What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

user "hufden" from another site, indicates that the one in the photo is a minesweeper in the final construction phase, as I have indicated by the red arrows it seems to have a catamaran hull, this could be the unit you indicated

EDYiBOA.jpg

mB17g2R.jpg

It could resemble the minesweepers of the Norwegian Navy
hdmoxcP.jpg

That minesweeper is nearly 30 years old...not exactly an accomplishment to build that.

More modern examples

Venari_85-1014x487.jpg

UoQyXNHtI96oaVPYpVsDlLu2gczDQoA2lpo2ZZDWx9SKHSvDCjC_fo6utJfe3JzowI2AUKgUF2uao4gGYq46wkG4lNoO1wR1z_zPt6F3RNa5-NMqs32aavjtEdbjBQVnVphm0SuT2ASfO4ghHAJa6X0Onx1tpMA
I wrote that it looks like, not that it is the same type, so I meant it as a catamaran type of hull.
In any case, if you buy a corvette, frigate, submarine or minesweeper abroad, you must be satisfied with what the market offers, at most you can ask for modifications or systems implementation;
instead if a corvette, frigate, submarine or minesweeper makes it at home, after evaluations, you can also decide how it would be better to make the hull and not only for your needs, also referring to the type of seabed where it must then carry out its mission.
If that ship is really a minesweeper, probably Iranian experts have rated that the catamaran hull is the best choice.

I wrote that it looks like, not that it is the same type, so I meant it as a catamaran type of hull.
In any case, if you buy a corvette, frigate, submarine or minesweeper abroad, you must be satisfied with what the market offers, at most you can ask for modifications or systems implementation;
instead if a corvette, frigate, submarine or minesweeper makes it at home, after evaluations, you can also decide how it would be better to make the hull and not only for your needs, also referring to the type of seabed where it must then carry out its mission.
If that ship is really a minesweeper, probably Iranian experts have rated that the catamaran hull is the best choice.

I don’t see how a catamaran is the best choice? I am not aware of any nation using catamaran as a minesweeper as typically the minesweeper sensors and radar to locate mines is located in the back of the ship. How will this be done on a catamaran design?

Also I’m concerned that structurally catamaran’s are weaker design as there is less thickness in the hull to protect the ship.

I don’t see how a catamaran is the best choice? I am not aware of any nation using catamaran as a minesweeper as typically the minesweeper sensors and radar to locate mines is located in the back of the ship. How will this be done on a catamaran design?

Also I’m concerned that structurally catamaran’s are weaker design as there is less thickness in the hull to protect the ship.
The norwegion oksoy and alta class,the one sahureka2 posted a pic of,are catamaran mine sweepers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alta-class_minesweeper

You can also the inflated skirt covering the space between the hulls at the front which is part of the air-cushion system that it uses.

The norwegion oksoy and alta class,the one sahureka2 posted a pic of,are catamaran mine sweepers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alta-class_minesweeper

You can also the inflated skirt covering the space between the hulls at the front which is part of the air-cushion system that it uses.

Interesting. However, those ships are 25 years old. My point is modern next gen warships are not taking on catamaran design.

I am sure Iran is picking it in order to use material that has low acoustic signature in order to have least probability of Unknowingly sailing over a mine and it detonating.

But iran def needs minesweeper because in war, US will send special forces and unmanned Orca subs to mine areas around oil platforms and Iran’s territorial waters in order to hamper tankers, subs, and navy warships from leaving Iran’s waters.

Interesting. However, those ships are 25 years old. My point is modern next gen warships are not taking on catamaran design.

I am sure Iran is picking it in order to use material that has low acoustic signature in order to have least probability of Unknowingly sailing over a mine and it detonating.

But iran def needs minesweeper because in war, US will send special forces and unmanned Orca subs to mine areas around oil platforms and Iran’s territorial waters in order to hamper tankers, subs, and navy warships from leaving Iran’s waters.
Not to mention dropping from the air from long range.

One of the latest warships to use a catamaran type hull would be the norwegian skjold class corvettes,the last of which was commissioned back in 2012.Its a hybrid design using a twin catamaran hull arrangement but is also fitted with a surface effect system to generate an air cushion.
P965_KNM_Gnist.jpg

Shes only around 270 tonnes but can do up to 60knts and carries 8 antiship cruise missiles with a range of around 180kms,plus the 76mm cannon.
Theres also the taiwanese Tuo Chiang-class corvette which is a pure catamaran design.This was commissioned back in late 2014.It manages to pack no less than 16 antiship cruise missiles [8 subsonic+8 supersonic],a ciws and a 76mm cannon into a 500+ tonnes hull,tho the max speed is only 40knts
%E6%B2%B1%E6%B1%9F%E8%89%A6.jpg

I think in the event of any future conflict that it would likely be iran doing the mining and probably on a very big scale,altho I could see the us attempting counter-mining.Its also possible we could see the us attempting it as part of a dirty tricks campaign or as an attempt to preempt and bottle up iranian naval forces prior to some large scale attack.
Ultimately regardless of the outcome of any conflict there would likely have to be a huge amount of demining and clean up work done by ALL sides to get maritime traffic flowing again in the persian gulf.

One of the latest warships to use a catamaran type hull would be the norwegian skjold class corvettes,the last of which was commissioned back in 2012.Its a hybrid design using a twin catamaran hull arrangement but is also fitted with a surface effect system to generate an air cushion.
P965_KNM_Gnist.jpg

Shes only around 270 tonnes but can do up to 60knts and carries 8 antiship cruise missiles with a range of around 180kms,plus the 76mm cannon.
Theres also the taiwanese Tuo Chiang-class corvette which is a pure catamaran design.This was commissioned back in late 2014.It manages to pack no less than 16 antiship cruise missiles [8 subsonic+8 supersonic],a ciws and a 76mm cannon into a 500+ tonnes hull,tho the max speed is only 40knts
%E6%B2%B1%E6%B1%9F%E8%89%A6.jpg

I think in the event of any future conflict that it would likely be iran doing the mining and probably on a very big scale,altho I could see the us attempting counter-mining.Its also possible we could see the us attempting it as part of a dirty tricks campaign or as an attempt to preempt and bottle up iranian naval forces prior to some large scale attack.
Ultimately regardless of the outcome of any conflict there would likely have to be a huge amount of demining and clean up work done by ALL sides to get maritime traffic flowing again in the persian gulf.

But don't forget an old friend North Korea who has been making surface effect catamarans for many years

Tg5MVrO.jpg

klrr3F7.jpg

and another type of larger size and displacement
JqzMLTC.jpg
cwTRphx.jpg

But don't forget an old friend North Korea who has been making surface effect catamarans for many years

Tg5MVrO.jpg

klrr3F7.jpg

and another type of larger size and displacement
JqzMLTC.jpg
cwTRphx.jpg
LOL!!
You`re quite right,how could I be so stupid!?:tsk:
PS
I`d seen the smaller kh35 equipped ship before but not this new larger one.
IMG_20180410_181827.jpg

Definitely something for iran to seriously consider,plus hydrofoils and wig/ekranoplan aircraft as well.

Last edited:
I just rewatched the interview with Admiral Khanzadi from January and it seems Besat will not be 3000 Tons but larger. By the way he was describing it, I get the feeling it will potentially be much larger. Watch the video below from 41:00

The reasonings for making Besat even larger are very sound. Fateh submarine and its next generation which are larger and with AIP are the perfect type of submarines for the Persians Gulf and sea of Oman and even a bit beyond that. I recon sharing manufacturing budget between Fateh with the 3000 ton Besat makes less economic and military sense than sharing it with a more capable and larger submarine. It seems they just decided to go straight for a large blue water submarine that will patrol the Indian ocean and everything beyond. This is a good strategy as it will benefit Iran In many ways, including the time factor, as they would had to develop the Besat (ready by 2030/2035 time frame) and then spend another 10-15 times developing heavier submarines. The question now is, what size do we think Besat will be?

Last edited:
I recon sharing manufacturing budget between Fateh with the 3000 ton Besat makes less economic and military sense than sharing it with a more capable and larger submarine
But they took ages to complete 500 tonnes fateh. I'm afraid non of us will be around when they complete this one...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom