What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

From the web the first photo of the Sahand frigate with the new CIWS system on board, looks like the Russian AK-630, but it looks like it has a stealth dome

2nvfchy.jpg

From the web the first photo of the Sahand frigate with the new CIWS system on board, looks like the Russian AK-630, but it looks like it has a stealth dome

2nvfchy.jpg
Ahh,you just beat me to it.
Its good to finally see this fitted as it is literally YEARS overdue,hopefully they will swiftly equip the rest of irans larger vessels with this system as well,because they need it badly.

This is probably the best CIWS solution for Iran in 2018.

Reason:
- No long covering range necessary to protect a group of ships: These ships will travel mostly alone for the foreseeable future. So no need for high caliber or missile CIWS.

- No need for a Separate radar because of now available high capability thermal imager. Like the Seraj system probably does the job of the Skyguard better than the original. Main radar will pick-up the threat and optics will track it.

- In all key parameters it is more deadly than the Phalanx

This is probably the best CIWS solution for Iran in 2018.

Reason:
- No long covering range necessary to protect a group of ships: These ships will travel mostly alone for the foreseeable future. So no need for high caliber or missile CIWS.

- No need for a Separate radar because of now available high capability thermal imager. Like the Seraj system probably does the job of the Skyguard better than the original. Main radar will pick-up the threat and optics will track it.

- In all key parameters it is more deadly than the Phalanx

we hope to have the technical data including the caliber soon

2nvfchy.jpg
Is it only one or I just can't see another one from this angle .

aft of the ship only one,
I thought there was room for two systems aft, probably was a choice dictated by problems related to the weight of the superstructure that had to be realized to make the ammunition deposit for two CIWS.

Back
Top Bottom