What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

domestically-built Sina-class missile boat

DQTRtWbXUAIKkLt.jpg

DQTRw6XXUAADME7.jpg

from this image that I found, it seems that my hypothesis of a helicopter hangar is not exact, the superstructure seems to be a refinement of the one installed on the Sahand where the new CIWS is positioned, the part towards the bow of the ship of the superstructure indicated by me, seems to have very sloping sheets, so as to increase the stealth characteristics.

c5Suucn.png

nbkmwa5.png

from this image that I found, it seems that my hypothesis of a helicopter hangar is not exact, the superstructure seems to be a refinement of the one installed on the Sahand where the new CIWS is positioned, the part towards the bow of the ship of the superstructure indicated by me, seems to have very sloping sheets, so as to increase the stealth characteristics.

c5Suucn.png

nbkmwa5.png

do you think this warship going to open new generation of structure building in our warships? what do you think of this Damavand_2 if you want to compare it with other Iranian warships?

do you think this warship going to open new generation of structure building in our warships? what do you think of this Damavand_2 if you want to compare it with other Iranian warships?

My point of view.
From the outset that Iranian design and shipbuilding for military units destined for the blue sea is young, it must face strong foreign sanctions which precludes it from many collaborations with other nations.
Looking at the major units built or under construction, it seems that naval engineers and technicians have used the theory of small steps, improving the characteristics of the new units also compatibly with what the national industry could offer again (components, armaments, radars, electronic systems, diesel engines, etc.).
Today it seems that a standardization has been achieved in the realization of the hulls, instead they are the superstructures that have been continuously updated:
Jamaran, Damavand similar but not equal;
Sahand with new superstructures and Shiraz made for a different operational use;
then we witness the realization of what we call Damavand-2, and here we see a great commitment in creating a unit with distinct stealth characteristics.
I think this is the configuration that can be reproduced in series, but, and there is always a but, they are units of not high displacement and of dimensions, therefore it is very difficult to arm them adequately in order to cover all the sectors; yes, we tried to make them as multi-purpose as possible with the weapon systems that Iran has available, but at the moment it is only the offensive part that can be considered optimal, whereas the ASW fight can be considered defensive with 324mm , and the ASW helicopter that can be accommodated on board, could hardly operate continuously since the absence of a hangar would make maintenance problems during long-range operations problematic (the situation for Shiraz is different).
Anti-air missile defense with 2 ready-to-use missiles and maybe 2 more in reserve, yes it is better than nothing, but it is easy to understand that they are absolutely not enough; simple alternative to create a classic 6/8 cell launcher or better still a VLS of at least 8 cells, this to have more missiles ready to use.
To overcome some problems, the next step is to build larger ships, yes, it is said that in the future there will be a real destroyer, but you could also think of pantographing the Damavand-2 to extrapolate a unit of about 110/115 meters of length (+/- as a Lupo class frigate) to have an ave with better navigation features on the high seas and to have enough space for a helicopter hangar and weapon systems.
Of course, to build this ship, you need suitable engines, or powerful diesel engines, or gas turbines.
I'd be curious to see a 2500-ton Damavand-2 and 115 meters long, hangar, VLS etc.

Without VLS these ships are borderline useless and defenseless. Good for pirate missions and patrolling.

I don’t expect Iran to move to bigger warships under these sanctions. Foreign purchases (destroyers/cruisers/frigates) will also be needed in the future to inject modern design/technology into iran’s Shipbuilding industry.

Without VLS these ships are borderline useless and defenseless. Good for pirate missions and patrolling.

I don’t expect Iran to move to bigger warships under these sanctions. Foreign purchases (destroyers/cruisers/frigates) will also be needed in the future to inject modern design/technology into iran’s Shipbuilding industry.

No! I disagree, if you just want to patrol, make OPVs.
These Iranian units, have excellent offensive abilities (4 anti-ship missiles) and an ASW research and defense capacity, OK not adequate in number the antiaircraft missile abilities, but still have 76/62 and now also a CIWS.
Therefore it is reductive that you consider them as OPVs, I think yours was an answer given too quickly.

Last edited:
No! I disagree, if you just want to patrol, make OPVs.
These Iranian units, have excellent offensive abilities (4 anti-ship missiles) and an ASW research and defense capacity, OK not adequate in number the antiaircraft missile abilities, but still have 76/62 and now also a CIWS.
Therefore it is reductive that you consider them as OPVs, I think yours was an answer given too quickly.

My friend operation praying mantis showed that these frigates do not stand a chance against concentrated firepower.

While these ships today are more advanced due to upgrades than their 1970 counterpart, the threats they now face are also considerably more advanced.

In a future Iranian battle group, some of their flaws may be masked by bigger ships surrounding them. But currently they are the lead ship and thus incredibly vulnerable against a salvo attack of anti ship missile/cruise missile.

The fact Iran has either refused or is struggling to build a VLS for these or future ships is quite concerning. A future version could remove the helicopter pad/hanger completely and opt for a 8-12 cell VLS configuration.

Furthermore, a naval version of Talash system carrying Sayaad 2 and 3 AA missiles is also needed. Now that may be to big for this ship but future bigger ships need a modern SAM system.

well to be honest i don't know much about ships i just find them cool and posted.:D:D
but now that we are talking about ships, do you know how many tanks our hengam classes can carry??
i would appreciate if you answer be, because it's a long time that one thing is bothering me: in case of war with PGCC, can we bring some tanks to the battle field with hengams or not??
TwV8yCA.png
did iran upgrade the cms onboard too?? btw im interested in what CMS iran navy possess

did iran upgrade the cms onboard too?? btw im interested in what CMS iran navy possess
if by cms you mean cruise missiles, iran uses c-802/noor missiles or if you mean counter measures, for now kamand CIWS and chaffs are only ones.

if by cms you mean cruise missiles, iran uses c-802/noor missiles or if you mean counter measures, for now kamand CIWS and chaffs are only ones.

The Secret History of Iran Noor cruise missile and how Iran manage to build it by itself and upgrade it and how Chinese cheated Iran by cancelling the joint project one sided and eating Iran money . the ex CIA officer explain how Iran manage to finish the project and bypass sanction and made 5 times better cruise missile called Noor which has much more capabilities than the Chinese type

now it is been confirmed after i been saying it nearly for past 12 years

دریادار محتاج: موشک C۸۰۲ پروژه مشترک ایران و چین بود/ ناگفته هایی از ساخت ناوشکن و موشک در نیروی دریایی ارتش
امیر محتاج: چین در دوران جنگ به ما سلاحی نداد. بعد از جنگ تعدادی موشک و سلاح به ما فروخت.

https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/1398/03/21/2017124/با-فرماندهان-ــ-2-دریادار-محتاج-موشک-c802-پروژه-مشترک-ایران-و-چین-بود-ناگفته-هایی-از-ساخت-ناوشکن-و-موشک-در-نیروی-دریایی-ارتش

FOR ALL THE FOOLS WHO THINK CHINA OR RUSSIA WILL HELP IRAN

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom