merely proves that a missile used GPS to reach a static target in the water.

Hwo does it perform against moving targets?

Again I wouldn’t be surprised if this uses Iranian technology that has been intercepted in Syria. Wouldn’t be that hard for Israeli commandos to intercept an arms shipment near the Syria and Lebanon border or recover the remains of the F-110 that was fired over the ski resort in recent years.

But Iranian PG missiles uses image seeker or Anti radiation seeker. This appears to be GPS guided.

This test does not prove it’s for anti ships. It merely proves that a missile used GPS to reach a static target in the water.

Hwo does it perform against moving targets?

Again I wouldn’t be surprised if this uses Iranian technology that has been intercepted in Syria. Wouldn’t be that hard for Israeli commandos to intercept an arms shipment near the Syria and Lebanon border or recover the remains of the F-110 that was fired over the ski resort in recent years.

But Iranian PG missiles uses image seeker or Anti radiation seeker. This appears to be GPS guided.
Based on the website below, it has TV guidance as well.
https://missiledefenseadvocacy.org/israels-long-range-artillery-weapon-system-lora/

But iran has better missiles with longer ranges that use IR guidance to find their targets. And this missile is relatively shorter than the Iranian missiles.

Based on the website below, it has TV guidance as well.
https://missiledefenseadvocacy.org/israels-long-range-artillery-weapon-system-lora/

But iran has better missiles with longer ranges that use IR guidance to find their targets. And this missile is relatively shorter than the Iranian missiles.

This is technically more in the Zezal family as it is considered artillery rather than BM. Which means it doesn’t have a Ballistic trajectory. It might never leave the atmosphere in that case and the warhead does not separate thus easier to detect.

I found this tidbit interesting that the maker is openly flaunting breaking Geneva Conventions and established rules of war

Strategic Implications
The LORA is a deceptive missile that hides in plain sight on a commercial freight ship. If undetected, it could launch up to 16 missiles before detection. No modifications to the ship need to be made once the weapons system is loaded on. In addition to offensive missiles, cargo ships can be equipped with cannisterized and/or concealed anti-ship missiles and guns, as well as air and missile defense interceptors and sensors; essentially making them asymmetric and concealable warships. If equipped with concealed weapon systems, cargo ships could easily slip behind enemy lines and conduct disruptive asymmetric military operations.”

Keep in mind Yemen was one of the most heavily armed countries on the planet due to decades of coups and civil wars.
Yea yea, SO WAS SADDAM. I dont buy this that much. old arms are not the same as current arms. For one, nobody knows the actual performance or state of Yemeni govt's Ballistic missile arsenal when last did they fire one properly and accurately? HOw come when they find Houth weaponse these days they are never old stocks like you claim? If Houthis were using those "old fake weapons " no one has seen but only knows of via wikipedia, Saudis would have done more damage to them naturally.
Houthi’s also received lavish weapons and support from Saudi Arabia when they teamed up to fight the then government of Saleh during 2000’s.
How much then???? $1bn? i doubt it!oh please...that money is all distributed, used up, or looted due to corruption. Saudis couldnt have given Zaydi Shia Houthis even a billion USD. BUt Saudis funded AQ in Yemen too...and probably ISIS...doing deals, mostly to keep them from attacking KSA.

Houthi’s were long regarded as one of the best guriella fighter groups in the world as again they been fighting for decades similar to Chechens.
considered best guerilla group by WHO? you? where is the paperwork to support this. I am not saying Houthis are not a competent guerilla force, all i'm saying is that you might be exaggerating their actual independent competence and ability as a guerilla group. without Iran those Houthis would be sht now due to Saudi F15s and stuff....Iran worked so well on the back end, some of you just think Houthis are locally working Saudi militarily "seamlessly". Nothing seamless- its mostly Iranian hardwork, intelligence, materials, manpower, experience, innovation,strategy.

t
This is where it would`ve made far more sense to have kept the original soumar design with its drop down turbofan engine,at least for the navy and also possibly the airforce.Not only would you have had a much more compact weapon for naval vls carriage,but you also would`ve had much greater range with this version [2500kms] and that range would`ve naturally been increased even further when carried by both naval vessels and aircraft.
Theres no reason why a naval version of the mobin could not be developed and carried aboard ship for both antiship and land attack duties,tho a better concept might be an antiship version of the dezful or zulfiqar with their increased ranges.
if we have used that design we could even put less cell on the ships . we always can use a cold launch system for our missiles

t

if we have used that design we could even put less cell on the ships . we always can use a cold launch system for our missiles
Actually if the engine position is changed, it's possible to have more missiles on the ship. If iran decides to use the Soumar in it's current shape, each canister would have a size of approximately 0.8m by 0.5m, but if the engine location is changed and a similar design as the noor missile is used, it's going to be reduced to 0.5m by 0.5m. So it's possible to have more missiles in a smaller place.

Back
Top Bottom