What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

But they took ages to complete 500 tonnes fateh. I'm afraid non of us will be around when they complete this one...

Fateh submarine, despite its relatively smaller displacement is a very advanced submarine. It is natural when you develop something like this for the first time, it will not be an easy path. Furthermore, it is important to note that the Fateh was made many years ago but it was delayed because they had to make improvements to it. These project delays are common in all militaries. The jump from the Ghadir to Fateh was more difficult than the jump from Fateh to the next submarine. But nevertheless, given the complexity of submarines, 10 years is a very reasonable time from design stage to a submarine entering service. Thus we should expect this next submarine to be ready around the 2030 time-frame. Many of the subsystems are already being developed if not completed. For example BLDC motors, AIP etc.

As Khanzali said, this next submarine will be something incredible and bring pride and glory to Iran. Whilst many nations that claim to build naval assets can not even build a marine engine, Iran under sanctions is developing its own large submarine with AIP all by itself. Any other people would be in awe with this but I suppose Iranians have very standard expectations. Not that this is a problem, Iran has much to go before it can live up to its great history and ancestors. But still lets appreciate the herculean tasks that are being completed by Iran! Look how much Iran has caught up just in few decades. Iran lost centuries of development, but it is on the rise now. We've seen nothing yet.

Fateh submarine, despite its relatively smaller displacement is a very advanced submarine. It is natural when you develop something like this for the first time, it will not be an easy path. Furthermore, it is important to note that the Fateh was made many years ago but it was delayed because they had to make improvements to it. These project delays are common in all militaries. The jump from the Ghadir to Fateh was more difficult than the jump from Fateh to the next submarine. But nevertheless, given the complexity of submarines, 10 years is a very reasonable time from design stage to a submarine entering service. Thus we should expect this next submarine to be ready around the 2030 time-frame. Many of the subsystems are already being developed if not completed. For example BLDC motors, AIP etc.

As Khanzali said, this next submarine will be something incredible and bring pride and glory to Iran. Whilst many nations that claim to build naval assets can not even build a marine engine, Iran under sanctions is developing its own large submarine with AIP all by itself. Any other people would be in awe with this but I suppose Iranians have very standard expectations. Not that this is a problem, Iran has much to go before it can live up to its great history and ancestors. But still lets appreciate the herculean tasks that are being completed by Iran! Look how much Iran has caught up just in few decades. Iran lost centuries of development, but it is on the rise now. We've seen nothing yet.

Fateh wasn’t delayed to make improvements. It was delayed because they literally rebuilt a new submarine after the hull was compromised during testing. Wasn’t built strong enough.

But they took ages to complete 500 tonnes fateh. I'm afraid non of us will be around when they complete this one...

None of us will be around? What are you 80 years old?

At most it should take a decade to build once it’s started. That’s assuming a slow development track.

1. Submarine needs lots of tests because any failure in a submarine is not forgiving. Huge casualties and cost.

2. You don’t have to declare finishing a military project, when it is done. You declare your projects either sooner or later, if ever. Transparency has no meaning in military industry unless you export it. So relying on news for timing is not correct.

3. Upgrading the Russian kilo submarines was almost making the whole new kilo sub. So you can say we already make the Kilo, despite being unable to declare it.

ویویو پنج سال پیش
۳۵۰۰ تناژ
برادر طارق رو خواهیم دید. هجده هزار قطعه طارق
ساخته شد

Last edited:
Fateh wasn’t delayed to make improvements. It was delayed because they literally rebuilt a new submarine after the hull was compromised during testing. Wasn’t built strong enough.

Fateh was delayed due to the fact they were not happy with the level of certain materials and wanted to improve them. Watch the interview with the Ex defence minister Dehghan where he talked about this. Watch the video from 29:00 mark

Last edited:
Fateh was delayed due to the fact they were not happy with the level of certain materials and wanted to improve them. Watch the interview with the Ex defence minister Dehghan where he talked about this. Watch the video from 29:00 mark

Yeah they weren’t happy with materials because during a pressure dive test the hull integrity was compromised/not deemed sufficient enough.

And building with new materials means building basically a brand new sub and starting the testing process all over again.

Citation needed. Where did you get that?

It’s not talked about a lot, I don’t feel like digging to find it. Sutton is pretty good source.

IRIS-Fateh was launched in September 2013 with the hull number 961, and subsequently refitted following sea trials before being commissioned into the Iranian Navy on 17th February 2019 with the hull number 920

http://www.hisutton.com/Fateh-Class_Submarine.html

Refitting after seas trial = hull integrity issues.

The most important part of a sea trial is the dive test which lets the Navy know the Hull is properly built as well as the safest depth the hull can dive without compromising integrity and safety of crew.

Fateh should have joined the fleet by 2015 at the latest instead it took nearly 6 years from sea trials to come back. Obviously not a simple issue.

It’s not talked about a lot, I don’t feel like digging to find it. Sutton is pretty good source.

IRIS-Fateh was launched in September 2013 with the hull number 961, and subsequently refitted following sea trials before being commissioned into the Iranian Navy on 17th February 2019 with the hull number 920

http://www.hisutton.com/Fateh-Class_Submarine.html

Refitting after seas trial = hull integrity issues.

The most important part of a sea trial is the dive test which lets the Navy know the Hull is properly built as well as the safest depth the hull can dive without compromising integrity and safety of crew.

Fateh should have joined the fleet by 2015 at the latest instead it took nearly 6 years from sea trials to come back. Obviously not a simple issue.

This is what the guy said:
“IRIS-Fateh was launched in September 2013 with the hull number 961, and subsequently refitted following sea trials before being commissioned into the Iranian Navy on 17th February 2019 with the hull number 920.”

It does not conclude what you concluded. The writer does not conclude that either. You hurry through conclusions without mentioning the sources.

This is what the guy said:
“IRIS-Fateh was launched in September 2013 with the hull number 961, and subsequently refitted following sea trials before being commissioned into the Iranian Navy on 17th February 2019 with the hull number 920.”

It does not conclude what you concluded. The writer does not conclude that either. You hurry through conclusions without mentioning the sources.

Why else would you do a refit after sea trials if it’s not due to issues with the hull?

If it was minor issue they could do that in next 2 Fatehs that were also being/planned to be build similar to how Mowj series has improvements with each ship.

It took 6 years for Fateh to come back after intial sea trials. That’s how long it takes to build a new sub. You don’t build a new sub for any small reason.

But Believe whatever you want to believe. Doesn’t matter to me.

Why else would you do a refit after sea trials if it’s not due to issues with the hull?

If it was minor issue they could do that in next 2 Fatehs that were also being/planned to be build similar to how Mowj series has improvements with each ship.

It took 6 years for Fateh to come back after intial sea trials. That’s how long it takes to build a new sub. You don’t build a new sub for any small reason.

But Believe whatever you want to believe. Doesn’t matter to me.

You can tell us it took years of trials until Fatah was ready.

You can say maybe there was hull redesign or hull issues, because of the change of the serial. Unless they changed the serial number for other reasons.

You cannot say the reason for delay was damage to the hull without a source.

It is our job to make sure the statements are correct.

You can tell us it took years of trials until Fatah was ready.

You can say maybe there was hull redesign or hull issues.

You cannot say the reason for delay was damage to the hull without a source.

It is our job to make sure the statements are correct.

You’re a nobody. And you don’t have any job besides being a troll. I don’t even know who the hell you are, more trolls show up everyday. This was talked about in this thread already.

I heard it was leaky.

I've heard that it had such a problem but I thought they would work on it to solve the problem not use its parts for second one. thx

It had structural problems and materials used for the construction of the hull were not sufficient for the depth Iran wanted out of them!

So It was disassembled and the parts were used in the new Fatteh!

If this is a secret Sub facility at best they can only fit a Ghadir sub there nothing more! So any rumor about Iran having 2 of them is unfounded

View attachment 480235
Well solving the problems required building the sub around a new hull using different type of materials

In my opinion by 2012 they should have just gone towards a larger force multiplier if they had started that project instead of fixating on the Fatteh we would have been far better off
Iran made the right move attempting the Fateh again because if it fails again at the Fateh than what makes the Besat a more sound design?

A larger displacement sub will go to much deeper depths and the pressure increases exponentially.

The last thing Iran wants is a lost sub with a crew members on board due to it being crushed like a soda can at deeper depths because of poor engineering and design.

You’re a nobody. And you don’t have any job besides being a troll. I don’t even know who the hell you are, more trolls show up everyday. This was talked about in this thread already.

Why is he a troll? Just because he disagrees with you that makes his position moot and somehow a trollish?

You've been such a stuck up prick to damn near everyone on here it is absolutely insane not to mention uncalled for, wtf is even wrong you? Can't you say shit without acting like you know everything and have all the answers for once? Or do have some innate knack for being a dick to anyone that doesn't agree with everything you say?

Jesus... get yourself you asshat, you're not the be-all and end-all around here.

Look man, as far as I'm concerned you are a valued member here since you bring a sense of much needed criticism/realism when it comes to Iranian military matters but damnit you act like a douche-sometimes.

Last edited:
None of us will be around? What are you 80 years old?
At most it should take a decade to build once it’s started. That’s assuming a slow development track.
I was exaggerating. what i meant was they will take too long to matter in current situation. whatever they are planning to make, should be a response to the threats of 2 or 3 decades from now. if they need to change anything, they can not just change the Ram or CPU or upgrade the software in a few days and be done with it.

Furthermore, it is important to note that the Fateh was made many years ago but it was delayed because they had to make improvements to it
I also read other comments about this issue. I personally never knew they had such problems and it all makes sense now. let's hope they make it and never be forced to use it.

The quality of Iranian products are generally very low and are usually a rip off from other sources. Trying to build a submarine on their own will surely have a giant learning curve. If it breaks down, unlike a tank, you can't just get off and go for a stroll. You're stuck there and ready to die in the most horrifying way - as the oxygen slowly runs out.

I personally feel they tried to make changes to a North Korean design. They perhaps should have stuck to the design given.

The quality of Iranian products are generally very low
americans learned otherwise the hard way(alasad). and so did the saudis in yemen(aramco and recent KIA general).

though i must say, having no transparency in government already took it's toll on serial production of anything made in large numbers... (I think our cars are a good example of that)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom