What's new

Iranian movies are really good

Aspen

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I started watching some Iranian movies during this corona lockdown and I was surprised how good and high quality they are. I started by watching Shahrzad and then watched some other films. It turns out some of them even won Academy awards. I had no idea about this, but Iranian films are definitely among the best I have seen from any country. Pakistan and India film industry is trash in comparison to Iranian films. The excellent camerawork and storylines of Iranian films really impressed me. Cinematography and setting is second to none. So far I have watched about a dozen of them and I am amazed how raw and relatable they feel to real life but with a sense of drama and element of surprise sharp enough to strike the perfect balance. Iranian movies are truly a hidden treasure, I wish somebody had told me about them earlier. One thing I have found interesting is that in all of them, there is this really unique thing about the style of some Iranian films where you can almost kind of guess what is going to happen but you still get shocked when it happens because you didn't actually expect it. It's really hard to explain because the endings are surprising, sometimes almost shocking in a weird way because once you get surprised, you realize you shouldn't have been surprised at all. Many times, there is an interesting element of strategic depth where the ending is not obvious so you kind of have to put together a puzzle to realize what is going on so you can understand the hidden message in the ending. Iranian movies are absolutely fascinating, unlike anything else I have ever seen.

If anyone has specific recommendations on some more Farsi films to watch, post them

https://farsiland.com/movies/

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of Iranian movies in the last 15 years, but if time doesn't matter to you, I suggest you to check Majid Majidi's movies. Children of Heaven, Color of Paradise, Baran, etc. Kiarostami has good movies too, but they're a bit more artistic and can be boring sometimes.

I'm not a big fan of Iranian movies in the last 15 years, but if time doesn't matter to you, I suggest you to check Majid Majidi's movies. Children of Heaven, Color of Paradise, Baran, etc. Kiarostami has good movies too, but they're a bit more artistic and can be boring sometimes.

I watched Bache ha ye Asman and Baran, they were very nicely done. I heard Kiarostami is good but I haven't watched his films yet

Pakistan and India film industry is trash in comparison to Iranian films.

not a big fan of bollywood myself, but calling bollywood trash is just showing your bias, some of their production is of high quality.

Brilliant writing and direction. See the Iranian horror movie - "Under the Shadow". It's there on Netflix.

I heard about this, is it the one with Narges Rashidi?

Then watch Rang-e Khoda (Color of Paradise in English). It's his best film in my opinion.

I will definitely check it out

Pakistani film industry is trash, but historically Pakistan has had a very versatile and commanding television drama industry which is also going through revival since past decade. dramas like ABC, dhuwan etc were masterpieces of pakistani production.

regards

A friend sent me this list and I am working my way through it

EnyC332.jpg

lvfhlaO.jpg

lzoPOP2.jpg

Then watch Rang-e Khoda (Color of Paradise in English). It's his best film in my opinion.

Wouldnt Rang e Khuda be, The colors of God?

not a big fan of bollywood myself, but calling bollywood trash is just showing your bias, some of their production is of high quality.

Please take this kachra somewhere else.

Wouldnt Rang e Khuda be, The colors of God?
Yeah. The Color of God to be more precise. I don't know why they decided to use that name in English. Probably they thought some people might be offended by interpreting that the movie is associating a color to God. But you're right. The literal translation is The Color of God.

I started watching some Iranian movies during this corona lockdown and I was surprised how good and high quality they are. I started by watching Shahrzad and then watched some other films. It turns out some of them even won Academy awards. I had no idea about this, but Iranian films are definitely among the best I have seen from any country. Pakistan and India film industry is trash in comparison to Iranian films. The excellent camerawork and storylines of Iranian films really impressed me. Cinematography and setting is second to none. So far I have watched about a dozen of them and I am amazed how raw and relatable they feel to real life but with a sense of drama and element of surprise sharp enough to strike the perfect balance. Iranian movies are truly a hidden treasure, I wish somebody had told me about them earlier. One thing I have found interesting is that in all of them, there is this really unique thing about the style of some Iranian films where you can almost kind of guess what is going to happen but you still get shocked when it happens because you didn't actually expect it. It's really hard to explain because the endings are surprising, sometimes almost shocking in a weird way because once you get surprised, you realize you shouldn't have been surprised at all. Many times, there is an interesting element of strategic depth where the ending is not obvious so you kind of have to put together a puzzle to realize what is going on so you can understand the hidden message in the ending. Iranian movies are absolutely fascinating, unlike anything else I have ever seen.

If anyone has specific recommendations on some more Farsi films to watch, post them

https://farsiland.com/movies/
Which decade's Iranian movies you got to see? And how do you access old Iranian movies?

- PRTP GWD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom